+Artwork+

Askren

Hey all. S'been a good long time since I last posted here, due to various issues. But I'm dropping by to share some of my doodles I've been working on between projects recently.

For now, I give you a Space Marine of the Pentient Lords Chapter. I was doin' mah internet thing, when I found a 40k Space Marine Chapter name generator. I clicked through it a few times, laughing at what I got (Exalted Hippos and Space Wasps, hell yeah!), but then I got the Pentient Lords, and I loved the name. So I came up with this guy. I imagine them being like the Soul Drinkers, an Excommunicate Chapter, but still loyal to the Emperor. They feel they have disgraced the Imperium, and seek an eternity of repentance and battle, in the hopes that one day they will be judged worthy of returning to the Emperor's light.

http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs46/i/2009/215/6/b/Sketch_dump_part_1_by_Askren.jpg

It's still very much a work in progress, obviously, but I have so little time to actually sit down and draw these days, it might as well be finished.

That's all I've got for now, a bunch more coming when I've got time to compile and scan them. I'll update the title and whatnot when I post them.

Obviously, critique, comments, criticism, hate letters, and death threats are always appreciated. Moreso the former, but I'll take what I can get.

Thanks for checking it out!

~Ask

The main niggle I have is the pads. They are overly big. Other than that its great!

No - I'd have to disagree there. The pads look huge and add to the power of the Marine. Maybe the right one (the one to the right of the Marine, not the roght of the picture) could be dropped down slightly.

The only small criticism I have is that he appears to be warp-cursed. He seems to be suffering from shrunken head syndrome. Either that or he's a Scout playing with a Marines armour :drool:

I do get that a lot, people having the small head/big shoulderpad qualm. I don't know, I've always been fond of playing with proportions, and Space Marines are always a good chance to do that. I guess it comes from spending too much time as a cartoonist, I always try and charicaturize certain features to make them stand out more.

I'll try leaving out the over-emphasis on those elements next time, and see how it turns out.

He's really menacing looking. He looks like he's going to have a wrist mounted weapon, what with the outstretched arm and the power cable leading to the top of the arm.... am I right in this assumption?

Also is that a sculpted skeleton on the greave or are those the remains of some unfortunate heretic?

Do you do commissions? LOL

Looks good so far although I do agree that the right shoulder pad sits a little too high on him. The head is smaller than normally represented in the artwork but I don't see it as an issue so much.

Nice. sort of reminds me of the grimdarkian in regards to proportions.

What is the grimdarkian?

Cheers, Messanger

Edit - is this the grimdarkian?

Penitent. Penitent. With the "i" before the "t".

My spell check actually told me that, but it didn't look right for some reason. Thanks for clearing that up.

He looks like he's going to have a wrist mounted weapon, what with the outstretched arm and the power cable leading to the top of the arm.... am I right in this assumption?

Also is that a sculpted skeleton on the greave or are those the remains of some unfortunate heretic?

Actually, he was going to be resting on a weapon, I just haven't figured out what I want it to be yet. And yep, just like the old artwork with crucified heretics, he's going to have one strapped to his leg with a big sign saying "REPENT" on it.

Do you do commissions?

Second person to ask this, so I'll answer it here: Sort of. I don't have a whole lot of free time on my hands these days, but I do what I can with what I have. If you would like something specific, just send me a PM with all the details, and I'll see what I can do.

Thinking about it, the head you have is perfect size. I do the same size heads. Its just the closest pad is too high.

Edit: Can I help you with doing a few marines? Just PM me a bit of fluff and Ill try a few.

• 2 weeks later...

So, after a week of being away on teh vacationz, I come back with a ream of sketches to scan. Because that's what I do when I'm bored.

Sadly, only a few of them are power-armored, so most will go unposted. I also did do some work on my OP picture, it's now about as inked as it was sketched when I originally posted it, which means when I have the time, I'll finish it, and it can be colored by someone who isn't me. Very rarely do I actually ink things with a pen, rather than digitally, but something this big and detailed would probably take me a good month of on-and-off work, which I don't feel like doing.

So, yeah. Enjoy, I guess.

http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs47/i/2009/229/f/f/_WIP__Penitent_Lords_concept_by_Askren.png

http://fc00.deviantart.com/fs49/i/2009/229/4/8/Dark_Angel_concept_sketch_by_Askren.png

Thanks for the kind words, all. I'm glad you enjoy my work.

I do wish I had more time to draw for fun these days, and I'm making an effort to do as much commission work as I can to boost my portfolio with a range of different styles, so if you'd like something done, feel free to send me a message with your ideas.

Very nice work Askren! Can't wait to see more from this thread, by any chance do you have a deviant art account?

I do.

EDIT: Quick preview of what I'm currently working on. Big ol' Guilliman. Excuse the quality, it's a webcam snapshot. =P

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/5631/aveostill0101.png

Archived