Untitled

Captain Juan Juarez

For Xander this is the culmination of centuries of work, hundreds of years spent hunting Erik the Red through the myriad perils of the Warp and upon the world of Thorin, its great city spires long crumbled into dust, did Xander and his warband come upon their foe.

"Your betrayal has cost me everything I hold dear!" Xander roars in anger, hands dropping to the hilts of the powerswords that hang at his hips, one the blade he carried as 5th Company Captain and the other the blade of the slain Veteran Sergeant Siegmund.

A low chuckling escapes from the vox speakers of Erik the Red, the sound piercing and and mocking as it reachs the ears of Xander. "I cost you nothing, brother. You were weak, brought low by service to that inept fool entombed within the Golden Lie," with a snarl Erik gestures with the double-bladed axe that he holds with a right hand, and his entire arm, that drips blood relentlessly though there is no wound. "You and your pitful lackies have brought this upon yourselves, see the mighty Imperium crush you like insects!"

Slowly Xander draws his swords free, flicking them to life with a buzz of energy. "I made you my brother, Erik and you made me your enemy," Xander sighs softly, instantly staightening his back as a coldness settles into his eyes. "I will expunge this betrayal in you blood, in the sweet song of battle I will know joy."

Erik cocks his helmeted head to one side, voice echoing into the ears of Xander. "Do you believe my death will remove the taint you have cast upon yourself? Will Chaplain Ekrizeus allow you to rejoin the Chapter? Do not fool yourself!"

Aeneas does not see the grin of mischief upon the face of Erik, beneath the helmet, but he is startled by his words. "Join us Xander, find glory in fighting any foe you wish!"

Sergeant Elias storms to the fore, his helmet-less head scarred and sun darkened by centuries of service. His face forms into a grimace as he contemplates the words of his sworn enemy. "Do not do this Captain! We have given you years and blood to hunt this traitor dowm, do not cast our gift into doubt by becoming that which you hate."

Xander glances over the shoulder of his Sergeant, focusing on the faces and helmets of his last remaining allies, the veteran Shieldbears; First Squad of the 5th Company and his only allies in betrayal.

He meets the steel-grey eyes of Brother Pallin, returning the nod he is given as his eyes drift to Brother Valerian, who shrugs so deftly beneath the weight of his power armour. Brothers Leander and Hector glance at each other before the turn and offer the hilts of their chainswords to their Captain.

"Make your choice, brother." The voice of Erik becomes deadly serious, the socrn and mocking evaporating as if beneath the sun of this dead planet.

"I am so sorry," Xander says softly, spinning abruptly and raking his blades across the helmet-less head of his Sergeant. Following the lead of their Captain, the Shieldbearers turn their own weapons upon their Sergeant and seal a pact with eachoter.

Eik roars with laughter as he watches the scene, making a pledge to his Gods that such a thing will not go unrecorded.

"Now is the time for glory!"

• 3 months later...

Archived