The Torchbearers

Tyrannicide

The Torchbearers

Devour.

Origins

D
evout and uncompromising, the Torchbearers have never been the most glorious of the Astartes. Tactically adept, they have their share of victories, yet dark rumors have always dogged the Chapter and its inscrutable warriors. Shunned by others, their rituals and beliefs are unnerving to most within the Imperium. Even the most open-minded souls could not help but to draw a line between their practices and the followers of the Blood God, Khorne.

When the Ninth Founding of the Adeptus Astartes was ordered, the Torchbearers were just one of the many Chapters created. Yet theirs was a singular destiny. Drawn from the gene-seed of the Primarch Lion El'Jonson, the Chapter was mentored by the Angels of Vengeance. None can say whether the Chapter inherited its single-minded devotion to the Emperor from their Primarch or from their tutors - but the Torchbearers quickly developed an aversion to the transitory illusions of 'fame' and 'glory'. Their focus was on bringing the light of the Emperor to all who resisted.

The Chapter headed into the heart of the Ultima Segmentum, seeking new recruits to bolster their ranks whilst gaining strength, and experience, with every victory. It was at this time, patrolling systems surrounding the Maelstrom that the Torchbearers discovered the sequestered planet they would soon come to know as Eguht.

Homeworld

E
guht was, according to Imperial star-charts, a dead world. It was most certainly not. After detecting signs of life, the Chapter sent a contingent of warriors to make planet fall. They were greeted by an unforgiving, stygian landscape. Small clusters of temples were nestled within stark mountains that housed a population of wiry humans - isolated from the Imperium for several millennia. Wearing somber robes of sable-black, the shaven skulls of these individuals were scrawled with lettering and script that proclaimed their faith in the God-Emperor of Mankind.

Speaking to the leader of the population, the Torchbearers found that the people of Eguht had endured seclusion from the galaxy for over eight thousand years as part of an attempt to reach an enlightened state and to commune with the Emperor. Their society adhered to the teachings of a religious sect known as the Deathcrafters, a death-cult that carried out many sinister acts. The Deathcrafters' initiates were taught hand-to-hand combat from a young age as part of a punishing regime that considered the act of taking a life a gesture of ultimate power. Their spartan lifestyle and the difficult conditions they endured had only strengthened their belief that the Emperor would come to them.

The Torchbearers conducted stringent tests of purity to ensure that the populace of Eguht did not host any sort of deviation. With the tests seeming to vindicate the Deathcrafters, it proved only a matter of months before the Astartes had begun construction of a vast fortress-monastery within the mountains of Eguht, a planet from which they would scour the galaxy of the unclean.

Gradually, the Space Marines began to interact with the Deathcrafters. To the Torchbearers, the cult proved an enticing mystery. The Deathcrafters' methods of combat were eventually adopted by the Chapter, along with many of their arcane rituals. The Chapter and the Cult began to exist in a symbiotic relationship; The Torchbearers would lend the cult promising youths from off-world, whilst providing a mixture of imprisoned felons, heretics and other scum to be used in ritual slaughter.

The children brought to Eguht by the Torchbearers are initiated into the Deathcrafters. If they are judged by the Elders of the Cult to have shown promise, the Chaplains will examine them for their suitability to join the Chapter. Those who pass the extensive screening undertake the arduous process of becoming one of the Torchbearers, taking up weapons in the Emperor's name.

Beliefs

V
engeance is a powerful motivator, and the Torchbearers carefully nurse their shame, rage and resentment towards the Fallen of Caliban who brought shame upon the Dark Angels ten thousand years ago. Retrieving and capturing the Fallen is the Chapter's primary goal; all other considerations are paramount.

Should the Torchbearers capture one of the Fallen, they are brought back to Eguht, where they are incarcerated in the heart of the Fortress-Monastery. It is the duty of the Chapter's Interrogator-Chaplains to break the traitor's soul, forcing them to repent their sins. The Interrogators are aided in this endeavor by the expertise of the Deathcrafters.

After gruesomely dying at the hands of the Interrogator, the flesh of the Fallen is collected and consumed by members of the Torchbearers' Inner Circle. In this ceremony, a twisted parody of the Dark Angels' own Feast of Malediction, the Torchbearers ritually ask the Emperor to forgive the Fallen. They believe that by consuming the Fallen, they have absolved him of his sins and returned him to the Unforgiven.

Should a battle-brother of the Torchbearers fall in battle, the Chapter's morticians will prepare the corpse, entombing it within a great sarcophagus of adamantium. Upon returning to Eguht, the Brothers of his Company will feast upon his flesh so that he may serve the Chapter once more, lending his strength and wisdom to all. If a senior figure within the Chapter falls, the Marine taking up his position will personally eat one of the Marine's hearts as an act of brotherhood. It is seen as a particularly bad omen if the Chapter is unable to retrieve a brother's dead remains in battle.

The origins of these unusual practices can be found in the Deathcrafters of Eguht. The cult's teachers instill a fanatical hatred for all enemies of the Imperium into their initiates. This hate sustains a Marine in their darkest times, reminding them that those touched by Chaos or Xenos influence deserve nothing less than death. The Torchbearers view the Emperor as the supreme ruler of Mankind; by following Him, they are guaranteed sanctuary at His side.

The methods the Torchbearers use to receive this spiritual solitude are many and varied. Marines will often draw blood from the corpses of particularly valued opponents, storing it within phials and flasks that are left in their Fortress-Monastery's greatest chapels as offerings to the Emperor. Often sitting in the flickering glow of candlelight, Brothers within a squad will share their blood to reinforce their bond with themselves and the Emperor.

The Torchbearers share few acquaintances, a direct result of their stern nature and cannibalistic traditions. Although part of the 'Unforgiven', the Chapter is distant from the Dark Angels and their other brethren. Whilst some of the Inquistion have praised the Chapter for their unflinching devotion to the Emperor, others have attempted to investigate the Chapter, seeing a direct link between their practices and worship of the Blood-God Khorne.

The Torchbearers believe that killing an enemy is an act of devotion to the Emperor, and the manner in which a man is killed has specific significance. As the Deathcrafters instruct, every wound inflicted upon the foe prolongs their suffering, providing a fragmentary glimpse into the eternal pain the Emperor suffers. Members of the Chapter will spend countless hours honing their abilities methodically to ensure that they can pay homage to Him-on-Earth. Each stroke of the blade is part of an elaborate and deadly craft, which could almost be likened to a prayer.

Each ritualistic method of killing is given a unique title, some of which are taught only to the Chapter's highest-ranking warriors. The Chapter's veterans will often make use of exotic and arcane weapons, each of which has specific significance to the Chapter. Every Marine is expected to have perfected the art of war.

Keeping their minds as keen as their blades, a Torchbearer will spend weeks in solace before large conflicts to meditate and clear his thoughts. Adorning themselves in midnight-black battle plate, the members of the Chapter will wrap their forearms and gauntlets in purity seals, asking the Emperor for sacred illumination in the arena of war. Some Torchbearers will even remove their victim

Well, I've finally managed to get the Torchbearers in the Liber. That's not to say it wasn't a long journey. After I 'took the reigns' from Commissar Molotov, I had one heck of a time trying to translate my rough thoughts into a flowing written form. There's still much I'd like to accomplish with the Torchbearers, but I figured that I better toss this Chapter up before the end of the century. My next goal is to finish the sidebar detailing the Torchbearers involvement in the Badab War! So hopefully I can have that up in the next week or so, but you know me – don't count on it. :teehee:

With that, I’d like to thank the good Commissar Molotov for his rewriting and aid on the Torchbearers (it was extremely appreciated), and also Ferrus Manus for his ever-useful input. Without these two the Torchbearers wouldn't have been up for another decade.

Read and enjoyed it a bit. Just got two concerns.

First concern is about your homeworld. If your chapter is a 9th founding chapter, that'd mean they were created roughly M33. But then you say that the homeworld's been secluded from Imperial Space for 8,000 years. That'd mean that the homeworld was secluded since before the Great Crusade. Before the Emperor came to power and kicked the galaxy into shape.

Second concern is the belief in which your marines cannibalize both Fallen and their own Battle-Brothers. It reminds me of the Sons of Malice a little and just puts in some worry of Inquisition lookings, since if they eat their own marines and Chaos Marines(As that's what the Fallen would be seen as by others, without their past being exposed), it'd bring lots of questions.

Nice to see these guys finally up ;)

Not so sure about ever useful but here we go anyway... (also, I'll try and catch you on MSN this weekend if I get chance, school's a pain in the arse at the moment.)

the Torchbearers were just one of the many Chapters created. Yet theirs was a singular destiny.

These two sentences should be joined with a ';'.

Also, I think 'light of the Emperor' should be 'Light of the Emperor' at least that's the convention with regular BL writings.

+++++++

That's all my criticisms and to be honest I would have been surprised if I had found a lot, especially when you've been working on it for so long. But I must say that they ave much improved since the last time I read the (at the time) recent draft, and that was what late August.

But anyway, this is looking good. Now you've posted it I think we should discuss getting some other wheels turning, maybe. B)

Edited by Ferrus Manus

I like it. I might leave out the mentioning of Khorne and leave it "Chaos" in general. I don't think of Khorne as cannibals. Maybe Slaanesh, but that is just me.

I agree with the isolation of 8000 years mentioned above. Maybe 1500-2500 years. You have to think that is a VERY long time.

I would like a little more fleshed out in Combat Doctrine section. Do they favor plasma like the DA's, lack of Dreads due to eating of the dead, etc?

Read and enjoyed it a bit. Just got two concerns.

First concern is about your homeworld. If your chapter is a 9th founding chapter, that'd mean they were created roughly M33. But then you say that the homeworld's been secluded from Imperial Space for 8,000 years. That'd mean that the homeworld was secluded since before the Great Crusade. Before the Emperor came to power and kicked the galaxy into shape.

Second concern is the belief in which your marines cannibalize both Fallen and their own Battle-Brothers. It reminds me of the Sons of Malice a little and just puts in some worry of Inquisition lookings, since if they eat their own marines and Chaos Marines(As that's what the Fallen would be seen as by others, without their past being exposed), it'd bring lots of questions.

Well what it would equate to is Eguht being semi-secluded from the Imperium since a time shortly following the Great Crusade. Eight millennia ago, would have been M32. So this all roughly means that the Torchbearers would've discovered Eguht and the Deathcrafters in the last decade or so, on the current 40k timeline (M41). But you still bring up a good point, which I hadn't realized yet. In my mind the Torchbearers would've found Eguht several thousand years ago, instead I was thinking along the basis of the current 40k-verse date. I'll definitely be changing that part soon enough.

In regards to the Inquisition, if the Torchbearers show no need for an investigation, than surely the Inquisition wouldn't possess universal knowledge of their practices, right? After all, what they're doing isn't heretical, they're unswervingly loyal to the Emperor and to an extent the Imperium.

What do they look like? and what is their chapter symbol?

I haven't really given any thought to their color scheme or Chapter symbol yet, as I'm not too talented in Photoshop or any other image-manipulating programs. The only details I had developed is their use of flayed faces and dark sable armor. I would like to add more aesthetic personality in the future for sure, I'm just a little stubbed at the moment.

That's all my criticisms and to be honest I would have been surprised if I had found a lot, especially when you've been working on it for so long. But I must say that they ave much improved since the last time I read the (at the time) recent draft, and that was what late August.

But anyway, this is looking good. Now you've posted it I think we should discuss getting some other wheels turning, maybe. ;)

Thanks for catching those two mistakes, I'll make the changes soon enough.

And more discussion is certainly welcomed, I'd definitely like to develop these guys further.

I like it. I might leave out the mentioning of Khorne and leave it "Chaos" in general. I don't think of Khorne as cannibals. Maybe Slaanesh, but that is just me.

I agree with the isolation of 8000 years mentioned above. Maybe 1500-2500 years. You have to think that is a VERY long time.

I would like a little more fleshed out in Combat Doctrine section. Do they favor plasma like the DA's, lack of Dreads due to eating of the dead, etc?

Well I mentioned Khorne specifically because most of his followers are members of Death Cults, that spill blood in the name of their god. It's essentially what the Torchbearers and other extreme Imperial Death Cults do, though they dedicate their victims to the Emperor, not the Blood God.

As far as the Combat Doctrine goes, it's unfinished, as is the rest of the IA article. I was simply growing more and more impatient with each passing day that this wasn't up, so I posted it online. If there are any details you'd like particularly described, I can see about doing so, depending on if they're appropriate for the IA.

• 9 months later...

I've decided that I'd like to pursue a revision of the Torchbearers. I've been off my game for so long now, but I'm really interested in writing about the Space Marines again.

In this current form, the Torchbearers are a Dark Angels' successor Chapter. They know of the Fallen, and have dedicated their existence to hunting down the traitors, much like their gene-parents. Things I wanted to hammer home in the first draft of their article was their extremely grim and horrifying outlooks, their unique set of beliefs and motivation behind their ritualistic nature, and their interaction with the Death Cult of their homeworld. All things I plan to expand in this next draft.

I'm in the process of creating a new foundation for the Torchbearers. A fascination with the dead. Whether its the spirits of the sacrificed or the fallen of their very own Chapter. I've envisioned the Torchbearers having an affinity with spiritual realms. I feel that it could add to their sinister attitude and only improve the character of the Chapter. Concepts range from, mile-long crypts spanning the depths of their Fortress-Monastery, to Librarians leading contingents of their brethren in the communion with the souls of long-dead Torchbearers. Highlighting the rituals enacted post-battle, such as Companies silently returning to Eguht from their wars, with the remains of their dead and feasting upon them. I have many more in mind that need working out, but ideas for the Torchbearers practices are brewing and there are some new angles I want to introduce.

Here's where I'm a little stuck, and I would appreciate any opinions on where I should go now. I'm very keen on adding all these new concepts, but I think it could potentially ruin the overall feel of the article. It could make the Torchbearers too busy, and that's definitely something I don't desire. I was never dead-set on the Torchbearers being descendants of the Dark Angels. While I think their bastardized Hunt for the Fallen, and amplifications of pre-existing Dark Angel hallmarks, such as the Feast of Malediction aren't all that bad, I feel that the links to the Dark Angels and Fallen could be severed with ease and replaced by these new notions. I'm just unsure really. I guess the reason behind this post was to ask for opinions of any readers.

Should I eliminate the ties to the Dark Angels and the Fallen, or should I keep them and try adding the new ideas I have? I just don't wan't things to seem forced and too clustered. And I feel that they could develop and grow more without some of the restrictions you face when writing a Chapter of the Unforgiven.

Any opinions are welcome, and I encourage you to post, as I think the Torchbearers can only truly grow and improve from your comments and criticism. :)

Edited by Darth Potato

I think the Dark Angels gene-seed brings so much to the table already, that trying to add more on top of it, especially with the depth of what you are aiming for, would be trying to do too much. Perhaps the Blood Angels would be slightly better.

In bringing home the bodies of the slain, and feasting on them, they could use this ceremony to control the Red Thirst? Instead of turning their need for blood on outsiders, they slake their bloodlust by consuming the fallen in a large ritual. Definitely borderline Heretical, but interesting. Perhaps the onset of the Black Rage isn't filled with visions of Sanguinus, but instead with their fallen brothers and ancestors? Using a horrific and terrible visage could also serve the double purpose of keeping allies at arms length, and therefore away from the blood thirsty hallmarks of the BA and their ilk, as well as terrifying their enemies.

However, if you wanted to incorporate the ideas you have, but be more outside the box, the perhaps BA isn't the way to go, and another gene-seed appeals to you?

I liked this Chapter, and I forgot about it (and I even posted in it so long ago!).

After reading this, and you mentioned, "I feel that the links to the Dark Angels and Fallen could be severed with ease and replaced by these new notions," I started thinking what could work. I mulled over a few lineages, and then it hit me... Raven Guard. I feel like these guys would go great with the sullen attitude of Corax along with the obvious Poe undertones. I think it was the faces being ripped off to scare the enemy.

I think it would go well with the commune of the dead as well, and the miles of crypts reminds me of the Ravenspire. I think the feasting of the flesh of fallen Torchbearers can be mediated by the Librarians who then commune with said fallen Astarte.

I look forward to helping out with this if you don't mind.

I think the Dark Angels gene-seed brings so much to the table already, that trying to add more on top of it, especially with the depth of what you are aiming for, would be trying to do too much. Perhaps the Blood Angels would be slightly better.

In bringing home the bodies of the slain, and feasting on them, they could use this ceremony to control the Red Thirst? Instead of turning their need for blood on outsiders, they slake their bloodlust by consuming the fallen in a large ritual. Definitely borderline Heretical, but interesting. Perhaps the onset of the Black Rage isn't filled with visions of Sanguinus, but instead with their fallen brothers and ancestors? Using a horrific and terrible visage could also serve the double purpose of keeping allies at arms length, and therefore away from the blood thirsty hallmarks of the BA and their ilk, as well as terrifying their enemies.

However, if you wanted to incorporate the ideas you have, but be more outside the box, the perhaps BA isn't the way to go, and another gene-seed appeals to you?

Very interesting to see different imaginings of the Torchbearers. It's a pretty good idea actually, Shinzaren. It definitely gives some food for the thought, but after seeing RagingGriffon's explanation of being Raven Guard descendants, I feel it might be a better fit for the Torchbearers. Thank you for the reply though. :cuss

I liked this Chapter, and I forgot about it (and I even posted in it so long ago!).

After reading this, and you mentioned, "I feel that the links to the Dark Angels and Fallen could be severed with ease and replaced by these new notions," I started thinking what could work. I mulled over a few lineages, and then it hit me... Raven Guard. I feel like these guys would go great with the sullen attitude of Corax along with the obvious Poe undertones. I think it was the faces being ripped off to scare the enemy.

I think it would go well with the commune of the dead as well, and the miles of crypts reminds me of the Ravenspire. I think the feasting of the flesh of fallen Torchbearers can be mediated by the Librarians who then commune with said fallen Astarte.

I look forward to helping out with this if you don't mind.

Of course, your help is more than welcomed! Originally I thought White Scars might be a good candidate for their gene-seed, and for whatever reason I overlooked the Raven Guard. But this just about knocks my socks off. And now you've got some very nice imagery floating about in my head. I do think a bit of justification will be needed for explaining the use of Raven Guard lineage, with all the problems that accompany the legacy of Corax. The Torchbearers are the thesis of the antihero. They're lacking most of the traditional attributes that are commonly found in the Astartes archetype. When I visualize the Torchbearers, I see Marines that are very untrusting, insular, morose, withdrawn, morbid, terrifying, distant, etc. Naturally, the Raven Guard represent all those things absurdly well, and it's easy to make the connections.

I think the feasting of the flesh of fallen Torchbearers can be mediated by the Librarians who then commune with said fallen Astarte.

I haven't really read any Poe, so I can't really suggest anything regarding that and any Raven Guard reference. However, the above snippet of quote is of interest. Maybe this would be due to the Omaphagea perhaps being a little too enthusiastic in it's work, as well as the beliefs of the natives the Torchbearers recruit from? If a "normal" Marine can absorb some sort of memory or experience from someone they ate, I have no doubt that a Librarian would have even more success.

Just a thought or two :cuss

Very interesting to see different imaginings of the Torchbearers. It's a pretty good idea actually, Shinzaren. It definitely gives some food for the thought, but after seeing RagingGriffon's explanation of being Raven Guard descendants, I feel it might be a better fit for the Torchbearers. Thank you for the reply though.

Haha, no worries. I was just tossing it out there, I agree that Raging's fits better. Especially when you consider the side effects of RG geneseed, most notably the pale skin and black hair. Combine that with a host of other fear inducing adornments and effects, and you have truly terrifying warriors. Coupled with the obviously depressing and morose undertones of the RG, and you can make a Chapter that truly worships/embraces Death. Raging definitely had a good idea.

Perhaps the Torchbearers is more than a symbolic name? With miles and miles of crypts below their Fortress Monastery, perhaps they elect elite members of their cadre to become literal Torchbearers, escorting the processions to the deepest, darkest, depths by torchlight, and then leading them in the ceremonial feasting of the fallen?

Perhaps the Torchbearers is more than a symbolic name? With miles and miles of crypts below their Fortress Monastery, perhaps they elect elite members of their cadre to become literal Torchbearers, escorting the processions to the deepest, darkest, depths by torchlight, and then leading them in the ceremonial feasting of the fallen?

I think a Rite of Initiation like the "walking conflagations" from 'Codex: Space Wolves" (see Sven Bloodhowl's Great Company), or the Salamanders' ceremonial branding, is more appropriate.

I think the feasting of the flesh of fallen Torchbearers can be mediated by the Librarians who then commune with said fallen Astarte.

I haven't really read any Poe, so I can't really suggest anything regarding that and any Raven Guard reference. However, the above snippet of quote is of interest. Maybe this would be due to the Omaphagea perhaps being a little too enthusiastic in it's work, as well as the beliefs of the natives the Torchbearers recruit from? If a "normal" Marine can absorb some sort of memory or experience from someone they ate, I have no doubt that a Librarian would have even more success.

Just a thought or two ;)

Very close to my own thoughts, Aquilanus. While the Chaplains, Captains, Apothecaries, any ranking Brothers, etc. would be present, I see the Librarian as being the unelected leader of the feasting rituals. It might seem more appropriate for a Chaplain to lead such a spiritual gathering, yet the Librarians are the ones that can speak with the souls of their ancestors. I don't know all that much about Poe's work either, so I'll need to read through some stuff online for inspiration. Well Librarians are able to manipulate the psychic energy found in the warp, they're powerful buggers and amongst the strongest psykers in the galaxy. The Torchbearers not touched by the warp, would be able to eat their dead brethren and absorb his memories, his legacy, his genius. Its a process where the Marine is serving his Chapter even in death. Grim? Check. Dark? Check.

Very interesting to see different imaginings of the Torchbearers. It's a pretty good idea actually, Shinzaren. It definitely gives some food for the thought, but after seeing RagingGriffon's explanation of being Raven Guard descendants, I feel it might be a better fit for the Torchbearers. Thank you for the reply though.

Haha, no worries. I was just tossing it out there, I agree that Raging's fits better. Especially when you consider the side effects of RG geneseed, most notably the pale skin and black hair. Combine that with a host of other fear inducing adornments and effects, and you have truly terrifying warriors. Coupled with the obviously depressing and morose undertones of the RG, and you can make a Chapter that truly worships/embraces Death. Raging definitely had a good idea.

That's a very cool idea. One that I could certainly use. I do however, think that the origin of the Chapter name could be something a little simpler. Before the first Torchbearers ever found Eguht, when they were still a fledging Chapter, the first Chapter Master/High Lords of Terra, simply decided upon the name 'Torchbearers'. Here was my reasoning. To begin with the Torchbearers would be much more like their parent-Chapter, in the eyes of an outsider they're the typical, heroic Astartes the Imperium is accustomed to. After the discovery of their home planet, and their conducting of the Death Cult, they slowly 'degenerate' into this current assembly of morbid, cannibalistic warriors. It's irony at it's best.

I like this- the idea a Chapter is so ruthless, it seems it's "fighting fire with fire" against Khornate berserkers.

I think a Rite of Initiation like the "walking conflagations" from 'Codex: Space Wolves" (see Sven Bloodhowl's Great Company), or the Salamanders' ceremonial branding, is more appropriate.

Well I have some practices in mind that are unique to the Torchbearers. While I've always been a fan of the Salamanders' branding practices, I don't think it fits the spirit of the Chapter. They're all about inflicting pain upon their enemies, making them fear the wrath of the Imperium. Really a Torchbearer would be your worst nightmare made manifest. They pierce and lacerate your body, slice you limb from limb, and do it as agonizingly slowly as time on the battlefield will permit, until finally your soul is dedicated to the Emperor in this gruesome art of theirs.

They're all about inflicting pain upon their enemies, making them fear the wrath of the Imperium. Really a Torchbearer would be your worst nightmare made manifest. They pierce and lacerate your body, slice you limb from limb, and do it as agonizingly slowly as time on the battlefield will permit, until finally your soul is dedicated to the Emperor in this gruesome art of theirs.

*yawn* is that it? I could cope with that in my sleep :lol:

But anyway, it's nice to see you back around, Darth. We need to catch up some time.

As for the Chapter, I think the idea of communication with dead Astartes is excellent and could perhaps bring about the idea of listening to your ancestors and a big thing about their gene heritage.

That's a very cool idea. One that I could certainly use. I do however, think that the origin of the Chapter name could be something a little simpler. Before the first Torchbearers ever found Eguht, when they were still a fledging Chapter, the first Chapter Master/High Lords of Terra, simply decided upon the name 'Torchbearers'. Here was my reasoning. To begin with the Torchbearers would be much more like their parent-Chapter, in the eyes of an outsider they're the typical, heroic Astartes the Imperium is accustomed to. After the discovery of their home planet, and their conducting of the Death Cult, they slowly 'degenerate' into this current assembly of morbid, cannibalistic warriors. It's irony at it's best.

The highlighted bit. Perhaps it could invoke images of Members leading a precession as said above. But, it could also indicate a desire to "bring light to dark places", as in bring Imperial Truth to unbelievers, heretics and Xenos in general. A literal and figural double meaning. It would make sense to me especially with regards to what I perceive the mindset of the Torchbearers mentality to be like. :)

Things I wanted to hammer home in the first draft of their article was their extremely grim and horrifying outlooks, their unique set of beliefs and motivation behind their ritualistic nature, and their interaction with the Death Cult of their homeworld. All things I plan to expand in this next draft.

To be honest, everything I've skimmed over so far (apologies, I tend not to read things terribly closely, at least at first) this jumped out at me and grabbed me by my 'interesting' sense.

The Torchbearers not touched by the warp, would be able to eat their dead brethren and absorb his memories, his legacy, his genius. Its a process where the Marine is serving his Chapter even in death. Grim? Check. Dark? Check.

Love it. Just so macabre and so fitting.

As you've been saying on the geneseed issue, I do agree that with these core values the geneseed used becomes less of an issue, though they do lean more in some directions than others.

Now I do like the Raven Guard for these blokes, but the fact is with all the Poe influence being bandied about in the comments I feel it may be a little ham-handed. The other thing I would say is - and this isn't easy for me to say - that I actually think the Dark Angels make a good fit here.

My difficulty with the Dark Angels is that I sincerely dislike them and their whole 'big dark secret' malarky. However, before I get lost on a tangent I'll say that the 'dark secret' works here simply because it takes a backseat to their true nature and core values that seem to drive the chapter more than the fallen do, which is refreshing. It's almost as if they were fated to be DA successors so as to give them a real, hated enemy that they can take out all of their sociopathic rage out upon and be equally happy to keep it to themselves.

I don't suppose I've added all that much to the discussion here and rather than make some rather amusing yet flippant remark to finish all this of I'll say that this is probably one of, if not the first DA successor I've actually been fond of, and that's saying something.

Maybe the Torchbearers could refer to how they deludedly believe they are bringing the Emperors light to people through torture and agony?

Sorry, thought I should at least say something on-topic.

MIght I suggest "Masque of the Red Death," "Fall of the House of Usher," and "The Conqueror Worm"

I went to a site with some of Poe's work on it. I must say, that was one dark dude. Very uplifting for my work on the Torchbearers though, haha.

They're all about inflicting pain upon their enemies, making them fear the wrath of the Imperium. Really a Torchbearer would be your worst nightmare made manifest. They pierce and lacerate your body, slice you limb from limb, and do it as agonizingly slowly as time on the battlefield will permit, until finally your soul is dedicated to the Emperor in this gruesome art of theirs.

*yawn* is that it? I could cope with that in my sleep :tu:

But anyway, it's nice to see you back around, Darth. We need to catch up some time.

As for the Chapter, I think the idea of communication with dead Astartes is excellent and could perhaps bring about the idea of listening to your ancestors and a big thing about their gene heritage.

Nice to hear from ya, Ferrus. :jaw:

Yes, in this new light the Torchbearers are going to be perceived as more superstitious. A situation could see a Marine insulting a fallen spirit, something that would be seen as sacrilegious, no less a slight against his honor. Things of that nature. I'm already trying to establish the fact that they're spiritual and ritualistic. Now I'm looking at ways to bring about this new sorta credulous, illusory side.

The highlighted bit. Perhaps it could invoke images of Members leading a precession as said above. But, it could also indicate a desire to "bring light to dark places", as in bring Imperial Truth to unbelievers, heretics and Xenos in general. A literal and figural double meaning. It would make sense to me especially with regards to what I perceive the mindset of the Torchbearers mentality to be like. :drool:

I do like your ideas, however I did have another figurative interpretation. The word 'torchbearer' means 'a person who carries a ceremonial torch'. Now symbolically it also means 'a person who leads or inspires others in working toward a valued goal'. My original thinking regarding the Chapter name was that whoever named the Torchbearers had the metaphorical idea that they were a group of Astartes, leading the pack, fighting for the Imperium with fiery justice. To begin with the Torchbearers are paragons of the universe. Pure, idealists, who over time, degrade into something sinister and brooding. Which in my eyes really invokes that sense of irony, something I'm keen of.

To be honest, everything I've skimmed over so far (apologies, I tend not to read things terribly closely, at least at first) this jumped out at me and grabbed me by my 'interesting' sense.

Love it. Just so macabre and so fitting.

As you've been saying on the geneseed issue, I do agree that with these core values the geneseed used becomes less of an issue, though they do lean more in some directions than others.

Now I do like the Raven Guard for these blokes, but the fact is with all the Poe influence being bandied about in the comments I feel it may be a little ham-handed. The other thing I would say is - and this isn't easy for me to say - that I actually think the Dark Angels make a good fit here.

My difficulty with the Dark Angels is that I sincerely dislike them and their whole 'big dark secret' malarky. However, before I get lost on a tangent I'll say that the 'dark secret' works here simply because it takes a backseat to their true nature and core values that seem to drive the chapter more than the fallen do, which is refreshing. It's almost as if they were fated to be DA successors so as to give them a real, hated enemy that they can take out all of their sociopathic rage out upon and be equally happy to keep it to themselves.

I don't suppose I've added all that much to the discussion here and rather than make some rather amusing yet flippant remark to finish all this of I'll say that this is probably one of, if not the first DA successor I've actually been fond of, and that's saying something.

Maybe the Torchbearers could refer to how they deludedly believe they are bringing the Emperors light to people through torture and agony?

Sorry, thought I should at least say something on-topic.

Damn GHY, you're making this harder than it needs to be! With your good points and all. Ack!

To be honest, the gene-seed shouldn't really be to much of a fuss. The only reason why I want to make a decision is because it solidifies ideas of their origins. Where they came from, who they're descendants of, what they're first teachings consisted of, etc. I believe that if the core and themes of a Chapter are well presented, then things such as the gene-seed shouldn't matter. But with the Torchbearers it gives me an idea of all the little morsels that come along with the selected gene-line. The two that seem to fit best with the established stuff seem to be the Dark Angels and the Sons of Corax. And there's so many things I like about both, I just feared that the Dark Angels might be bringing too much to the table with the new ideas I want to implement.

I figure the Torchbearers maintain a hunt fairly similar to other members of the Unforgiven. If I'm one of the Fallen of Caliban, I'm on the run. Really don't feel like getting captured anytime soon. And while I don't want to be imprisoned by the Dark Angels, or the Angels of Absolution, or whoever, I REALLY don't want to be caught by the Torchbearers.

I'm intrigued by that last line. Through a retribution filled with anguish and suffering, they believe they are being brought closer to the Emperor. It's definitely something to think about over the next few weeks. Thanks for the reply, and I look forward to whatever else you're willing to offer.

After gruesomely dying at the hands of the Interrogator, the flesh of the Fallen is collected and consumed by members of the Torchbearers' Inner Circle. In this ceremony, a twisted parody of the Dark Angels' own Feast of Malediction, the Torchbearers ritually ask the Emperor to forgive the Fallen. They believe that by consuming the Fallen, they have absolved him of his sins and returned him to the Unforgiven.

What happens if the Fallen they catch is touched by Chaos?

What happens if the Fallen they catch is touched by Chaos?

They probably wont eat it. But that would be my guess. Maybe they cremate the body and inhale the ashes. Ash can't be chaotic.