My new DIY chapter

Rognvaldr

Hi guys. I've been lurking around here for a bit and have found this site to be great inspiration to get back into the game and try my hand at a DIY chapter. I had some old SM models from Battle for Macgragge set, so i started painting. Before i finished them i was out to the local GW buying some more!(you can see them in the background). Anyway these guys are what i have painted so far, but they arn't finished yet. I still need to do highlighting and bases and decals. Im not going for anything fancy because A: i dont have the skill and B: if i take too much time per model i know i'll never get much done. Don't have a chapter name yet, was thinking Sons of Thunder maybe? Fluff is pretty minimal right now, not so good at writing, but id like something norse-y feeling, gonna try making their chapter symbol a walknot. Any-who, c&c welcome.

gallery_44330_3497_51435.jpg

Very nice and crisp!

I would consider changing the red colour to something of less contrast, because currently the red gets the focus of theentire miniature. Also consider highlighting the purity seals up to bone to make it look more like parchment. The final comment is that the helmet / face tend to be the first place anyone looks, so carefully highlight the skin of the sergeant and the eye lenses on the helmets one extra step.

Looking forward to seeing them with completed bases!

Thanks for the responses!

Setomidor, im still considering the red, i kinda like it but i see what you mean, any suggestions for a different color?

I managed to get a some highlighting done on the sgt. today. Fortress gray for the gray armor and ultramarines blue for the shoulder/knee pads. I put some bleached bone on the parchments and then devlan mud wash, i will probobly go back and do another highlight in bleached bone and skull white. I forgot how bad i suck at flesh tones!! That head gave me alot of trouble and i can't say im very happy with it but its not getting any more attention(well maybe later). Also i changed the sgt's mask to blue because im giving all the sgt's blue helmets. This guys pritty much to the level i want my army to(sans base).

gallery_44330_3497_1326170.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, well i decided to change the purity seals to purple, i think its less distracting now. also i make the eyes alot brighter green, now im not sure if its too bright.. might take it down from scorpion to snot.

gallery_44330_3497_950635.jpg

Also started the next 3 tacticals.

gallery_44330_3497_1141189.jpg

Rognvaldr, those are some pretty marine! You say you dont have skill, but you can produce a clean crisp paint job! It also proves that a clean crisp paint job looks good without needing fancy highlights, feathering, blending and whatnot! Colours look good, look forward to seeing more!

Very nice colour scheme ...very similar to one I came up with!

gallery_4484_3548_45781.jpg

I called my Chapter the Sea Falcons, but I don't think I'll ever use them (too many other ideas to do first). I thought the black upper legs gave a little extra contrast.

Good luck with your Chapter! :)

Very nice! I tried grey on some of my minis once and it looked like I hadn't painted them from a distance. lol But yours look great with the details all filled in like that. Good Job. :)

• 5 months later...

hi again, so yeah, the uber slow army painting has a progressed a little. i have a 5 man assault squad coming along. not done but i figured id throw them up on here to spur me on to completion. not sure if i want to paint the sgt's shield blue or leave it black, i will paint the chapter symbol on it too, once i come up with one ;)

gallery_44330_3497_625892.jpg

Lookin good, Rognvaldr!

Nice, crisp and clean paint job. Very striking. Keep up the good work.

The only thing I think is missing is a hard contrast color on some details. A light orange on some power cables or maybe even orange eyes would "pop" your grey and blue scheme and make it less monochromatic. Then again, I am kind of a nutter when it comes to orange.

When I looked at your first pic I thought the green eyes didn't look great, the lighter green certainly improved the look of them but like the rest of the guys I think the orange is better. Maybe try adding some red to the corners and a tiny white slither across the top of the lense, certainly isn't above you painting level and brings them to life. There is a few tut's around to properly explain this if your not sure how to go about it.

Really nice Marines though, there is a lot to be said about neatly applied paint in a nice scheme, looking forward to seeing some more.

• 3 weeks later...

i've have another problem... i tried red instead of blue on one model and now i dont know which one to pick. right now im leaning toward switching to red, because i feel like they would be a more striking army en masse with the red. The blue makes me think more of a police force where the red makes me think of a killing force, and space marines are killing machines!! It wouldn't take alot of repainting to get what i have done switched. But the blue does look good too. arggggg mr indecisive here. Have a look and let me know what u guys think. Thx! Also i chose to use the knee pad as the company markings, so these guys will be 5th company of... whatever i name the chapter.

gallery_44330_3497_617524.jpg

Personally i think the blue looks better. My reasons are fairly simple, the red although very appealing makes the model look more mono toned. The neutral grey, then a neutral silver color, then the red everywhere else makes it kinda bland overall. THe blue however makes the eyes stand out, and also the blue is bright which helps bring vividness to the neutral color. Overall i think its a better choice, because it looks like it has more color.

Thats just me but i think you should keep the blue.

Archived