Fen wolves - best models for the job?

Levitas

I like the sound of fenrisian wolves, cheap and a possible nuisance/early strike unit.

But then I looked on GWs site and..holy crap! fifteen bucks each??? and less than pretty models to boot.

Is there a better option? or will GW release cool plastics in the 2nd wave (with nice cyberwolf bits). Or maybe they will release thunder wolves, then we can magatize rider and use wolf for either single or mount. Either way, it would be nice to get some sort of wolf release 2nd wave.

A friend suggested the chaos warhound set (certainly better priced than the goblin wolfriders ones. But not totally wolfy enough.

Thoughts??

I purchased most of mine from the Goblin Wolf Riders box set. For about the same price as a Space Marine Squad.

I also kept an eye out on ebay for Vampire Count Armies from Fantasy Battle which also use Wolves without riders and the majority of the time they're also painted.

There are certainly nicer models to use over the FB wolves, but I have found none that are more financially pleasing.

I have used the Worgs from the Worg rider set from Lord of the rings. They are bigger then the Dire wolves, but they have a 25mm base if I remember correctly. So if facing a template happy army, that could be a problem. The other thing is that now that wolves take 2 slots, they are on the same base as the terminators, so I can remember that easier.

When picking the model first consider that per the dex and fluff wise there there is a huge difference between a Fenris Wolf and a Thunder Wolf. My best comparising would be the difference between a house cat and an American cougar or mountain lion.

WG Vrox

I like the sound of fenrisian wolves, cheap and a possible nuisance/early strike unit.

But then I looked on GWs site and..holy crap! fifteen bucks each??? and less than pretty models to boot.

Is there a better option? or will GW release cool plastics in the 2nd wave (with nice cyberwolf bits). Or maybe they will release thunder wolves, then we can magatize rider and use wolf for either single or mount. Either way, it would be nice to get some sort of wolf release 2nd wave.

A friend suggested the chaos warhound set (certainly better priced than the goblin wolfriders ones. But not totally wolfy enough.

Thoughts??

I suggest the Goblin Wolves.... they are NOT 15 bucks each, they are 3 bucks each- ie 15 for 5. If you want alot of them thats the cheapest your ever going to find them.

If you want something prettier... and your local area isnt to anal about "GW models only" you can get the Reaper "Wardogs" from their warlords set.... the elven faction has them. Its like 8.50 for two though, so fairly pricey.

5 for 15 honestly sounded a bit steep to me, perhaps because I don't have much money.

However after browsing a few mini sites and looking around at prices I am starting to think that they are indeed the cheapest game in town. Honestly short of going though the catalog of every site that produces Minis for both gaming and simple decorative use I don't think we are going to find better than that until GW decides to put out a fenris wolf pack... though they may just tell us to buy Fantasy wolves and lump it.

If you want 'nicer looking' options you can get about four reaper minis for a few bucks more, but in the end its up to you if you think they look any better.

Moste people miss this model, so I just feel I have to inform you guys about it. A bit costy for a whole regimant, but as a leader it's pretty neat.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...otCatGameStyle=

Just need some Green stuff ofc, to remove the chaos-y bits. But after that, the battle damage and spikes and whatnot makes it look really old, feral and battleworn.

Actually... Wulfen as fenrisian wolves might not be a bad idea. Whats the Armor save on the new wolf packs though? Because I doubt its a 3+.....

6+ for normal wolves, 4+ for Cyber.

I'll probably just get chaos wolves and cut off spiky bits

• 4 weeks later...
I'm leaving the chaos wolves as they are, other than removing the mouths on tentacles, but keeping the horns etc as there are no kit, and I like them, as they look to me what I want wolves of the 41st millenium to look like, and I like the furless back parts, even if it isn't for everyone, it is for me. For another cool massive wolf you could use the watcher from Necromunda, it is quite big, but is unique, and next to the thing in the woods could make quite a cool duo of super wolves

Im told all the tentacles and horns are add ons, and my friends are trying to convince me to get some... but Im really just not sure. One of the bodies has scales, another is immaciated, and Im not 100% on the heads.

But 10 for 22 is a heck of a deal if I could make it work.

Anyone have a sprue pick for these guys?

ok, sorry its taken so long but heres some shots of the chaos hounds.

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp86/stinkenheim/DSC00801.jpg

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp86/stinkenheim/DSC00802.jpg

and a scale shot

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp86/stinkenheim/DSC00803.jpg

heres a close up of the hound. as you can see theres a hole where the ears/tentacles/horns etc go into the side of the head so you wll need to make your own ears. shouldn't be too hard. also you need to make a tail for it, i'd say use a bit of wire and lay some GS over it. should again be pretty simple. if you want i can give it a go and post up a tut if it works well and looks good.

oh there are also a few gaps on the models, they don't fit together brilliantly but its not hard to fill the gaps

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp86/stinkenheim/DSC00805.jpg

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp86/stinkenheim/DSC00804.jpg

Archived