My first Black Templar squad

Moonfish

Hey all, i'm new to these forums but been lurking around for awhile.. great place for inspiration, it's mainly what pushed me to start painting seeing all these wonderfully painted Warhammer models :D

So anyway I've been painting for just over a month now, I saw a collection of 21 perfectly usable Citadel paints going for cheap on eBay, I just couldn't refuse so I won them for £16 :) which pushed me to start painting. Anyway after reading up a bit on methods on painting (mostly on these boards) I experimented a bit with various Space marine chapters. I was going to go with Ultramarines but realise they are a bit too.. rounded and common for my taste, as i'm sure alot of people would feel the same way about them :P my first attempts weren't so great, so after a few weeks of practicing I finally decided on starting a Black Templar Tactical squad.

Now 8 years ago I did briefly paint some Space Marines, but I was absolutley horrific as I evidently found digging up some old Space Marines from the past, so I got some paint stripper and re-used pretty much all of my old Marines as they are quite pricey to grab new; although I did buy a box of new ones because some of the older models were beyond use again. I also painted up an Apothecary which I got for £2.50 on eBay (completley stripped, bargain!) after my Tactical squad and put them together for a pic - my first Black Templar units.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii185/Moonfishthing/Templars007.jpg?t=1240172459

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii185/Moonfishthing/Templars011.jpg?t=1240173980

Half of these guys are my old re-used marines, which I think turned out pretty decent considering the state they were in before :P also the Apothecary bounced the flash back at the cam a bit being white n all, so here's one of him without the flash

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii185/Moonfishthing/Templars013.jpg?t=1240173229

Any criticism/comments/tips/whatever are welcome! I plan to start playing soon as i've never tried playing the Tabletop before but having played lots of Dawn of War 2 recently fired up a passion for it, trying to get my head around all the rules so far i'm very intrigued.

Also any tips on what I should go for next to expand my army? I'm quite oblivious when it comes to picking units for painting and playing on Tabletop (I tend to take both into consideration, I'm not a fan of painting metal models as they always chip so easily :D ) but yeah any advice? I was thinking maybe a Dreadnought or some Terminators (i've heard the assault ones aren't advisable). Thanks again!

mmm they are really good, especially for a first squad

you sgt. seems to be weilding a giant banner with nothing on though, any particular reason? Also the white paint looks a bit thick here and there (something all my bright colours suffer from as i cant be bothered to apply multiple coats heh :D)

Thanks :) oh yeah, I tried to do a free-hand cross on it but failed miserably, and I was too lazy to fix it properly as the chainsword obstructs my paintbrush <_< I'll probably just pull it off and give it another try but i've no experience doing freehand :<

Any units in particular where the white seems to be quite thick? I didn't notice it myself but for some of the shoulders I drybrushed white on quite thick, because I got really bored of layering it on properly although having tried the watery-white layering technique it gives a far more rewarding result so i'll do that from now on :P

Just wondering if you've read the BT codex at all. They don't exactly have your standard tactical squad with sergeants and all that. They are strongest as a close combat army.

Anyways, nice painting. I've never been a huge fan of blue highlights for black armor, but you did them well. Your white looks good as well. You should just use transfers for the banner if you have no skill at free hand (like me). Definitely buy some upgrade packs for your templars for your next round of minis, or get the pieces off ebay. They add flavor to templars. Dark Angles robes mix well with templars too.

Welcome to the chapter

Really good job with the blacks but you need to work on the whites a bit. It looks like you painted white first and then shaded with gray. Try painting gray and highlighting up to white instead. I haven't finished my Apothecary (Sanguinary High Priest) yet and admittedly I didn't use white as much as you did, but for an idea, here's how it looks that way:

gallery_14285_3462_67627.jpg

welcome to the Chapter! Your Initiates look pretty good, although personally i'm not a fan of the highlighting method you used...looks to extreme for my tastes. That, and work on your cloth/banners, and your white. But, all in all, they are way better than my first attempt, so kudos! Now go purge some heretics.

Thanks for the feedback guys, hmm i'm not really sure how to improve on the cloth. I did mank up the tabard-thing though just couldn't be bothered to highlight it thus it looks quite bad :teehee: any suggestions on how to improve the shading on cloth/robes etc? oh and I realise the highlighting looks a bit extreme when well illuminated, but under normal light they look far more subtle so i'm quite pleased how fenris grey compliments the black. I'm guessing most people use Codex grey then Fortress grey for highlighting Black Templar? could try that on some of the new initiates I plan to buy, i'll get a BT upgrade kit aswell to give them a more dedicated feel.

The way I do clothe now is start with graveyard earth. Then highlight with equal parts of greaveyard earth and bleached bone. Then highlight with straight bone. Then light highlight with bleached bone mixed with a touch of skull white. Wash the entire thing down with devlan mud. You can check the results by clicking the link in my sig, the most recently added pics.

In my mind the best way to highlight black is a highlight of equal parts black and codex grey and then a light highlight of codex grey. But if you like the fenris grey, stick with it.

Oh and of course, slightly water down all your paints, especially when highlighting. They blend better that way.

Good luck

Cheers for the tip, very nice army dude I love your robes! I tried a technique recently following pretty much what you said, except I used snakebite leather; and also got a Black Templar upgrade kit, which i'm really pleased I did get because they look so much more themed and interesting!

Anyway here's my robe-attempt on my first BT initiate (he's not finished as you can see :lol:) -

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii185/Moonfishthing/stuff001.jpg?t=1240411121

About highlighting i'm not too confident in doing, but i'm going to attempt doing two-layered highlights like you mentioned. The colours I intend to use are Codex grey for base highlight then Fortress grey for the extreme highlight, i've not tried this myself yet but will those colours be suitable for highlighting? or should I use a darker base-colour and then codex grey for 2nd highlight?

Nice work.. welcome to the brotherhood. Please continue posting updates, I look forward to reviewing your efforts.

Templar are an easy paint scheme...easy to do well and easy to mess up. Paint up a sample until your happy with it and then mass produce from there. The more you try the better you will get.

Nice work on the robes. Nice clean highlights. I used to do straight codex and fortress grey highlights as you saw, but now I'm leaning in the direction of doing a darker base highlight and then a follow up of codex.

It comes out like this: http://www.minivault.com/images/Templars2SBJ.JPG

The other way comes out like this: http://lh3.ggpht.com/FromtheWarp/SKSpTmasm...20technique.jpg

None of those are my minis of course :P

Archived