Repositioning Space Marines with one foot up

Hi there everyone.

While browsing this and other boards, you can see a very popular pose reoccuring in about every second Space Marine thread. It's the "foot-up" pose, where a Space Marine will stand with one foot upon either terrain or fallen enemy.

I've seen a couple of versions of this around. They use many different legs and bits and materials. I use a very simple way that involves nothing but bits and plastic glue.

No Green Stuff. No Plasticard.

I hope you like it!

First off:

Loyalists!

Materials:

• -knife
    -clippers
    -file
    -running Space Marine legs (from the assault squad)
    -a piece of sprue
    -a random bit to cover our sloppy work (see below)

Step One

Choose a pair of legs. All the variants in the Assault squad box should be fine. I used the ones on the right, but the process is exactly the same with all of them.

gallery_34644_2842_83560.jpg

Step Two

Carefully cut off the more angled leg and clean up the area.

Always be careful when using your hobby knife! I cut my thumb real bad while doing this tutorial because I was paying more attention to the Southpark episode I was watching than to what I was actually doing. Always cut AWAY from yourself if possible, and let the knife do the job. If you have to apply brute force when cutting something as thin as plastic soldier legs, you are using the wrong knife.

gallery_34644_2842_56260.jpg

Step Three

Glue the legs back together at the angle you want it to be afterwards. Let the plastic glue dry for a couple of minutes. Don’t worry about the gap in between for now.

gallery_34644_2842_36978.jpg

Step Four

Time to fill that ugly gap. Take a small piece of sprue and cut/trim/file it into a small triangular shape that will fit in the gap between the legs. Then glue it in.

If it doesn’t fit perfectly, wait for it to dry, then file and cut away the protruding edges.

gallery_34644_2842_50029.jpg

Step Five

The gap between the legs is still not very pretty. Instead of actually worrying about that, we will cover it up!

Any large enough bit will do. I used a purity seal, but there are numerous things you could do. Use some of the scroll thingies or a pistol holster or give the marine a tabard that goes over the waist area.

gallery_34644_2842_75304.jpg

And you’re done!

Now for the

Traitors!

Materials:

• - Same as above, but you’ll want different legs.
    - I used these two sets of Possessed legs, as they seem to be made for this pose.

gallery_34644_2842_39705.jpg

Step One

Glue the legs together at the angle you want them to be in the final pose.

gallery_34644_2842_24192.jpg

Step Two

Fill the gap. The gaps on these legs are usually smaller than with the loyalist legs, so I skipped the gap filler here.

Just find yourself a nice chaosy bit to cover up the gap. I used chains and tabards and the like:

gallery_34644_2842_28792.jpg

gallery_34644_2842_64191.jpg

gallery_34644_2842_90727.jpg

Well, and that’s it once again. I hope you like the tutorial. It is nothing very special, but gives fast and good results without any advanced techniques.

Have a nice day/night everyone,

Peter :tu:

Nice tutorial, havn't thought of that before. Strange as I've used an assault leg and a normal leg for a different pose but have always wondered how I would do this one.

And I suppose if you're capable you could just green stuff the gap :P

@grendelwulf: The numbers of cuts and bruises I have suffered through modelling... still totally worth it ^^

@shrike: Of course Green Stuff would also be a nice and fast result. But I try to keep my tutorials as basic as possible. Some people hesitate from using a tutorial that involves GSing even if it is that easy.

@adeptusdavidus: As I said, there are numerous ways to do this pose. Those are just the easiest as they don't involve any kitbashing

@adeptusdavidus: As I said, there are numerous ways to do this pose. Those are just the easiest as they don't involve any kitbashing

Ah, absolutely true. I didn't mean to come off as though I was correcting you, I'm sorry if that's the impression I gave. ;)

The reason I like the kitbashed method I mentioned is that, if you're careful with with your knife (more careful than I am), you can assemble the bits in such a way that you won't need putty, bits, or anything to cover the joint. (And in looking for a picture of the two I've assembled using 'zerk legs and both halves of the kneeling legs, I've discovered that I haven't uploaded any photos of those two! Must do that this evening.)

On another note, how's your thumb? I "enjoyed" a similar experience recently, working on a truescaled terminator. I went to the bathroom and as I came back out, I noticed these funny dark red streaks on the door. As I scratched my head over this, I discovered that my head was bleeding! In a panic, I reached for a towel to staunch the bleeding. That's about when I noticed the little split in the tip of my finger. :blush: A good sharp knife doesn't actually hurt when it cuts you, after all.

Best investment I ever made was a razor saw. I actually bought just the blade, no handle, because I'm cheap, but it works remarkably well, and I think the handle's unnecessary at the scale we work at. The saw is definitely much safer to my poor punctured mitts than a hobby knife, and produces a much tidier cut than I've ever been able to manage with a knife.

A saw, plasticard and a knife that's actually made for modelling are very high on my christmas wishlist. Until now, I've been limiting myself in my conversion work way too much without these tools.

Maybe you could post your pictures in this thread with a little explanation how you did it and we can turn this into a compilation of guides how to achieve this popular post! :D

And my thumb is fine. Luckily, I developed Spacemarine-like regeneration powers on my fingertips ^^

• 1 year later...

Great tutorial! I was hoping someone would have one to help me make more dynamic poses for my Battle-Captain Garro and Captain Sicarius models. Thanks!

And BTW... to Grendelwulf - I LOVE the Elric reference!

...I have two hungry hobby knives like yours nicknamed Stormrazor & Moanblade...

Just hope they don't eat your soul when you slip!

• 2 months later...

I just used this tut to great effect for my Marines Malevolent Veteran, I just wanted to show off the end result of the modeling, and to personally say thank you for the wonderful idea, cathar.

gallery_37532_5399_36758.png

I actually repositioned the feet as well to make him look more natural. Again, thank you, good sir! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't checked this topic in a while XD

I'm glad everybody likes the tutorial.

1000heathens: I'm a follower of your MM thread and I'd have never guessed you based that conversion on my tutorial because it's just executed that much better ^^

On the other hand, I make my tutorials with the least material and easiest techniques. You went the extra mile with yours, which shows that conversions just get better the more time and material you invest. If I ever redo this tutorial and submit it to the Librarium, could I use your image as an example of how to improve on the basic tutorial?

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

compliments on the great tute, that was very helpful.

If possible, can you please tell me where you acquired the helmet on the first (assembled) traitor marine? It is the unpainted one.

Thanks in advance

Archived