IA: Iron Warlords

Ecritter

[img; background-image:url(http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/hq2.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: 8px 2px; padding: 12px 8px 12px 8px; border: 1px solid #DDD; margin-left: 0 auto; text-align: left; color: #fff; text-indent:50px; font-size:130%; width:50%;">http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c162/ecritter/Space%20Marines/winged-skull.png[/img]
”In war the only sure defense is offense,
and the efficiency of the offense depends on the warlike souls of those conducting it”

I
n an Imperium set upon from all sides by vile alien races and the forces of chaos and from within by heretical forces set on domination, a new warrior chapter rises to counter the continuing threat. From the seed of Rogal Dorn, a new breed of cold, unfeeling space marines is born. With skill and drive, the Warlords entered the war with one goal ... to completely destroy those that stand against the Emperor. They have but one simple rule, if you are not a space marine, you are scum and if you stand against the Imperium you will die. There can be no exception to the rule.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c162/ecritter/Space%20Marines/DragoonsonPatrol-1.png

The Iron Warlords' Fleet

B
y order of the High Lords of Terra in response to recent alien incursions and possibly to the recent Age of Apostasy, the 22th Founding was ordered to bolster the forces of the Space Marines in the mid 36 century of man. Using the gene-seed of Rogal Dorn by way of the Iron Knights, the Iron Warlords were created and immediately began preparations for the grand task ahead.

Grand Master Victor Maximus, along with fifty space marines from the Iron Knights began recruiting and training marines from the wild area around the forge world of Graia while the Adeptus Mechanicus prepared their fleet and gear.

It was a long and tedious task but by the time the fleet was ready, so were the marines and the Iron Warlords set forth to do battle in the name of the Emperor, the Imperium and their chapter. They soon found themselves in the thick of things.

Trial by Fire

Only recently created with just a small fleet and no homeworld, the Warlords found themselves facing The Iron Warriors along the border of Segmentum Tempestus and the Ultima Segmentum not far from where they were trained.

The Phoenix Rising Rebellion

It came to the Warlords attention that rebel bands were raiding all along the border of the Phoenix Nebula. It seemed the perfect mission for Warlords. For nearly eighteen months, the Warlords cleansed rebel forces from numerous planets in the surrounding area. The campaign finally came to a close when the Warlords completely destroyed the rebel base on Galia Secundus well inside the nebula.

A stoney dead world, Galia Secundus was riddled with mile deep catacombs housing the rebel forces. The fighting was brutal and bloody, as thousands of rebels fell before the advancing Warlords. Trapped, hundreds died as the Warlords fell back and collapsed the caverns around them.

It was a dark end to the rebellion, and those few that escaped Warlords' retribution fled and have yet to be heard from again. It seems this was one Phoenix that was not going to rise from the ashes.

The Warlords' fleet was searching for a homeworld when they happened upon a force of Chaos Marines on a small unexplored world. The battle raged on for three days and casualties were high for Warlords. If not for the arrival of forces from the Aurora Chapter, the battle may have well been lost. It was only by force of will and the power of tenacious space marines that the battle was won.

Chapter Master Maximus was severely wounded and much of his chapter fell in the battle, but the Warlords had proven themselves in battle. Time healed the wounds and the chapter took new recruits from the most harsh of worlds as it traveled, allowing the Warlords to rebuild their forces and continue the grand crusade in the name of the Emperor.

In the many years that followed, the Warlords worked closely with elements of the Aurora Chapter to push the Iron Warriors from the region. The Warlords came to admire their Aurora brothers and in time began to use many of the same tactics. They found that large numbers of armored and heavy weapons units were more effective in putting down the forces of chaos.

Howeworld

A
fter much hunting, Chapter Master Maximus decided the Warlords could do more good remaining mobile. For this reason the chapter remains fleet based, its ships remaining together in the search for enemies. Companies will break off in Strike Cruisers to widen the search and carry the fight to the enemy. However, the fleet is always near if needed, and within hours the full force of the Warlords can be called down on any force that stands against them.

For recruits, young boys are selected from the harshest worlds they visit and severely tested for inclusion into the Chapter. Those worthy survive the transformation into Brother-Marines, the flotsam that remain are jettisoned into space as the fleet travels without a care or second thought.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c162/ecritter/Space%20Marines/IronDragoonTactical.png

Young girls are also taken from these worlds, being the most acceptable of the lesser beings. They are raised and taught to be serfs of the Warlords. These women are the only non-marines allowed within the fleet for any extended period of time.

Combat Doctrine

C
hapter Master Maximus, an ex-Predator commander, had always believed in the power of armored assaults and the Warlords' long campaign with the Aurora Chapter proved him right. Over many years, the Warlords reorganized, rearmed and trained with their brothers from the Aurora Chapter as a model for them.

Finally the Warlords were a force that even the Emperor himself would be proud of. They bombard enemy strong points from orbit, then land the chapter's heavy armor, along with large amounts of marines to overwhelm any enemy that may remain. They then proceed to pound them into oblivion, taking no prisoners and leaving no survivors.

Organization

T
he Companies of the Warlords are designed around armor and heavy weapons units, with twice the number or Devastator squads as most other chapters. They use an advanced heavy cavalry approach to combat. The Iron Lancers and Iron Grenadiers are the chapter's spearhead companies. Devastator squads fill the next spot of combat importance, bringing down heavy weapons fire upon the enemies heads. Both are supported by large amounts of Tactical and Scout marines.

Iron Warlords Chapter Organization
1st Iron Lancers 30 Predators, 12 Whirlwinds, 8 Vindicators, 4 Veteran Devastator Squads; supported by Razorbacks
2nd Iron Grenadiers 5 Terminator Squads, 6 Dreadnoughts, 5 Sternguard Veteran Squads; supported by 10 Land Raiders and Razorbacks
3rd-5th Battle Companies Each has 4 Tactical Squads, 4 Devastator Squads, 2 Assault Squads; supported by Rhinos and Razorbacks
6th-9th Reserve Companies 6th and 7th each has 10 Tactical Squads; 8th has 10 Devastator Squads; 9th has 10 Assault Squads; supported by Rhinos and Razorbacks
10th Scout Company Scouts; supported by Land Speeder Storms

Squad Types are denoted by the color of the trim on their shoulder pads.

Gold = Chapter Master and Honour Guard
Silver = Captains and Command Squads
Blue = Tactical Squads
Red = Devastator Squads
Bone White = Assault Squads

Captain Damian Venture

”Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching.”

From within his personal Predator, the Beast, Captain Venture leads the Iron Lancers. He is not one to just give orders, instead he leads by example and can always be found at the head of the armored column.

”I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight. I was born to fight and if there's any justice in the universe, I'll die fighting.”

Under his command the Lancers are undefeated, and his tanks are the last sight many foes of the Imperium ever sees. Only time will show the true limits of this armored force.

Beliefs

T
he Iron Warlords are fiercely loyal to the Emperor and believe that his creation, the space marines, are the pinnacle of mankind's evolution. Their only loyalties are to the Emperor, the Imperium and the Chapter.

Though they have fought and will continue to fight Chaos Marines, they respect them as immortal space marines of tremendous power. At the same time, they see them as weak for allowing themselves to fall under the influence of beings falsely calling themselves gods. For this reason more then any other, the Warlords will do all that they can to free them from this influence by slaying them.

“If you're not a Space Marine, you're nothing.” is a quote often heard from within the ranks of the Warlords. The human stock from which they draw new recruits are little better then the aliens and aberrations the Warlords fights. Only those that survive the transformation into marines are worthy of respect.

Women hold a unique, if not odd, position in the Warlords' beliefs. They are not space marines, they are therefore inferior beings. But at the same time, they are the Lifegivers, and without them there could be no space marines. For this reason alone, the Iron Warlords accept them as .... necessary.

Being a younger Chapter, the Warlords have no real relics of their own but they hold Rogal Dorn in the highest regard. One of the first things the Warlords' fleet did after inception was to visit the chapel containing his encased body, and the two shrines housing his skeletal fists.

Rites of Passage: To become a Warlord a young boy must endure many harsh rituals. These are collective known as the Rites of Passage. These rites work to break all ties to the young marine's old life. Surviving them makes the marine a cold, unfeeling warrior with no regard for the pain they, or lesser beings, feel. Only then can they stand, unswerving, before any abomination the warp can vomit forth.

Ritual of Ice: This long, ongoing ritual begins soon after the boys are taken. The young boys are forced to watch, over and over, as animals fight to the death. The sight of blood, gore and death becomes a normal part of the recruits life.

Ritual of Death: The young boys are paired up and forced to fight to the death. Only the strong survive. A full one half of the recruits die in this way, but it ensures that only the fittest, most cunning warriors become Warlords.

Ritual of Fire: This is the final ritual before being given the gene-seed and becoming Warlords. Only by enduring great pain can the worthy rise to be accepted. The young boys are placed at one end of a long line of Warlords, and must run the gauntlet. Elder Warlords will whip the boy as he passes.

Gene-seed

T
he gene-seed of Rogal Dorn, by way of the Iron Knights, was used to create the Iron Warlords. The gene-seed remains flawed and is missing the Betcher's Gland and Sus-an Membrane. The flaws themselves are of little concern to the Warlords, as they have little to no effect on their combat prowess. They see the flaw as more proof of the weakness of the flesh, something that can only be overcome with copious amounts of armor and heavy weapons. Being spawned from such a fine gene-seed puts the Warlords in good company and gives them the lofty goal to rise to be the best of his progeny.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c162/ecritter/Space%20Marines/Warhammer40KSpaceMarinePredatorMk4.jpg

The Beast

Battlecry

“Crush them ... crush them all!”

Notable Warlords

Commander Lucas Karn, Supreme Grand Master of the Iron Warlords
Captain Damian Venture, Master of the Iron Lancers
Captain Artemus Formica, Master of the Iron Grenadiers

Captain Damian Venture..........163 Points
  • Infantry

• 1 (Unique)

• Power Armor
  • Storm Bolter
  • Frag and krak grenades
  • Iron Halo

• And They Shall Know No Fear
  • Combat Tactics
  • Independent Character
  • Orbital Bombardment
  • Tank Commander

• Predator (the Beast)

Captain Damian Venture, Master of the Iron Lancers
Damian Venture 6 5 4 4 3 5 3 10 3+

Tank Commander: Venture's tank ignores any Crew Shaken or Crew Stunned results and can use his Ballistic Skill of 5.

If the tank suffers a Wrecked or Explodes! result, roll a D6. On a 1 or 2, Venture is slain. If the result is 3 or more, Venture leaps clear at the last second - when the damage has been resolved, place him within 2" of the vehicle's position. If Venture's vehicle has been destroyed he has the above profile. He may take command of any other Iron Lancer tank on subsequent turns.

The Beast..........180 Points
  • Vehicle-Tank (Unique)

• 1 Predator

• Twin-linked laser cannon
  • Sponsons with firestorm cannons
  • Extra armor
  • Smoke launchers
  • Search light

The reason for their liking of heavy weapons and armor is a bit weak, a close fought battle is an overused motive for combat doctrine changes. You're a fellow with original ideas, try to come up with one in this case as well.

Also, every chapter and their dog is arrogant nowadays. Why can't people go for very proud rather then arrogant?

Glad you like it, any comments on the Chaos Marine part?

Also, I put in the organization chart. Work on more tomorrow.

Respect for the enemy is a slippery slope, but then again, its not impossible. But I must ask, why the misogynism?

Okay, I'll admit ... I had to look that up. The Dragoons don't hate women. They feel all normal humans inferior simple as that. Women do have uses though.

I do have a question or two. How many Dreadnoughts should a young Chapter have? I added 2 to the Iron Grenediers. Also, how many Battle Barges should a young Chapter have? Is one Battle Barge with three Strike Cruisers, and assorted Destroyers and Frigates too small or too large?

Any comments on the Organization?

Okay, I'll admit ... I had to look that up. The Dragoons don't hate women. They feel all normal humans inferior simple as that. Women do have uses though.

Maybe, but why do they surround themselves only with slave women and not slave men as well?

About the organization. 2-4 dreadnoughts per company should be reasonable. A young chapter fleet should be around one battle barge and 4-5 strike cruisers. As for the Iron Grenadiers, 10 terminator squads are way to much, especially for a relatively young chapter. Only the Dark Angels and the Unforgiven deploy their veteran company only as terminators. I'd suggest you go for 2-3 terminator squads and the rest standard veterans.

Maybe, but why do they surround themselves only with slave women and not slave men as well?

About the organization. 2-4 dreadnoughts per company should be reasonable. A young chapter fleet should be around one battle barge and 4-5 strike cruisers. As for the Iron Grenadiers, 10 terminator squads are way to much, especially for a relatively young chapter. Only the Dark Angels and the Unforgiven deploy their veteran company only as terminators. I'd suggest you go for 2-3 terminator squads and the rest standard veterans.

I thought they had serfs and presumably servitors who are male? women just do domestic stuff

Ritual of Dominance: This is the final ritual before becoming receiving the geneseed and becoming a Dragoon. Each boy is given a young girl that has been taken captive. They are responsible for breaking her will and making her a productive part of the Dragoon force.

And how exactly do they go about doing this? From other examples you have given through your fluff it would seem that they likely use torture and/or possibly beat. Not something one would expect from Loyalist marines of Dorn stock.

Personally I prefer the Space Wolf way where all the servants and ship crew etc work willingly for the chapter. I think this would make for a more loyal and hard working workforce.

Because if you're not a Space Marine or a perspective Space Marine, there is no use for men.

I'm not thinking 2-3 Dreadnoughts per Company .... I'm putting them all in the Grenediers. I'm also putting all the Terminators in the in the Grenediers as well. So 5 Terminator Squads and 5-6 Dreadnoughts? I still don't think 10 five Terminator Squads are too much.

I thought they had serfs and presumably servitors who are male? women just do domestic stuff

No, other then Space Marines and perspective Space Marines, there are no other males allowed within the fleet.

Ritual of Dominance: This is the final ritual before becoming receiving the geneseed and becoming a Dragoon. Each boy is given a young girl that has been taken captive. They are responsible for breaking her will and making her a productive part of the Dragoon force.

And how exactly do they go about doing this? From other examples you have given through your fluff it would seem that they likely use torture and/or possibly beat. Not something one would expect from Loyalist marines of Dorn stock.

Personally I prefer the Space Wolf way where all the servants and ship crew etc work willingly for the chapter. I think this would make for a more loyal and hard working workforce.

Each perspective Space Marines chooses his own way of breaking the will of the young woman. From what I've read of Dorn, he believed in the value of pain.

As for another way of getting a loyal workforce, it goes against the beliefs of Chapter ... remember they are inferior, no need to be nice to them.

So 5 Terminator Squads and 5-6 Dreadnoughts? I still don't think 10 five Terminator Squads are too much.

The terminators and Dreadnoughts sound reasonable. 10 five man squads? Isn't it better to have 5 ten man squads? But 50 suits of terminator armor is way to much for a chapter that has a few scrapes with the Mechanicus, add to that that they're a bit young and even 25 suits might be slightly pushing it.

Once again, Ecs HAS to stray from codex.

:no:

Not really straying ... basing on the Angels of Death Codex :) Blood Angels and Dark Angels both field 20 Terminator Squads for their Veteran Company. I'm only going for 25 Terminators (was 50 before).

Telveryon: not sure what scrapes the Dragoons have had with the Mechanicus?

I need a sidebar ... suggestions?

Telveryon: not sure what scrapes the Dragoons have had with the Mechanicus?

Ops! I think I confused these fellows a bit with the Dire Wolves... Sorry, my bad. But still 25 suites is reasonable, many young chapters have none.

so what does that flawed geneseed end up meaning? what was it thoes two glands where supposed to do?

The one lets Space Marines spit acid and the other created the waxy coating that allows going into suspended animation .... Dorn successors have neither working.

Added a small sidebar, any ideas on anything else I need?

I have to say that I am pretty disgusted by the ritual of dominance. Considering the real-life problem of violence - and sexual violence - towards women, I feel that making this kind of thing an intentional part of your chapter's character is incredibly unpleasant and inappropriate.

It probably wouldn't be so overt (but still pretty creepy) if they had to break the will of one of the tribespeople, but by specifically mentioning that they are women it comes over as all types of wrong.

+++ Edit - Also, I don't see how this is really deemed a sign of strength or worthiness anyway. Given the worthless, pathetic people that turn up in the media as having bullied and abused their children or partners, it seems that they don't seem particularly strong and certainly not brave... just that they are gutless, morally bankrupt bullies. I think the only thing this rite would do is promote this kind of trait in your chapter, which hardly sound like good traits for an astartes chapter, let alone make them sound heroic. If you had them tame a particularly wild beast that was native to their planet that would sound like some kind of challenge, but a tired, scared girl who has already been captured and fears for their life being 'broken' by someone much stronger than them? It makes them sound as though they should be renamed the 'Wifebeater Chapter'. :) +++

I have to say that I am pretty disgusted by the ritual of dominance. Considering the real-life problem of violence - and sexual violence - towards women, I feel that making this kind of thing an intentional part of your chapter's character is incredibly unpleasant and inappropriate.

It probably wouldn't be so overt (but still pretty creepy) if they had to break the will of one of the tribespeople, but by specifically mentioning that they are women it comes over as all types of wrong.

+++ Edit - Also, I don't see how this is really deemed a sign of strength or worthiness anyway. Given the worthless, pathetic people that turn up in the media as having bullied and abused their children or partners, it seems that they don't seem particularly strong and certainly not brave... just that they are gutless, morally bankrupt bullies. I think the only thing this rite would do is promote this kind of trait in your chapter, which hardly sound like good traits for an astartes chapter, let alone make them sound heroic. If you had them tame a particularly wild beast that was native to their planet that would sound like some kind of challenge, but a tired, scared girl who has already been captured and fears for their life being 'broken' by someone much stronger than them? It makes them sound as though they should be renamed the 'Wifebeater Chapter'. ;) +++

I see your point, however the Rites (all of them) are about the Space Marine and breaking all his ties to his old life. Have you ever seen the movie "The Soldier"? This is kinda what I based the Rites on, they are about making the Space Marines cold and unfeeling, for themselves and others that the Chapter feel are below them. Once they've lost all ties to their old lives and become unfeeling warriors, they can stand before any abomination the warp can throw at them.

The Codex Space Marines, states that ships are run by Chapter Serfs ... if you look up the term, you'll find they are little more then slaves. Yet I don't think GW condones slavery in any form. After being broken, these girls become part of the Chapter fleet ... an honorable place in society as Space Marines would see it. Also, remember that the young boys that are to become Space Marines are broken as well ... not just the girls, and a full half of the boys are killed by the other boys in the rites.

If it is so objectionable, I can change it. But if I do, I'll have to petition for all Chapters to get rid of their serfs as well. You can't really say my marines are so wrong, simply because I put the word girl in the mix. We are no better or worse then any other chapter. Changing it, without a suitable replacement, will greatly reduce the feel of the Dragoons.

Frankly I'm offended at the 'wifebeater' comment. I really don't see a difference in torturing and killing young boys as okay and girls are taboo and bad, you never bothered to mention that part. I've been told over and over that space marines aren't 'nice' its even in the DIY guide.

Archived