- Space Hulk - RULES FAQ -

paintner

This is a compilation of the Q&A thread about the new Space Hulk released by GW summer of 2009.

GW OFFICIAL SPACE HULK FAQ

That link and the answers there TAKE PRIORITY over anything written below.

-= THESE ARE UNOFFICIAL ANSWERS AND ONLY SPECULATIONS ABOUT HOW TO READ THE RULES MADE BY THIS COMMUNITY =-

I will try to keep it up to date and as clear as possible and also section it in a good and easy to find way.

This compilation will consist of both questions and answers as well as rule clarifications without questions.

Questions marked RED are things that's being debated and have got contradicted answers in the Q&A thread.

The answer given is the one that seems more likely at the moment to be correct.

Rule Clarifications

!!! STARTING BLIPS and BLIPS PER TURN:

STARTING BLIPS are blips you get to place at an entry point BEFORE the first move of the Terminators.

BLIPS PER TURN is what you get at THE START of each OF YOUR TURN.

so a mission with TWO(2) STARTING BLIPS and TWO(2) BLIPS PER TURN will in total give you FOUR(4) blips in your first turn to move.

the blips can ONLY BE MOVED IN YOUR TURN.

!!! LIMITED STACK(s) of BLIPS:

when limited to ONE(1) stack you get to use all blips just once.

if a TWO(2) stack limit you get to recycle all blips that been put in the 'scrap pile' into a new stack, blips still on the board when doing this will NOT be added to the second stack when removed (revealed/converted) from the board.

blips get recycled (only the ones in a 'scrap pile') when they run out from a stack.

blips ON THE TABLE STAY ON THE TABLE unless they are converted (revealed) into models.

!!! Blip ACTIVATION and MOVING:

blips can EITHER move/perform an action (activated) OR be REVEALED and THEN the models may be activated.

never can a blip be activated then revealed and models then activated again!

!!! ACTION POINTS and COMMAND POINTS (AC / CP)

the TERMINATORS ACs are used during the TERMINATORS turn and all none-used when it's the GENESTEALERS TURN ARE LOST. same for the Genestealers when it's the Terminators turn. COMMAND POINTS are ONLY used by the TERMINATOR and can be USED BOTH DURING HIS/HERS turn as well as during GENESTEAERLS TURN.

Q&A

!!! MOVEMENT - related

Q: Can a blip move INTO LOS?

A: NEVER ON PURPOSE during the Genestealers turn. only a Terminator may move INTO LOS with a blip (and by so doing convert it). if a Genestealer player ACCIDENTALLY MOVES A BLIP IN LOS it return to OUT OF LOS and loose all it's remaining APs.

Q: Do I have to move my Genestealer?

A: no! if you face an OVERWATCH you can stand still as he can only shoot if you perform an action.

!!! CLOSECOMBAT - related

Q: Do a Genestealer standing in front of me count as in CLOSECOMBAT?

A: no. it takes an action to get into CLOSECOMBAT. and after this is done you leave closecombat. so you can fire at him even if you have been in CLOSECOMBAT the previouse turn (and survived).

Q: What is the SPECIAL RULE for the POWERFIST?

A: there are none except that it can DESTROY doors in CLOSECOMBAT (anything can). CHAINFISTS can destroy a door without combat.

!!! WOUNDS/KILLS - related

Q: How are wounds allocated if I get more then one hit?

A: rolling double (or triple) hits (ex. 2x5s) do not damage more then one unit as it's counting as OVERKILL. only one shoot action may effect one model at a time. the EXCEPTION of this is the FLAMER (see the rules or below)

!!! ASSAULT CANNON - related

Q: When do the Assault Cannon MALFUNCTION?

A: on a roll of three(3) identical numbers the ASSAULT CANNON explodes, AFTER it been reloaded, NEVER BEFORE.

!!! OVERWATCH - related

Q: Does fixing JAMMING break OVERWATCH?

A: resolving JAMMING do NOT break OVERWATCH, only CLOSECOMBAT or another ACTION does.

Q: How do I resolve a JAMMING in OVERWATCH?

A: if you get a JAMMING on a OVERWATCH you resolve/UNJAM it efter the Geneastealers next move and can once again shoot during the next move.

example: Genestealer moves, you FIRE AND JAM, Genestealer moves again, YOU UNJAME, Genestealer move again and your OVERWATCH IS ACTIVE AND YOU MAY FIRE.

Q: Will OVERWATCH trigger if a Terminator dies in LOS.

A: yes. if a Terminator dies in CLOSECOMBAT and another Terminator is on OVERWATCH behind him he will fire in response to the CLOSECOMBAT ACTION the Genestealer made. OVERWATCH and LOS is RESOLVED AFTER an action is made. check Red Furys explanation here

Q: Does OVERWATCH get SUSTAINED FIRE both for BOLTER and ASSAULT CANNON?

A: Yes. down til four(4) for the ASSAULT CANNON and FIVE(5) for a BOLTER.

Q: Do I have to fire on a Genestealer?

A: On OVERWATCH yes, if he perform an action in LOS always, unless JAMMED, then you simply can't. you also have to fire on DOORS CLOSING if in LOS. these will then be destroyed if you hit them and will be removed from game.

Q: Can I turn on OVERWATCH while having Genestealers visible?

A: yes you can.

!!! FLAMER

Q: How much do the FLAMER effect when fired?

A: a SECTION or 'PUZZLE PIECE'. with that means the piece of cardboard you aim at and every unit standing on it (yes, INCLUDING Terminators). This means that if you aim into a room the ENTIRE ROOM will be filled. If you aim at a ONE SQUARE PIECE, only that ONE SQUARE WILL BE EFFECTED.

Q: How far do the FLAMER fire?

A: It can shoot 12 squares as max, and can be aimed on any square UP TO THAT distance and effect the WHOLE SECTION the targeted square is on. (see above).

Q: Do the FLAMER use LOS?

A: yes! it can NOT fire around or TARGET BEHIND a model. LOS still APPLIES! it does however effect all models on the SECTION it hits, even if models are not in LOS. (see two questions above about this).

Q: How does a SAVEROLL work for BLIPS when hit with FLAMER?

A: you roll ONE(1) DICE FOR TEH BLIP, if fail to save the blip is removed EVEN IF IT CONTAINS THREE(3) Genestealers.

Q: Do the FLAMES effect me if I DO NOT MOVE?

A: no. after you made your save (and survive) YOUR ARE SAFE if you DO NOT MOVE into a new square.

!!! LIBRARIAN - related

Q: Can I use (all/ an optional amount of) PSI points to add on a dice result?

A: yes. you can USE POINTS to add to your dice count AND BOOST a 2 into a 4 by using TWO(2) points.

Let me know if anything needs clarifications or if there are any errors.

/ paintner

overwatch is only RESOVLED after an action its triggered DURING the action so you dont get an overwatch shot for the close combat.

assault cannons ALWAYS hot on a 5 so it would be:

first move 6/5 second move 5/4.

anything can destroy a door in close combat.

a chainfist can destroy a door without combat.

@twistedthunder

I made changes. I used the questions in the thread as a base for the anwsers so that is why I got the Q about the powerfist.

I marked the LOS question red as and make a comment about it being in conflict as some people in the thread said the overwatch do trigger ...

guess it might need some debating still?

Well you could end up with a situation whereby the genestealer player simply opens and closes a door in LOS of an overwatch (with the stealer behind the door out of LOS) to force a jam (or the possibility of rolling a jam) with no danger to himself. Unless of course (and I may have missed this) when a door is opened within LOS of overwatch, the 'stealer becomes a viable target?

if the stealer open/closes a door out of LOS he can not be shot, but the door can be shoot when closed (and broken) ...

if the stealer stand in LOS when the door is opened the stealer becomes the target. bus as you can open a door from any of the 3 squares linked to the door he can be in cover.

so if you get a good shoot in the first try the door will be broken and can't be used anymore.

my brother did this to me earlier today when we played.

"Q: Do the FLAMER use LOS?

A: yes! it can NOT fire around or TARGET BEHIND a model. LOS still APPLIES!"

You may want to clarify that whilst you can only target a section within line of sight, any models in that section that are out of LOS will still be hit.

"Q: Do the FLAMER use LOS?

A: yes! it can NOT fire around or TARGET BEHIND a model. LOS still APPLIES!"

You may want to clarify that whilst you can only target a section within line of sight, any models in that section that are out of LOS will still be hit.

I think that that question is answered as well in another question. what do a flamer effect.

but I can add it to that as well, sure thing =)

guess it's better to say it one time to many =)

• 2 weeks later...
Well you could end up with a situation whereby the genestealer player simply opens and closes a door in LOS of an overwatch (with the stealer behind the door out of LOS) to force a jam (or the possibility of rolling a jam) with no danger to himself. Unless of course (and I may have missed this) when a door is opened within LOS of overwatch, the 'stealer becomes a viable target?

I never considered this method before. Would the overwatch marine also shoot through a now open door when the genestealer opens it? It's a good method of wasting AC ammo or trying to jam a bolter to buy yourself some time.

Seems sneaky but I hadn't considered that working in the context of the game.

I never considered this method before. Would the overwatch marine also shoot through a now open door when the genestealer opens it? It's a good method of wasting AC ammo or trying to jam a bolter to buy yourself some time.

Seems sneaky but I hadn't considered that working in the context of the game.

The reaction to a Genestealer action is taken after its resolution. Thus, when opening a door, the Stealer is in LOS and can be reacted to. When it shuts the door, and it goes out of LOS, the Terminator on Overwatch shoots the door (and it must take the shot).

• 2 weeks later...

one more question??

me and my gf regulary play space hulk i was unfortunate not to play the other in incarnations

my question is can a model be close comabted from behind (I expect so), if does the model close combated get to roll his dice (as they are essentially being jumped/assasinated) then does he have to turn?? and hoew much movement does it cost and then if he has none what happens!!!

big hole in the rules

cheers guys

one more question??

me and my gf regulary play space hulk i was unfortunate not to play the other in incarnations

my question is can a model be close comabted from behind (I expect so), if does the model close combated get to roll his dice (as they are essentially being jumped/assasinated) then does he have to turn?? and hoew much movement does it cost and then if he has none what happens!!!

big hole in the rules

cheers guys

a model getting 'stabbed in the back' get to defend himself.

BUT. the roll is not counted as hitting back, so even if he roll higher he will not kill the attacker, just defend himself and automatically turn to face him.

so genestealer attack, both roll dices, if the terminator rolls 5 and the stealer 4 the termi wins, but ONLY TURN and do not hit back. =)

face to face he had hit back and killed the stealer.

BUT. the roll is not counted as hitting back, so even if he roll higher he will not kill the attacker, just defend himself and automatically turn to face him.

so genestealer attack, both roll dices, if the terminator rolls 5 and the stealer 4 the termi wins, but ONLY TURN and do not hit back. =)

The rulebook states that when a model is assaulted with no LOS, both models still roll as normal. If the model that had no LOS to the assaulting model wins the roll, the result is that the assaulter doesn't get killed, but the defender can fully turn to face.

The rulebook states that when a model is assaulted with no LOS, both models still roll as normal. If the model that had no LOS to the assaulting model wins the roll, the result is that the assaulter doesn't get killed, but the defender can fully turn to face.

what did I say then?

what did I say then?

Just clarifying, you were right :rolleyes:.

A: a SECTION or 'PUZZLE PIECE'. with that means the piece of cardboard you aim at and every unit standing on it

Hi guys,

I'm sorry to ask a clarification on that, but I'm still not sure I understand correctly...

Surely, a puzzle piece that is 3 squares long is not the same as a puzzle piece that is 5 squares long, or is it?

Are the following sentences correct?

The area of effect of the flamer can be:

- a room. If I aim at a room, flames fill the room.

- a corridor. If I aim at a square that is 2 squares away, flames fill the corridor up to 12 squares away from me.

- a junction. If I aim at any square in a junction, flames will fill the whole junction (4 squares in total for a T-junction, 5 squares for a crossing)

- a corner. If I aim at any square in a corner, flames will fill 3 squares in total

What happens if there's a crossing somwhere between me and the furthest square (#12) of a corridor. Do flames go straight? Or do they also fill the whole crossing (i.e, both squares on either side of the middle of the crossing)?

I'm sorry if the wording is not clear. I'm not a native speaker, I have the French version Space Hulk and I still don't get the meaning of section.

Please help !

A: a SECTION or 'PUZZLE PIECE'. with that means the piece of cardboard you aim at and every unit standing on it

Hi guys,

I'm sorry to ask a clarification on that, but I'm still not sure I understand correctly...

Surely, a puzzle piece that is 3 squares long is not the same as a puzzle piece that is 5 squares long, or is it?

- a corridor. If I aim at a square that is 2 squares away, flames fill the corridor up to 12 squares away from me.

- a junction. If I aim at any square in a junction, flames will fill the whole junction (4 squares in total for a T-junction, 5 squares for a crossing)

- a corner. If I aim at any square in a corner, flames will fill 3 squares in total

What happens if there's a crossing somwhere between me and the furthest square (#12) of a corridor. Do flames go straight? Or do they also fill the whole crossing (i.e, both squares on either side of the middle of the crossing)?

I'm sorry if the wording is not clear. I'm not a native speaker, I have the French version Space Hulk and I still don't get the meaning of section.

Please help !

Hi guys,

Please help !

as mentioned. and I will add it to the FAQ. it only effect the piece you target.

so if you target a 1square piece, only that piece is effected, so then you loose some of it's potential. while aiming into a room you make the whole room burst in flames.

Ok, I understand. But I disagree with this nonsensical limitation.

I'll play my own rules then:

Range of 12 means 12 squares of flames, or less if there's a door.

Flames are 3 squares wide at junctions (same as in rooms when you think of it)

Thanks for helping me confirm that GW can have weird ideas (section = cardboard puzzle piece, stupid really...) and great ones (Space Hulk as a whole)

Archived