Combi Plasma from Bolter and Plasma Pistol

UPDATE: New instructions and new photos at Post #8

I was bored so I sat down and made this tonight:

gallery_14285_3827_16673.jpg

Not too bad for a first try. What I did was, I first cut a Bolter into pieces like this:

1. Remove the muzzle

2. Remove the muzzle grip.

3. Remove the front part of the casing.

I then took a Plasma Pistol and removed the upper front part. Which part I removed should be easily visible on the photo.

I then put them all together as you see in the photo. The barrel doesn't look very straight so I may take it of and re-attach but I'm pleased with the result.

Too bad you don't have many units who can use combi-weapons in a Blood Angels army, but it was a fun experiment anyway. I'll let you know how I fare with making a Combi-Flamer ;)

I also think you should modell an ejection port on there somewhere for the bolter casings.

This is true, but I couldn't really manage it. I'll fix the barrell and try my hand at an ejection port tonight.

The flamer combi went smoother, I used the flame pistol from the old close combat sprue. I'll post photos of it this weekend.

Wish I had a better camera.

Hey there, tahrikmili.

I think that you're onto something here, and I have some similar plans of my own. If you could provide a few more pictures of the process by which you make these, I think that you and I could whip this into a submission for the Liber to provide another alternative for those who want to make their own plasma weaponry instead of buying them. The idea definitely has potential.

Things which I would suggest if you're interested in helping the community:

• Take a picture of the places where you cut on each piece, perhaps with edited-in red lines for contrast to make a guide for those who want to try it.
  • Show a cut but unassembled final piece so that people will know if they have the right bits.
  • Do a brief step-by-step of the construction process, illustrating each major change.
  • Either format the results yourself or drop me a line and I'll be perfectly happy to help get this done.

I'm in love with plasma weapons and you've started down the path I see myself taking, so I'll also throw in a few suggestions of my own. My combi-plasmas aren't even on the cutting table yet, but I would think that you might have greater success with evening out the pieces of your work if you extend the foregrip slightly so that the plasma chamber and the end of the frame meet. I think I would glue the pieces so that they're even and leave a gap at the back, which could be puttied in and smoothed to mimic the existing frame, along with puttying in or cutting to remove the remnant of the ejection port and the complete inclusion of the plasma coil. Included is a quick and dirty illustration of what I'm talking about, using your image as source:

gallery_40791_2984_13528.jpg

After that, you could carve in a new ejection port to line up with the actual muzzle. That's always been a pet peeve of mine when it comes to the way that bolters are modeled.

OK, while the forum has been read-only, I kept experimenting with this idea. I found a way to produce Combi-Flamers and Combi-Plasmas really easy.

I'll post a photo of the end results, and you can find a tutorial on these on my blog: Combi-Flamer, Combi-Plasma

It just takes a little cutting and some gluing. My cuts were not that precise so I need to fill a few gaps but the results are a lot better than the first effort. I just wish there were more BA units who could take Combi-Weapons. I'll make a Combi-Melta as well and give that to my Chaplain, I think. I'll post about how that one goes :rolleyes:

gallery_14285_3827_80946.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
OK, while the forum has been read-only, I kept experimenting with this idea. I found a way to produce Combi-Flamers and Combi-Plasmas really easy.

I'll post a photo of the end results, and you can find a tutorial on these on my blog: Combi-Flamer, Combi-Plasma

It just takes a little cutting and some gluing. My cuts were not that precise so I need to fill a few gaps but the results are a lot better than the first effort. I just wish there were more BA units who could take Combi-Weapons. I'll make a Combi-Melta as well and give that to my Chaplain, I think. I'll post about how that one goes :)

Wow, I'm lucky enough to have a old Hand Flamer in my bitz box, also an old Plasma Pistol, I have to try these.

• 3 months later...

I recently made a combi flamer that looks very clean and was incredibly easy to make.

Its similar in design to the one above. But instead of chopping the end of a flamer off use the little flamer nozzel on the obliterator weapon sprue. Its a great sprue to have just for the melta barrels but I found this equally useful. The back end of the bit actually has indents almost exactly the same as the grip on the bottom of a bolter. So done right it looks so clean that you would think it was a GW model.

gallery_9674_4823_8831.jpg

gallery_9674_4823_723356.jpg

Now the model is not finished, I am probably going to cut back part of the grip and move the flamer nozzel further back but its still the easiest way I've found to make a combi flamer. The obliterator flamer bit also comes with a piece sticking out the end designed to place into a hole, so if you drill a hole it fits perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

It just takes a little cutting and some gluing. My cuts were not that precise so I need to fill a few gaps but the results are a lot better than the first effort. I just wish there were more BA units who could take Combi-Weapons. I'll make a Combi-Melta as well and give that to my Chaplain, I think. I'll post about how that one goes :P

Sweet. Now i've got a use for all those hand flamers that come wit the death guard (I play diff. army, want bits!)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Another great thing about that combi-plasma is that a standard marine can use it without any modification since the grip is still in the same place. Great for Sternguard squads made from tactical squads.

My reason for necroing this is because it's good stuff ^_^

Archived