Land Raider Ares

Asrech

Well here we go, a few weeks ( too many ) worth of modelling and painting and the damned shoebox is finished!

Some might have followed along in my WIP thread *in my sig* and if so, thanks for goign along with the ride :)

But here is now my finished LR Ares, with some short fluff about its origins.

"For three whole weeks the 3rd Company of the Ash Dragons chapter had slamed themselves against the walls of the arch traitors bastion. For eight weeks they had spilled their blood upon the cursed world of Angiath, and for what?

The entire population seemed to resist them as they hunted down the champions of chaos, untill they finaly had retreated back to their stronghold and closed its gates.

With the Dragon Fire, their company Strike Cruiser, out of com-range, stalking the cursed ships of the enemy through the system there was no option but to thrust forward.

The Ash Dragons had come to this world to liberate yet their hands were forced to purify instead as the enitre world turned its face from the Emperors light.

For every brother lost there were a hundred heretics slain, yet there was no end to the flood. And as the population of a whole world came to die at their blades the traitors laughed begind their walls.

Shells and fire was poured over these walls, yet they resisted, aided by the dark sorceries of the warp. By the death of every soldier the spirits of his battle-brothers fell further, as they were denied the retribution they sought again and again.

Chaplain Keroch E'ras decided that the only thing that would lift his company out of the darkness of their minds was the utter and complete annihilation of the enemy, so he sought out the company techmarines.

On the eve of the fourth week of siege there came a howling through the air, an impact upon the daemon-gate and as the smoke cleared the bretheren of the 3rd company saw what they had longed for, a breach.

Out of the darkness came a apparition that threw terror into the hearts of the enemy. It's hull black as the soul of night with the skulls of the damned burning in it's holy fires, and next to it strode Chaplain Keroch, his crozius held high, his voice booming through the night.

The cannon and each shell fired had been inscribed with prayers by Keroch himself, so that the protective powers of the daemon-magic became nought before it's fury.

Upon it's roof hung a sheet of parchment onto wich the litany of destruction had been written, and it's hull was etched with holy wards and prayers of purity.

No weapon that the enemy could bring to bear could scratch it's armour, nor harm the Chaplain as he chanted the litanies of purification.

As the gates fell before the cannons holy fire the Ash Dragons surged forward, their fury unleashed at last. In a storm of violence and death the 3rd company cleansed the bastion, every inch purged with fire and every traitor brought low.

The sun rose into the sky yet again as the Ash Dragons strode from the ruins and set forth to bring back the light of the Emperor to the masses of Angriath, by bolter, blade and fire if they had to.

With their dark masters obliderated, the cultists lost the fevour that had driven them before, and with no sorcerers to summon aid from the warp they were quickly defeated.

Wherever the Gate of Redemption appeared, battle brothers fought harder and the faith of those who had not given themselves to chaos was renewed, and they rose to join the 3rd company in the purge of their homeworld.

To this day the Chaplains tend to the Gate of Redemption in coalition with the chapters techmarines, so that the machinespirit and the holy wards bestowed upon it may stay strong, and bring the fury of the Ash Dragons to the heart of the enemy.

Be they of this plane or the warp, man or xenos, nothing will stand before it."

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad224/Ash_Dragons/Areswhole.jpg

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad224/Ash_Dragons/Aresshield.jpg

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad224/Ash_Dragons/Aresfront.jpg

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad224/Ash_Dragons/Arestop.jpg

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad224/Ash_Dragons/Aresright.jpg

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad224/Ash_Dragons/Aresleft.jpg

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad224/Ash_Dragons/Aresrear.jpg

C&C greatly appreciated :)

Cheers!

wow you've put a ton of work into this model, can be seen instantly.

and your painting skills are really good.

that's just personal taste, but the final result is a bit OTT for me. i prefer a bit less decoration.

Thanks a bunch guys!

pattison: Well the ornatness of the tank is partialy the entire idea behind it and the effect I was striving for, so that it is as much a moving shrine as a weapon.

Inquisitor =D=: :lol: About the golden bolter, honestly hadn't thought about that at all.. but hey I just might, no harm done and it could be fun to see how it fares,

What do you others think about it, should enter it?

Thanks for the kind words guys ;)

Well if Iäm going to enter it, does anyone have any tips on what could bring it up even further? I'll probably go over the black highlights again just to clean up a few that are a little sloppy still, but other than that.. :P

Yes the Dies Irae I remembered when someone pointed it out in the WIP section the same day as I got it done :( So it will probably be fixed to something else before entry in BG. Damn heretics for stealing cool latin phrases!

Next up is stripping and re-painting 25 sternguards and a slightly converted Land Speeder Storm. So there will be more coming :P

Keep the C&C coming guys, could always use more feedback ;)

Congratulations on an awesome additiion to your army. I foresee it being the centerpiece for some time to come...barring the release of a plastic Thunderhawk, which can't happen too soon from my perspective.

That being said, bravo!

The only thing that niggles me is that I know you've put a bunch of inking work on the silver metallics and it's really not translating in your pics. I'd say that in order to help your chances, at a minimum, look into or talk to someone who understands photography and see what can be done to bring that out. It still looks a bit like you've just painted the tracks with Boltgun and called it done...which we know isn't true.

May it bring you years of pleasure while it faithfully eradicates xenos scum and heretics!

Cheers,

Heh.. "Dies Irae" calling a loyalist tank after THE most infamous traitor Imperator Titan in the galaxy..

Dies Irae is latin, it means "Day of Death". In which case I'd consider it pretty appropriate! :)

Day of wrath or day of death ( the reason I put it on the cannon ;) ). But like FerrumIgnatus said it is the name of a quite famus chaos titan.

I'm just annoyed that I remembered it myself AFTER putting it on the banner :P Well being blonde does that at times.

Yes a plastic thunderhawk is most likely the wet dream for most SM players, and it would translate into even more hours of converting and painting!

I can see your point about the metal.. I'll fiddle with the camera and I might go over the metal again to see what I can do with it.

And once again thanks :)

Heh.. "Dies Irae" calling a loyalist tank after THE most infamous traitor Imperator Titan in the galaxy..

Dies Irae is latin, it means "Day of Death". In which case I'd consider it pretty appropriate! <_<

Irae is wrath in latin, not death. It's Day of Wrath, and it's also an old latin hym, but google can fill you in on all of that. :-p

Thanks <_< While I was green stuffing I actually thought: Hmm this tank would give daddy Khorne a smile.

The front banner has been repainted, it now reads; REDEMPTION instead of DIES IRAE. Took quite a few attempts untill the lettering was OK, still not as good as I want it o be, but lettering isn't my strong side.

I've also gone over the tracks and chains with another layer of black ink, and some extra highligts of mithril.

And on another note, what do you guys recon to be the best background for the pics I want to send to the Golden Bolter, just plain white or some other color?

Cheers!

Well finally got around to it and re-did the lettering on the front and top.

The sword banner still reads the same ( The brave may fall, but never yield), but the front banner now reads Redemption instead.

The first banners were done with my standard brush, but since I found the one I usually use it came out a bit better. Still not perfect, far from it, but better.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z104/Asrech/AresGoldenBolter019.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z104/Asrech/AresGoldenBolter002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You have heard it before, but I believe credit, where credit is due.

And with that I shall join the adoring masses. Your converting and greenstuff work is INCREDIBLE! That is one amazing tank that REALLY takes every part of the game to the next level. The way it works with the over all theme of the army is flawless. Seriously dude, absolutely amazing work.

On a gaming perspective... oh how I wish that tank were in our codex! I shall keep my fingers crossed that one day it shall be fielded in a regular game.

Archived