Space Hulk: Lamenters Mod Update 9/8 Checkerboard Heraldry

Hello all.

Being that I can't ever do anything the easy way, I decided that in addition to everything else on my painting table I would convert my whole Space Hulk set to Lamenters vs. Hive Fleet Kraken. This is just a kind of teaser/placeholder/preview as I have way too many WIP photos to put up and not much time right now.

gallery_22692_1786_11120.jpg

There is a metric butt ton of fiddly filing and greenstuff work turning these miniatures into...well...anything else.

gallery_22692_1786_24905.jpg

This basecoat took 8 glazes. I used Vallejo Flourescent Yellow. I wanted them to be VERY yellow. Here's how Yellow they are:

gallery_22692_1786_22204.jpg

Here is one of the as-yet-unnamed Marines Flourescing Yellow under a blacklight. Yes, I am stark raving mad.

LOTS more pics to come, including quite a bit of WIP on the greenstuffed Lamenters symbols.

• 9 months later...

SOOoooooooooo.......

I'm not dead!

After taking my usual ridiculous amount of time off (Some commision work for foul xenos, some Dark Elves for that other game, some Menoth), I have returned to show some nearly finished WIP photos for C&C. It saddens me greatly that I started these guys in frickin NOVEMBER and they aren't done yet.

Here are some terrible pics.

gallery_22692_1786_27764.jpg

gallery_22692_1786_27431.jpg

gallery_22692_1786_4335.jpg

Nearly every Blood Angels thingy was filed off these guys, which was one of the most terrifying moments of my life. In addition, this basecoat will stain if you glance at it wrong, so I am correcting errors with an exacto blade. If you ever want to paint anything this color, DON'T.

gallery_22692_1786_14175.jpg

gallery_22692_1786_21028.jpg

Still remaining: Brown line the base yellow armor so it looks slightly less monochromatic, correct the freehand checkerboard motif, and do some final little fiddly bits.

Please C&C, and I will take it on advisement when I am finishing them. Thanks, and it's good to be back home at B&C!!

Nearly (I think) finished with the freehand checkerboards. I wanted to give each individual model their own unique "heraldry". Here are some better pics.

gallery_22692_1786_369593.jpg

gallery_22692_1786_281894.jpg

gallery_22692_1786_332615.jpg

The phots definitely show two things: how dirty this color of yellow gets just by existing, and how monochromatic the armor looks, even with all of my glaze shading. I think the next step is to add more dynamic shading to the armor panels.

Please C&C, and thanks for looking!

Unfortunately, due to the ludicrous level of post-ironic florescent-ness of these guys, and the limits of humor in text, I can't tell if you are serious or not. Ha ha! I will gladly post a tutorial, if you really want one, but with a warning: ABANDON HOPE ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE! Florescent yellow glaze basecoats are not fun.

Yay - Disco marines!

That aside - those are really nice paint jobs - I have a flourescent green I might be tempted to use now on some models perhaps?

Nice job, the paint job looks excellent. Now I'm inspired to add to my Lamenter army since I have a Space Hulk set that never gets used.

nah i'm fully serious. and curious if it works in other colours? like flourescent blue or green?

they look immense

Thanks for looking, and thanks for the encouraging words!

I'm sure this scheme would work well in other flourescent colors, although blue seems to be a little weak. Fortunately (or unfortunately) due to a sculpting brain fart I have yet to paint the Lightning Claw Brother from the set, so I will use him to get a tutorial for these guys up as soon as I can. :cuss

Hey mods...is it a violation of board policy to post pics of the Tyranids from this set?

Next up, in addition to the tutorial, will be some WIP shots as I attempt to get the armour properly shaded and highlighted, and then antiqued/weathered/battledamaged (they are Lamenters ha ha!).

Thanks for looking!

Archived