Scrap metal!

Guerra

I've got a game against Necrons this coming Saturday.

Amusingly enough, I've been playing since 2nd ed., and Necrons are the one race I've never faced, so I'm at somewhat of a loss in regards of what to take and how to kill them.

Suggestions?

depends on what you are facing. If a C'tan appears, take sternguard for hellfire nailage on them.

If any Anti-tank weapons are wanted for monolith duty, take lascannons and demolisher cannons. MMs can't touch them due to their rather bad worded rule (UNAUGMENTED! doubleing is AUGMENTING.../rant which makes any attack have D6 penetration regardless of rules so half range meltas, chainfists etc. don't get 2d6 pen. nor does lance weapon rule redice it's armour).

Aim for necron models, warriors, immortals, etc. Also bring flamers and a TFC if you can, scarab swarms hate those things (if they turbo they get a 2+ cover save so ignoring their rather insane cover hurts them and blasts deal 2 wounds per failed save instead of just one). Scarabs will not count towards the necron phas out however they will ruin your day (3 wounds per base, and they normally appear in groups of 5-10. they also have 3 attacks, good luck with removing them if they multi charge you). Just keep nailing the necron models and force phase out.

another thing to watch out for, gauss may of been nerfed but it still works nicely against tanks. One 6 on the armour pen will glance and most likely do something you don't want (and it ranges from not firing to losing it's movement...and trust me, one immoblised result is a dream for scarabs with dis fields, imagine 30 odd auto hiting attacks that need a 6 to glance regardless of armour...yes this includes land raiders!).

One last thing, wraiths, destroyers and heavy destroyers and some of the fastest units that can do serious damage. Destroyers and their heavy counter parts can easily swing around a tanks side and pop side shots...worse still they can turbo to boot so don't count on closing for an assault unless he is silly! heavys are effectively lascannons with 12" movement and T5.

And remember another few facts: all units in the necron army are LD10, they all (bar scarabs and tomb spyders) have BS4 and WS4. Put mildly don't play standing toe-to-toe with them. nail small units first (like heavy destroyers, wraiths whose 3+ save is also invunerable) the work on the warriors unless some other small units like flayed ones or immortals appear. As a necron player I can tell you not to expect pariahs however do expect a nasty warsycthe lord to run up to your storm shields, give them the middle digit and slaughter your guys hiding behind them since warsycthes ignore both invunerables and armour saves...oh and dreads don't work ether as they get 2d6 pen against AV (and a lord is S5 T5 basic with 3 attacks, on a destroyer body he becomes T6 and a seriously powerful attacker!).

Thats all I can say, probaly not alot to learn from but it does give you some insight on the necron foe...now just make sure you keep your soul for the c'tan to feast upon! (ahem, I mean, may the emperor protect! :wub: )

Vindicators make Necrons cry. (heck, Vindi's make anyone cry)

And Assault Terminators (any flavor works, but 60/40 Claws/Hammers is best) are golden against Necrons.

The thing to remember about Necrons is that their basic troops are effectively Marines with low Initiative. Bring an Assault-focused force and get into CC and you should do fine. Necron's high Ld is a curse, in that they can't really run away from a lost combat.

Just ignore the Monoliths and C'tan (if present) and go for Phase Out. Kill enough of the models with the Necron special rule and the whole army dissappears.

Hope I helped.

(note: I just played a 2k point game against 'Crons using the advice I listed above, and won. Good luck in your game.)

Remember the gauss rule, that all basic necron units can glance any vehicle on a 6, note that power weapons deny WBB(unless a resorb is present, but still), as does instant death(most basic 'crons are T4). Necrons are power weapon deficient, but that of the three unit types they have that can ignore armor, almost all also ignore invuln saves(the only basic power weapon in the codex is the staff of light, but warscythe is a cheap upgrade to ignore invuln saves too).

Staff of light and particle whip are also only AP3, so terminators still get a save, though Nightbringer does have an AP2 s9 hit, as do hvy destroyers.

My observations formulating tactica vs Necrons(one of my best friends plays them).

Vindicator is remarkably awesome, will cause instadeath and ignore armor, but you most likely will get a weapon destroyed or immobilized on these as your opponent will prioritize it #1.

Terminators, any variety. TH will instadeath, as will powerfists, while claws will eliminate more pure numbers and still deny WBB. Your invulns on the TH/SS will not save them from warscythes or ctan, so avoid HtH with ctan if at all possible. Terminators are gold if you can get them into HtH where most necrons are vulnerable.

Sternguard, AP3 ammo is love vs almost all necrons, hellfire bolts are awesome vs ctan(10 sternguard have an exceptionally good chance of killing it in one volley of rapid fire). Enough said.

Plasma is also great(espescially cannons!), ignoring armor is denying saves, even if plasma won't instadeath anything but scarabs. A 4x Plasma gun command squad will output a lot of burney plasmadeath on Necrons.

Melta works wonders, instadeath and ignoring armor, but the close range and few shots makes it a weaker choice overall than plasma in my opinion.

Krak missiles will work in a pinch, AP3 and S8 means death for most of the necron list as well. If you're taking devestators either missiles or plasma, or a mix.

Assault marines would do great if you can get them into CC without taking too many shooting losses. Plasma pistols or flamers plus a fist or even just a power weapon should work, lead them with a chaplain if possible.

Your highest value targets should be hvy. destroyers, destroyers, praiahs, immortals. If you can eliminate his lords in CC, go for it, though note that they can't be instadeathed by a powerfist(lysander can do it though!). Lords, monoliths, and destroyers give necrons most of their mobility, not much you can do against monolith aside from massed lascannon fire(or going for the lucky shot), but focus on the others if you can.

In short, deny them their saves, deny them high value easy armor kills, and assault assault assault. Low initiative means that any of your dedicated assault troops(or even sternguard, or tacticals) should be able to win combat and cause a leadership test, and lack of power weapon equivalents mean that your thunderhammers and powerfists should usually be able to strike unmolested.

If you take heavily armored support, use your rhinos to shield them when you can, as most necron weapons won't be able to destroy the rhinos outright and thus you can have a very nice mobile coversave for say, land raiders, predators, or razorbacks.

Try to also take advantage of the range of your heavy weapons, most necrons won't be able to fire outside of 24". Always go for phaseout.

I wrote a little something up when I first found out that one of my friends was picking up Necrons. If it provides any insight, then I'm not crazy and utterly useless XD

Linky,

Also, over much experimentation and pain, I figured out that Terminators give necrons the hardest time. When you solve the problem of the C'tan and Pariahs with some sternguard, your terminators suddenly have nothing to fear.

If you don't have sternguard immediately available when the C'tan shows up, then try to force it into a multiple assault by simply going for the squishies first. If the C'tan wants to join in, it has to risk taking no retreat wounds when it loses combat (It WILL lose combat when you wipe out 10 warriors in one go). This is costlier than using sternguard, but is effective for the same reason sternguard are effective: it forces wounds on a very tough unit. 4 to 6 wounds on a 4+ save means the C'tan is taking quite a few wounds, and while you have lost a few of your terminators (sometimes quite a bit), you also did a lot more to the C'tan than if you had tried to directly target the C'tan.

Guys, one problem with the Sternguard suggestions:

Armies played: Blood Angels, Imperial Guard, Orks

So unless Guerra will be using C: SM, he will not have Sternguard as an option for at least a couple months. :devil:

That is why I suggested that he just ignore the C'tan, if it is present. It moves like normal infantry, and a quick-moving force (BAs are great at this) can outmaneuver a C'tan and pick it's own fights.

So shoot any Pariahs (I doubt that the opponent will have a lot of them, the mini's are very expensive and they don't get WBB), "herd" and avoid the C'tan, ignore the Monoliths, and assault the rest.

Alright, so, a resounding victory. ;)

I took Imperial Guard in the end. A simple Command HQ, two 4-squad platoons, a squad of veterans and a squad of stormtroopers, both mounted on Chimeras, 2 Leman Russ tanks and a Basilisk.

The game was pretty straightforward. I basicaly shot up all of his warrior squads and destroyers, and longer range and volume of fire ended up winning the day. Casualties were negligible. The most casualties I took was when one of my tanks blew up and took 16 guardsmen with it.

Thank you all for the advice.

3Combat squaded 10 man Tactical w/PC and PG: 5guy no ops/5 guys all ops(pg,pc)

1 (10m) 1 (5m) Devastator squads w/ 4 PC

3 Dreads w/ PCs and

Chapter master Ardice Armor and OB.

Pretty close 15oo points

Use your(3) 5 man combat Squads to Screen your Gun Block(cover saves)

Join your chapter Master to the 5 man Dev and you'll be on your way to laying down 14 small Plates and one large str 10/Large plate and well you have to consider scatter dice

Do you best in target selection to "Break up" Units so therefore negating the "we'll be back/FNP" advantage of being space zombies

As for killing gods... again 14 Str 7 plates and the ur OB for the clean up

Use your Dreads to Counter assualt if, and only if they get that close. my thoughts for dealing the with the NECKs

Archived