Quick and simple Imperial Fists

xenofexx

Greetings, board dwellers!

So I finally decided to sign up, after months of reading through threads and seeing a lot of great minis.

As my first post here, I'd like to show you a nice and easy way to paint Imperial Fists marines. This paint job isn't gonna bring home any Golden Demons, but it's definately tabletop standard and very quick in comparison to many other ways of painting yellow armour. Just give your marine the following treatment:

1. Chaos Black spray undercoat.

2. Cover the armour with a layer of Dheneb Stone (Leave the recesses black, though)

3. Give the armour a layer of Golden Yellow.

4. Wash the recess-areas with Badab Black. (Apply lavishly for that dirty, mid-battle look).

5. If you overdid the black wash here and there, touch it up with some Golden Yellow. Then neatly apply some Sunburst Yellow along the edges of the armour.

All done! Not the brightest yellow in the imperium, but they're not polishing their armour in the middle of a battle, are they? B)

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/3482/imperialfistsmarine.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Well, painting yellow on top of Dheneb Stone turned out to be a real pleasure – One layer will get you very far indeed! I suppose it depends on how thick you layer your paint.. But anyway, as I wrote earlier, the marine on the picture only had one layer of Golden yellow on top of the dheneb, before the recesses were washed with badab black ;)

Nice simple recipe there. Has given me the ideal start for some Lamenters - although there will be one or two minor modifications. I'll be using Gryphonne Sepia instead of Badab Black.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Xenofexx this is a really nice way of painting yellow.

I must say my yellow has come out darker than yours in the pictures but I like the look of it. I use a small drybrush to cover the stone with golden yellow then wash with sepia. Overall extremely happy. My thanks to you for to you for this inspiration.

Hurrey

Fantastic! an easy way to paint yellow (see my sig!). I can get that IF army after all. Thank you so much mate!!!

Quick question; can i paint on the chaos black undercoat? does that work out ok or does it have to be a spray undercoat?

Edited by chaplain belisarius

A pleasure to be of service!

The marine may look a bit brighter on the picture than he does in real life, since he had a spotlight on him when the picture was taken (and I'm really not a pro with the camera :D) I'm guessing that it should work out fine painting on top of "normal" black paint instead of a spray undercoat, just make sure the layer of Dheneb stone covers the black completely..!

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...