The Howling Sons

Kable

Hey all,

After yet another change of chapters to paint i have finally gone with a chapter to call my own my own (Hopefully if the name is not taken!) I present to you my first WIP of my chapter, the Howling Sons:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh278/Lachbox/103_1656.jpg

He is about half done atm and the direction im taking him with. I am currently deciding on what to highlight him with as I've never really seen many orange chapters. Ive also been thinking on whether if i should paint the arms white as well (sort of aiming for the Flesh Tearer style painted armour). The knee pad i figured would be a good place to paint company colours as im going for a checked style of iconography (the Green represents the company colour and the white signifying the White Scars 'successor-ship') The unpainted shoulder will have the squad markings and with the right bearing the chapter symbol as with most marines.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh278/Lachbox/103_1664.jpg

Just some more on the way and a test Terminator. Hopefully i'll have at least a finished combat squad out of these guys once i tinker them out the way i want them. Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated! C&C is welcome!

Cheers!

Edited by Kable

Ahhh...one more for the Cult of Orange.

Very nice start you have going there. I would leave the scheme the way it is. White shoulders/helm with orange body is good. Are you going to carry the green from the knee pads through as your accent color (eye lenses and such)?

This thread might help you in finding a good highlight color (along with showing you the numerous orange Chapters here at the B&C):

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...5&hl=orange

Kurgan the Lurker: Thanks mate! I was was thinking about the eyes as i always do them last. I'm not sure if i will do a bright or dark green yet, but yes it will be green.

Karitas: Many thanks! I think i will keep the white the way it is and Ill focus on bringing the orange out a bit and detailing the mini up with scratches and battle marks etc etc.

Essentially my orange is a thinned layer of Macharius Solar Orange over the model. I paint it straight on the model without an undercoat as the foundation is quite thick but you can paint it on with a undercoated model if you wish. After i have let that dry i wash the entire model with Badab Black and then begin to touch up the orange with some more thinned layers. I leave the recesses black as it brings out the grooves and details of the power armour. With highlighting i first tried using blazing orange but Ive been mucking round with Solar Orange mixed with a bit of skull white.

As i said before in my first post im still experimenting with my style of orange but hopefully i will have found the style ill go with the whole army. Ill have some more update pics very soon as im painting some more now. And thanks for the comment Qu1f!

Update Time! (well not really that much...)

Been testing out my terminator test scheme and another power armoured marine over the last couple of days and here is what i got:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh278/Lachbox/103_1717.jpg

Also Ive been working on a captain conversion from the AOBR captain:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh278/Lachbox/103_1688.jpg

His sword and shield arms will be reposed to look more in formation with the rest of his body as Ive only put them on there just to show you the general idea of the way i want him to look when i start on him.

Here's just a clearer shot of my 90% done Howling Son:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh278/Lachbox/Reszie1.jpg

More to come soon. Cheers

Thanks for all the replies! Good to know im on the right track.

@Kikunosuke - The name was hard to make up. I originally started off with Iron Scars but as i wanted them to be a White Scars successor i didn't want them to include any part of their parent chapter in their name. A friend of mine who works at my local GW suggested the Howling part and that i use a word from the how to paint space marines chapter creation section and thus the Howling Sons were born. I was thinking of adding the white scars tribal look to them but unsure of the colour i would use. As for history wise im writing up an Index Astartes article but the trouble is trying to make it unique from all the other cool articles the B&C already has. But ill get there eventually!

they look beautiful Kable, fantastic orange and really nicely painted, white is very smooth. have you planned colour for weapon casings, purity seals, pouches etc?

Lysimachus

edit: and the Captain looks awesome, is that a Relic Blade/Storm Shield combo?

Edited by Strike Captain Lysimachus

@Kikunosuke - The name was hard to make up. I originally started off with Iron Scars but as i wanted them to be a White Scars successor i didn't want them to include any part of their parent chapter in their name. A friend of mine who works at my local GW suggested the Howling part and that i use a word from the how to paint space marines chapter creation section and thus the Howling Sons were born. I was thinking of adding the white scars tribal look to them but unsure of the colour i would use. As for history wise im writing up an Index Astartes article but the trouble is trying to make it unique from all the other cool articles the B&C already has. But ill get there eventually!

Ah, a White Scars successors chapter. As for the scar markings, red would look good on the white helmets as well as complement the orange armour. Just make'em really savage-looking & Bob's yer uncle. :(

I hope you won't mind my saying, but on the initial impression, the chapter name Howling Sons doesn't immediately conjure up the White Scars connection very well. (If I may dare to suggest: Death Riders, Sons of the Mathuli, Lightning Sons, Heralds of the Storm, Khan's Pride?)

Writing fluff is definitely not a simple task; with so many chapters out there, the re-hashing & recycling of themes can hardly be avoided. The way I see it, as long as your happy with the fluff you've written, I'd say that it's already unique.

@ Strike Captain Lysimachus - Thanks for the comment! Yeah the captain is relic blade/storm shield combo, I basically wanted him to be a killing machine, lol. The bolters are going to be a dark green, purity seals i have no idea and the pouches probably a leather colour.

@ Kikunosuke -

I hope you won't mind my saying, but on the initial impression, the chapter name Howling Sons doesn't immediately conjure up the White Scars connection very well. (If I may dare to suggest: Death Riders, Sons of the Mathuli, Lightning Sons, Heralds of the Storm, Khan's Pride?)

Not a problem at all :lol: . Its always good to get feedback. Lightning Sons is tempting, very tempting.... But the 'Howling' part goes toward their history. Now im in a fluff writing mode!

Kable you should always use an undercoat on your models as i was talking with a staff member in my local store (i say staff but it was the manager) and he said the undercoat lets the rest of the paint stick onto the model better and stuff.

but nice stuff loving the 90% done marine

Looking really nice, I like the choice and placement of colors. I don't see many orange marines, probably because orange can be an odd color to decide how to shade and highlight as you found out. I think taking the extra effort to get it sorted on the first model or two like you are doing will make things infinately easier on yourself later on.

Fantastic job Kable. I love the orange and white combination and your orange looks splendid.

If you want trible markings to stand out you should probably use white to be honest. Leave a small blackline between the white and the orange.

The captain conversion look great!

I think the name Howling Sons evokes a certain marauding type feel that really fits the idea of a White Scars successor chapter.

Also, if you are painting straight onto the plastic with the paints, make sure you dull coat the figures or the paint will rub off rather quickly. Even if you are't completely done with them, give them a coat real quick. You can paint over dull coat so it won't hurt anything.

Edited by Chronowraith

@firestorm40k - Thanks! I'm going to update within the next day or so with some more progress.

@GumbaFish -

I think taking the extra effort to get it sorted on the first model or two like you are doing will make things infinately easier on yourself later on.

Very true. I wanted to sort out the test mini to see what direction i would paint the colour scheme in. Now i have a whole squad incoming atm which im undercoating. And thanks for the comment!

@Chronowraith -

If you want tribe markings to stand out you should probably use white to be honest. Leave a small blackline between the white and the orange.

:P I will be trying this.

Also, if you are painting straight onto the plastic with the paints, make sure you dull coat the figures or the paint will rub off rather quickly. Even if you are't completely done with them, give them a coat real quick. You can paint over dull coat so it won't hurt anything.

Advice noted! After i am finished painting the current squad im working on i was consdiering painting the next with and undercoat to see if there is any difference. I only only painted this squad without an undercoat cause i ran out and mate suggested i try it out because that's the way he paints his Dark Angels. Many thanks!

I will have updates within the next day or so. The way i paint is sort of 'off and on'. But seeing how you have all taken interest in the Howling Sons its just motivated me more to get them off the production line.

Cheers!

Also Ive been working on a captain conversion from the AOBR captain:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh278/Lachbox/103_1688.jpg

I like the idea for your Captain. I'm curious, were is the sword from that he's holding?

I don't think the name has to have any connection with the parent chapter. There are several successor chapters that don't seem to have any connection with their parent chapter in their name or even in their background. (Doom Legion, Silver Skulls, etc...)

@AngryJohnny: The sword looks like it came from the Ravenwing bike squadron sprue with the sides of the blade-tip shaved down abit.

And Kable, I apologise for expressing my opinion on the matter of the chapter name.

Edited by Kikunosuke

@AngryJohnny: The sword looks like it came from the Ravenwing bike squadron sprue with the sides of the blade-tip shaved down abit.

Absolutely correct Kikunosuke!

And Kable, I apologise for expressing my opinion on the matter of the chapter name.

No need! Is all cool :).

Updates coming soon. Work has been getting most of my attention lately but i have a day off coming up so ill have a heap of stuff getting done and posted up. Been mostly working on a terminator Squad and a termie librarian. I keep neglecting my tactical squads, Poor buggers!