Custom Sternguard Marines

Been working on this guy for about an hour today after buying a tactical squad box set and wondered what conversions I could make. In the end I made this marine below for my sternguard in the future.

I made the combi flamer using the tutorial in the Librarium here. I simply edited it slightly using the shoulder rest from the plasma gun. The helmet was made from cutting down a beaky helmet to a different shape. I like how it came out and hope it'll look good once I've painted him up.

So without further ado, Veteran Tritus of the Sternguard:

gallery_26154_4148_2262952.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_786317.jpg

He'll be primed soon hopefully and then painted. Any further ideas on how to improve him to look more Sternguardy?

Thanks,

Cambrius

Thanks guys.

With regard to the mould lines they have actually been shaven down but still look like they're there. He'll be based shortly and maybe sprayed in the near future once I know where I can safely spraypaint on campus.

Do you feel there's anything else I should do to help convey the Sterngaurd look to him so he'd blend in nicely with the GW ones?

Also here's some more picts of him, I apologise for the poor quality:

gallery_26154_4148_447840.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_901105.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_2388657.jpg

Cambrius

it looks great but the only thing i would say you should have done was given him an ornate bolter. it would make him seems like he is more elite. Great jon on the head.

Thanks for the compliment on the helm. I was worried I'd messed that part up spectacularly. :sweat: I'll be converting more tactical marines soon to become Sternguard so watch this space for custom ornate bolters. Just need to work out how to make one look "ornate". Suggestions anyone?

Cambrius

Okay time for some new guys for you all to see!

These have all been converted mostly using the tactical squad box set but with a few other bits taken here and there. Comments on all appreciated.

So firstly we have my Plasma Gun wielding marine. His body and weaponry are all from the tactical box set bar his head and right shoulderpad, which come from the Commander's box set. Also you can tell that this was the plasma gun I used to add the shoulder rest on my combi flamer marine. :wallbash::

gallery_26154_4148_1026820.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_3362759.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_1897859.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_3135277.jpg

Next is your average bolter wiedlding marine. Now I haven't made any add ones yet to make him feel Sternguardy. I was hopeing you guys could help with that on what to get. He's going to have a scope on the bolter and the odd more purity seal here and there but I feel It will need more. Any ideas?

gallery_26154_4148_3623754.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_1025524.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_3386745.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_3386745.jpg

Next is the Sergeant of the unit with his power sword and banner.

gallery_26154_4148_1026056.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_1585963.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_1026273.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_1026340.jpg

Finally a shot of all the sternguard bar the sergeant together!:

gallery_26154_4148_1025891.jpg

All comments crtitique appreciated.

Cambrius

looks good, but one thing is add more decoration, and accessories

Something I'm curently working on. Sadly my GS skills are poor at best so no help there, but I'm trying to find bitz to be suitable for the conversions.

Thanks for looking,

Cambrius

I'm doing something pretty similar, making Sternguard out of plastics etc. I'm using some Chaos bitz mixed in with Imperial to get an 'ornate' feel to their armour, as well as Iron Skulls displayed on different sections of their armour and a lot of Crux Terminatus-es on shoulders that normally don't hold insignia in my army as well as dangling insignia.

With weapons, the loadout is:

Sgt: Stormbolter + Power Weapon, Melta Bombs

Special 1: Heavy Flamer

Special 2: Plasma Cannon

Brother 1: Combi-Melta

Brother 2: Combi-Melta

Brother 3: Combi-Flamer

Brother 4: (considering a Combi-Plasma but atm a Bolter - the one from the AoBR captain)

Brother 5: Bolter (Marksman pattern - lots of targeting/optics kinda stuff + extended barrel)

Brother 6: Bolter (Supression pattern - Drum-magazine, beefy-looking gun, thinking of a SAW as well)

Brother 7: Bolter (Godwyn pattern - Chaos bolter, one of the ones with ammo hanging freely from a belt)

Some brothers have vanquished enemies on the bases as well - Chaos for my chapter, but if they were Crimson Fists it's be Orks

I think there's a thread somewhere about alternate bolter conversions here in the WIP section of the forum, have a look in there and you might find some nice alternate bolters for your sternguard

just my £0.02

Arenis

I'm doing something pretty similar, making Sternguard out of plastics etc. I'm using some Chaos bitz mixed in with Imperial to get an 'ornate' feel to their armour, as well as Iron Skulls displayed on different sections of their armour and a lot of Crux Terminatus-es on shoulders that normally don't hold insignia in my army as well as dangling insignia.

Some brothers have vanquished enemies on the bases as well - Chaos for my chapter, but if they were Crimson Fists it's be Orks

I think there's a thread somewhere about alternate bolter conversions here in the WIP section of the forum, have a look in there and you might find some nice alternate bolters for your sternguard

just my £0.02

Arenis

Hey Arenis, thanks for the commments and suggesitons. Good to see I'm not the only one who's been mad enough to attempt this endeavour. ;)

What can I use for skulls though to add onto the armour? I can'tr sculpt them and there admittedly are Iron Skulls on the backpacks of some but I need something more. :angry: I need to get some Chaos bitz maybe but I'll do that if necessary and I've got some more income. :lol: One thing I may do though is cut small bits of paper clip to simulate the studs on the legs to mimic Heresy pattern armour. I've used a Crux Terminatus on the shoulderpad of the plasma gun wiedling marine and I'll probably paint one on the banner of the sergeant.

Could you provide me linky of that thread please if oyu know where it is?

Cambrius

just my £0.02

Arenis

Hey Arenis, thanks for the commments and suggesitons. Good to see I'm not the only one who's been mad enough to attempt this endeavour. :P

What can I use for skulls though to add onto the armour? I can'tr sculpt them and there admittedly are Iron Skulls on the backpacks of some but I need something more. B) I need to get some Chaos bitz maybe but I'll do that if necessary and I've got some more income. :D One thing I may do though is cut small bits of paper clip to simulate the studs on the legs to mimic Heresy pattern armour. I've used a Crux Terminatus on the shoulderpad of the plasma gun wiedling marine and I'll probably paint one on the banner of the sergeant.

Could you provide me linky of that thread please if oyu know where it is?

Cambrius

hey there, it's not so insane, I just fancy getting some FW Red Scorpions upgrade stuff for some nice stuff ^_^

haha, skulls? I just used a Chaos chestpiece - the one with the skull on it - and shoulderpad - again, the one with the skull on it.

Noooo! 'heresy' pattern legs! That's something I need to do to some mk.6 legs some time, thanks for the reminder ^_^

for the banner, do you have any terminator banners knocking around? They have a pre-cast crux on it for you to use, that may help with the painting, if you aren't as confident or good at it like me :P

I haven't made a thread for my sternguard, most of my models are currently a pile of bitz... but as you've got me on the idea, I think I will do now...

Good luck!

Arenis

You and Arenis aren't the only ones, me too! You've done will with using the tac box to make them suitably veteran-ish. All the little bits and bobs you've added help a lot too, and the individual positioning is great.

For your bolter conversions, I would recommend cutting up a spare, in parts like the muzzle, handle, grip, ammo clip etc, or one you've painted before and don't plan on using, then just moving it around until you find it the way you like it, then get one that you'll really use in your squad, and do the same thing.

hey there, it's not so insane, I just fancy getting some FW Red Scorpions upgrade stuff for some nice stuff ^_^

haha, skulls? I just used a Chaos chestpiece - the one with the skull on it - and shoulderpad - again, the one with the skull on it.

Noooo! 'heresy' pattern legs! That's something I need to do to some mk.6 legs some time, thanks for the reminder ^_^

for the banner, do you have any terminator banners knocking around? They have a pre-cast crux on it for you to use, that may help with the painting, if you aren't as confident or good at it like me :P

I haven't made a thread for my sternguard, most of my models are currently a pile of bitz... but as you've got me on the idea, I think I will do now...

Good luck!

Arenis

Ahh Forgeworld...one day I may go down to such depths...:D

Hmm, methinks some Chaos boys are in order to make some conversions... You already have mk 6 legs in the tactical box. They're the ones without kneepads. Heresy is the Mk.V variant. It's in the Librarium if you want to get an idea. I do have some termie ones around, but they're for another project of mine. :D

Do it, the Emperor commands you! :P

You and Arenis aren't the only ones, me too! You've done will with using the tac box to make them suitably veteran-ish. All the little bits and bobs you've added help a lot too, and the individual positioning is great.

For your bolter conversions, I would recommend cutting up a spare, in parts like the muzzle, handle, grip, ammo clip etc, or one you've painted before and don't plan on using, then just moving it around until you find it the way you like it, then get one that you'll really use in your squad, and do the same thing.

You too Shrots? :o Thank you very much for the compliments. Hmm, I'll give it a shot. i'm thinking of making stalker pattern bolters soon, just need to buy some plasticartd and rods.

More coming soon guys. Keep watch. ;)

Cambrius

Great idea. My guys use golden bolters anyways so a little extra is required there.

Okay major news just in for my Sternguard, their new troops have arrived in the form of RTB101 marines I got for £5.50 off of Ebay! :tu: Pictures of them soon.

Cambrius

I just discovered your thread and wanted to warn you about something on the first guy you made : the "fabric piece" (sorry, can"t find the correct word in English) you put on it's right shoulder pad doesn't fall a natural way due to arm position. It doesn't seems to be subjected to gravity which looks very weird to me.

By the way, congrats for all these nice conversions.

UPDATE!

I've been rather busy on Ebay lately and bought a large batch of unique marine bitz and so using them I've improved one of the plain olds to make him look more unique and "Sternguardy" (yes I do enjoy using that word. :P).

So here he be, I apologise for my cack handed photography. :D:

gallery_26154_4148_1610419.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_2978103.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_3577062.jpg

gallery_26154_4148_3591955.jpg

And finally this is the next marine to become promoted to the sternguard. The blade was taken from the Scouts sprue.

gallery_26154_4148_610423.jpg

Comments appreicated.

Cambrius

They look good brother. I agree with all the above comments about purity seals and parchments adding to them. Also ofc adding white as a veterancy status on there helmets will help too. In painting wise, accuracy litanies, blessings and awards/medals (cant think of name sorry) to represent them being a hell of a shot. As i have always seen sternguard being the calm composed (more so than marines) and excellent marksmen.

My idea would be to add some more of those studs on the shoulders, the normal sternguard appear to use them and they would represent an older marine by the mark of his armour. Also older marks of armour could be incorporated aswell. Also dont forget some battle scars, they can show veterancy too ^^

As for guns, ive always seen sternguard with larger magazines or maybe one with two compartments they could switch through like they can in there rules, To add some realism ofc. But yeah, lots of ammo and larger mags, scopes and maybe even a silencer on one to be used with the round that fires 30' (name escapes me sorry)

sorry for rambling <_<

those are my two cents worth :)

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll be doing the following on the marines to make them look better in the near future:

. Purity Seals overload!

. Banners? Maybec just the empty poles too.

. Holsters and swords.

. Mk. VI Shoulder pads

. Laurels

. Replace old bolters with new

. Mk. VI Helms

When Painted:

. Bronze and white helms to denote veteran status (chapter colours are blue and bronze)

. Liturgies

. Gold bolters

. Honour/kill markings

. Laurels

Thanks for all of the input guys.

Cambrius

Archived