The Emperors Vengeance Blades

spjaco

I have an idea for a Chapter of the 15th Founding called "The Emperors Vengeance Blades"

Basically the rough concept is this:

Chapter is formed from Geneseed of the Ultramarines. However due to no fault of their own suffered heavy casualities their first few hundred years out of the box so to speak and were nearly wiped out twice. The chapter even lost two Chapter Masters in a single year! Since its founding the Chapter has rarely ever fought together or in groups of more than three companies. Hence the chapter has grown capable of fighting small scale actions and behind the lines missions.

Although the Chapter owes its origins to the Ultramarines the second time it was nearly wiped out only a single chapter offered any assistance: The Dark Angels (no chapter assisted them the first time and the chapter literally pulled itself back together). As a result the Chapter uses some DA tactics/organizations but has Ultramarine Geneseed.

They keep their armor base color blue and utilize a painted on inverted sword as their symbol. More elite or veteran characters actually have a sword added to their shoulder armor.

Any suggestions?

hello.

well...good start but i think that losing two chapter masters in one year is slightly overkill...in my humble opinion.

you may also want to point out why no-one helped such a young chapter in dire need of aid (disrespect to the UM's?).

apart from that it looks good =)

BBL

Edit: in a normal surcumstances, a chapter would help another if needed. maybe there were no chapters able to respond (own problems, waging wars, drinking ale, etc... :devil: just find an idea that's good for the fluff of your chapter!)

I agree with Ferrus, the name is a little on the long side. The Emperor's Blades would be fine, as would Blades of Vengeance.

Most marine actions are on a very small scale, even down to a single marine. Generally, a marine force will be a small number of squads (1-4) with a little back-up. The big battles we do on tabletop are not representative of fluff marines.

Why did no-one help them and what do you mean organisational changes? Remember, the Dark Angels only have the Death-/Raven-wing to hunt the Fallen.

They keep their armor base color blue and utilize a painted on inverted sword as their symbol. More elite or veteran characters actually have a sword added to their shoulder armor.

What, exactly, is an inverted sword? :D

There's already a chapter called "The Emperor's Blade" within the librarium.

Blades Of Vengeance could work, though.

What, exactly, is an inverted sword?

I think in heraldry it would be one vertical with the hilt at the top rather than at the bottom, a la DA?

And thanks for remembering me, Ace!

@spjaco: You might want to look at the links in my sig. Having said that, personally it doesn't bother me at all if you want to do your Chapter as you've described but the name, colour and badge all together might raise some people's eyebrows! :P

Alright needs elaborated why no one came to their assistance. Perhaps they were on the farthest reaches of Imperium Space or something like that. As the others said shorten the name to Blades of Vengeance, Vengeance Blades, or Emperor's Vengeance. I don't know about including Dark Angels as things can get pretty touchy and out of place when you name drop some chapters. And giving the Dark Angels such an important role might take away from the chapter.

Iron Gauntlet:12/20

Vengeance Blades it is.

Okay first let me go into the non-fluff facts about my army. First off a friend of mine was leaving the hobby and had around $400 worth of DA Space Marines. I wasnt too sure I could paint them to do them justice and was just coming off of TWO Afghanistan Deployments and wanted something fun and light, not dark and ominious. So I painted them Ultramarines, and played them as the third company of that chapter. At this point I am looking to expand beyond the limits of the Third Coy and feel a little constrained by the rules and fluff with the Ultra's and dont really care to revert back to DA.

Why will I use Blue Armor?

In tribute to the Primarchs Chapter from whom their Geneseed is sown.

Why is the downward pointed blade used for a chapter symbol?

In short Vengeance is represent by the "coup de gras" (killing stroke) which is usually a downward stab into the fallen victim.

They are the Emperors Vengeance. The fact that the Dark Angels came to their assistance once has no direct meaning on the blades meaning. It is fitting and to many of the uninformed my have a more direct link but this is not the case.

I will be working on more of the fluff, but right now I think the loss of two Chapter Masters in a single year, THEIR FIRST YEAR, makes a significant impact on the psyche of the Chapter and its Marines. Now as far as it nearly being wiped out twice and still surviving also builds character. I will say the first time they nearly were wiped out "I" members were involved as well as Tyranids and a nasty warp storm just for added flavor. Basically the Chapter is sturdy in combat, they just have awful luck!

The Chapter itself will be organized around this template:

1st Veteran Company (Terminators) - Some may have mixed assault "T's" with the Tactical Squads but this will only be in two or three squads.

2nd Winged Vengeance Company - Just like the Ravenwing. Only no Jetbike.

3-4-5-6 (yes 6) will be the Battle Companies. Each will have a Veteran Squad (similiar to Sternguard but following DA rules) and a Vanguard Squad (Ultramarines style) in addition to its standard complement.

7-8 Tactical Reserve Companies

9 Assault Company

10 Devastator Company

11th Scout Company 20 squads, 5-10 scouts a piece. The current chapter master is serious about the chapter not facing annihilation again.

The Chapter started off as a space based chapter but after BFM won/reclaimed a system that Chaos had only recently seized and now call it home. It is called Vargos. 12 planets, five of which are habitable, two have hive cities and major production facilities. In addition the Chapter has access to three other planets for recruits due it once being space based.

What do you think?

I will be working on more of the fluff, but right now I think the loss of two Chapter Masters in a single year, THEIR FIRST YEAR, makes a significant impact on the psyche of the Chapter and its Marines.

Ouch, IMHO I'd make it a decade, a years not long taking in to consideration time spent travelng between worlds.

The Chapter itself will be organized around this template:

1st Veteran Company (Terminators) - Some may have mixed assault "T's" with the Tactical Squads but this will only be in two or three squads.

2nd Winged Vengeance Company - Just like the Ravenwing. Only no Jetbike.

3-4-5-6 (yes 6) will be the Battle Companies. Each will have a Veteran Squad (similiar to Sternguard but following DA rules) and a Vanguard Squad (Ultramarines style) in addition to its standard complement.

7-8 Tactical Reserve Companies

9 Assault Company

10 Devastator Company

11th Scout Company 20 squads, 5-10 scouts a piece. The current chapter master is serious about the chapter not facing annihilation again.

11 companies? Not following the codex like their founders? :)

Just my thoughts, liking the name

Tyranids didn't show up in the galaxy until a while after the most recent founding.

If your first company is going to be full of terminators, I'd strongly reccomend being from an older founding.

Heck, some of my guys from the ninth founding are still waiting for the stuff. :D

Anyway, I look forward to seeing where this chapter is going.

Brother Alucard -

o I like ten years as well. Momentary lapse of memory on just how long the SM's live. So ten years would make more since.

o As far as Eleven companies goes this change occured after the current chapter master rebuilt the chapter the second time. He decided that he wanted to be able to manuever his chapter swiftly and violently on the battlefield and since this matched the "Ravenwings" mission perfectly he adopted it as his second company as well but chose not to drop a battle company for it. He figured if the Space Wolves can get away with it so should he.

Ace Debonair -

o You have a point there. Perhaps a reconfiguring of the timeline for the chapter is in order:

o So the first time the chapter was nearly wiped out (henceforth called "The Reckoning" (both times will be known as this and survivors will be marked by a raised sword, not a painted on one on their chapter symbol!) was against the forces of Chaos Marines led by no less than two Chaos Princes (I have their names somewheres, I will find them.). It was from these same forces that the chapter (centuries later) captured what is currently their homeworld/system.

o The second Reckoning occured involved the Inquisition (or rather a rogue element of it), Tyranids and a Warp Storm.

The Dark Angels arrived with just enough force to turn the tide in the Blades favor at a pivotal moment that saved the chapter after it had been pounded heavily.

o Each squad has the option to have an Apothecary assigned to it permanently if one is available.

Furthermore the Chapter Motto will be: "Honesta Mors - Turpi Vita Potior" or "Die Standing"

The current chapter master "Mareus" commanded the second company during the second Reckoning and assumed command of the chapter after the Chapter Master fell. (Its a highly visible/high turnover position apparently). He has led it ever since and by some accounts has actually held the position longer than any other. Think of him as a Pedro esque figure, perhaps a bit more quieter and brooding, and more than a little sarcastic.

As far as Eleven companies goes this change occured after the current chapter master rebuilt the chapter the second time. He decided that he wanted to be able to manuever his chapter swiftly and violently on the battlefield and since this matched the "Ravenwings" mission perfectly he adopted it as his second company as well but chose not to drop a battle company for it. He figured if the Space Wolves can get away with it so should he.

Meh, I find this weak reasoning to support an idea that weakens the hold chapter as a premise. Organisational changes are generally a poor idea as they are usually implemented for reasons that don't make sense fluffwise. Also "because the Space Wolves do it" isn't a very good reason, fluffwise or real-world wise. Chapters have ten companies, that is it. You could have an enlarged 10th Company (although this will lead to an intake of lesser recruits that could leave the chapter weakened). Changing one Battle Company to a Ravenwing esque company would be fine, but you don't need to add a 6th company.

Two Chaos Princes is a little overkill - a little mary sue. Make it a more realisitic battle that your chapter gets defeated in, don't make it a massive heoric defeat. The same goes for having the Inquisition invovled in the second one, let the chapter get owned without them being under massive odds. Also, I'm not sure a chapter would set up their base on a chaos infested world (or one that has had chaos on it recently)

The only reason I reference the two Daemon Princes in one fight is my most recent battle involved just such a happening. Chaos United vs Vengeance Blades and Imperial Guard (Apoc level points, but with standard models). In this battle the lone Captain I fielded managed to take down FOUR Obilterators single handedly before BOTH Princes teamed up with a Defiler and tore him a new blankity-blank-blank. I do get a lot of my ideas from the games I participate in.

As far as Eleven companies goes this change occured after the current chapter master rebuilt the chapter the second time. He decided that he wanted to be able to manuever his chapter swiftly and violently on the battlefield and since this matched the "Ravenwings" mission perfectly he adopted it as his second company as well but chose not to drop a battle company for it. He figured if the Space Wolves can get away with it so should he.

Note how it says he wants to maintain the Violence Factor but increase his Manueverability. The Violence comes from the Firepower of the Chapters Battle Companies, the 1st Companies Terminators, and the Devastator Company, not to mention the two companies of Tactical Reserve SM's (I am considering dropping one of these two to get things within the ten company roster model. The Maneuver comes from the 2nd Winged Vengeance Company and of course the Assault Company. The eleventh company is also enlarged to allow for more recruits whenever possible.

Also the comment on the Space Wolves Chapter is accredited to the Chapter Master and is just an example of his sarcasm and willingness to thumb his nose at authority when it conflicts with what he sees as his responisbility both to the Imperium and His Chapter. He fought long and hard by the rules of the codex and watched many a fellow marine die, now its his turn to be in charge and he isnt trying to write a new codex or impose his will anywhere outside of his own chapter. If you dont care for this idea that is cool and your right to critize, but I was attempting to give you some insight into the thought process of this embattled leader as he himself tries to guide his chapter through the darkness that is M41.

Its not light I would ever be able to field the entire chapter anywheres on a table after all :wacko: . Thought that would be fun for any Chapter I believe. Besides if you dont let individual players tweak the set up a little then you should just say there are chapters A,B, and C and you cant add anymore, you can only play these. In the US Army we believe the rules exist for a reason, but that reason is usually a guideline for safety; when a better idea comes along we dont drop it cuz "we always did it the other way" we actually consider it, and if its A. Safe, and B. Actually Works more than half the time it becomes a valid option. Look at how our squad/platoon/company/battalion/regiment/brigade/division/corps organization has changed in the Infantry since 1776.

Mareus truely believes in Guillemans Codex and all that it stands for, but his is also open-minded enough to realize that it is a "GUIDELINE" not Scripture as many would have them believe. He truely believes that WHEN, NOT IF Guilleman heals and rises again he will be proven correct. If not then may he fall in battle next to those brave Space Marines he leads.

I apologize if this seems to be a rather in depth response but as a Combat Veteran (Afghanistan TWICE) and a leader I try to understand the mindset of not only those I face but those I work alongside and for. Therefore when I speak for Mareus's mindset I try to put you into the mind of a proven combat tested veteran who bares his scars and soul for the world to see and seeks only that they understand him or at the least get out of his way and let him do his work.

You may not get my point but I had to at least try. Perhaps there is way to much Psycho-babble but I was only trying to establish his mindset to the readers.

Also I am still working out all the fluff so things as always are subject to change.

Strike Captain Lysimachus

I checked out your Emperors Blades 4th Company and I must commend your artwork. Really inspiring and I thought exquisitely detailed.

Also this is a list of my forces to date:

o Captain (Counts as Vulkan)

o Chaplain

o Librarian

o Techmarine

o Command Squad - Veteran Sergeant, Apothecary, Veteran with melta gun, Company Champion, and Standard Bearer

o Six Tactical Squads (60 Space Marines) Mostly rocket launchers and flamers, but I do have one squad with a heavy bolter and another with a plasma rifle, my six squad has a multi-melta and another flamer

o Two Devastator Squads (18 Space Marines, Second squad is under contruction and will sport two plasma cannons, rocket launcher, and will have a lascannon) Completed squad has a Lascannon, Multi Melta, Heavy Bolter, and Rocket Launcher

o Two Assault Squads (14 Space Marines) each squad has P. Fist, Plasma Pistol, and Flamer, oh and Vet Sgt has Melta Bombs

o One Scout Sniper Squad with homing beacon (5 Space Marines)

o Two Terminator Squads (on loan from first company of course) with 20 Termie's with Cyclone Missile Launcher and Assault Cannon (have two additional Terminator's with LC and one with Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield but as its not enough for Assault Termie Squad they mostly chill out, though I have toyed with have them go along with Fabian as kind of a uber command squad, LOL)

o Dreadnaught (soon to be Venerable) with Lascannon and Missile Launcher

o Dreadnaught (soon to be Venerable) with DCCW, Storm Bolter and Multi Melta

o Landraider (straight Vanilla version with Lascannons, Heavy Bolters, Storm Bolters)

o Rhino (Storm Bolter)

o Razorback (Lascannon and twin linked plasma guns as well as the dozer blade)

o Landspeeder with assault cannon and heavy bolter

o Landspeeder with assault cannon and multi melta

You seem to be forgetting one major factor, the Imperium and Space Marines are not like us. They do not think by our logic - whilst we see change as good and adapt to the situation, the Imperium is very backwards. They see change as the enemy, something that will lead to the downfall of man. This spreads through all things - the Codex not only tells a Marine how to organise his force, but how to clean his weapon, how to pray, how to assault a ship, how to eat, how to hold a gun, how to breathe....everything. It is the Space Marine holy scripture.

Besides if you dont let individual players tweak the set up a little then you should just say there are chapters A,B, and C and you cant add anymore, you can only play these

I completely disagree. Go look through the Librarium, tell me how many great and characterful chapters there is in that one place. Now tell me how many of them have some wierd and wacky organisation. I've only created one chapter that has a different organisation, and they fell to Chaos before they did. We all want to do this at some point, I did, but it really does start pushing the fluff in a bad way. Space Marines are limited to 1000 combat marines. Some chapters (Salamanders) may decided to organise them a little differently, but that one limit is very important. It stems from the biggest and deadlieset war mankind has ever fought - it is an attempt to stop it happening again. If your CM wants to have a mobile force, then thats fine, but if he steps over the 1000 marine limit, people are going to ask questions. That is why I suggested having them have an enlarged scout company, no-one really cares how many scouts you have as long as it is roughly 100 but this will go upto 200 or down to 20 all them time depending on battle-losses.

Having a change like that might make sense, dropping a reserve company in favour of a battle company. The question is, how does this effect the chapter (cause and effect). By losing a Reserve company, those in the battle company will be inferior to other chapters (less time training/supporting). Now, is this a significant effect on the chapter? Do they recieve more battle loses due to inexperience? Do they really seperate Veterans across to make up for it?

After much consideration I think this will work best:

1st Company Terminators

2nd Company Wing Vengeance

3-5 Battle Companies (Each shall have one less Tactical Squad, but will have a Veteran Squad in its place(see DA Codex)

6-7 Tactical Reserve Companies

8th Assault Reserve Company (Three Squads will be Vanguard, they will act as trainers for the other Reserve Assault Squads and can be tasked out to Battle Companies as needed).

9th Devastator Reserve Company

10th Scout Company (numbers vary from 100-200 at any given time).

I think that will work and give most everyone a warm and fuzzy on Codex issues. This chapter will have consolidated a lot of its experienced warriors as Sergeants and in these elite squads in order to preserve the skill set they have developed and train the next generation.

Thoughts?

The Chapters Armory will be equiped as follows:

10 Land Raiders

1 LR Redeemer

1 LR Crusader (used by the Chapter Master as a command vehicle)

(?) 1 LR Terminus Ultra Pattern (may or may not actually have this one)

6 Whirlwinds

6 Vindicators

6 Razorbacks (one per command squad with another to shuttle around Techmarines and their Servitors (this latter part is merely fluff)

12 Predators (four per Battle Company)

Each Battle Company (2nd Coy doesnt lacks the ability to move such a force fast enough), the Tactical Companies each have four, and the Devastator has eight such units. For a total of 28 Dreads in all.

sm.php?bpe=0619C7&bpj=0D0C0C&bp=0619C7&bpc=0619C7&hdt=0619C7&hdm=0619C7&hdl=0619C7&ey=1DED0E&er=0619C7&pi=050505&nk=0619C7&ch=0619C7&eg=FAB505&sk=A39D9D&abs=0619C7&bt=4A2E03&cod=0619C7&ull=0619C7&lk=0619C7&lll=0619C7&lft=0619C7&url=0619C7&rk=0619C7&lrl=0619C7&rft=0619C7&slt=C7061C&sli=0619C7&srt=C7061C&sri=0619C7&ula=0619C7&lel=0619C7&lla=0619C7&lw=0619C7&lh=0619C7&ura=0619C7&rel=0619C7&rla=0619C7&rw=0619C7&rh=0619C7&bg=14A839&rb=121111&gr=292727&http://spacemarineCACT6P33.jpg

:lol:

Hope this works cuz I dont know where the URL might be or how to get it off the SM Painters. Five times I have saved (supposedely images of my chapter and it has never been SAVED or allowed me to post it.) Do you have to donate? Is that the trick for it to work?

The Fleet consists of:

2 Battle Barges (one is currently in dry dock as a result of combat with an ork space hulk)

4 Strike Cruisers

12 Rapid Strike Cruisers

35 Thunderhawks

I am aware this chapter seems an awful lot like the Dark Angels Chapter and in many ways that is the intent. I am curious to see how a chapter that has deverted from the Codex in some ways but not that many overall would perform, both in terms of fluff and on the table top.

I welcome any suggestions and am curious as to how some of you have gotten such good chapter fluff and planetary photos on your posts.

spjaco

Re-edit:

Vengeance Blades

Chapter was formed during the 15th Founding. In its first fifty years three chapter masters were killed in battle thus the chapter didnt have any single leaders influence upon its formation for some time. Twice the Chapter has been nearly wiped out, both times were in Battle against the forces of Chaos (each period is known to the Chapter as the "Reckoning." At times the first event is known as the 1st and the 2nd Reckoning in order to be more specific. Any SM that survived one of these events is entitled to wear an inverted sword embossed upon his chapter symbol as opposed to painted). Throughout its history it has battled Chaos and Orks almost exclusively.

Veterans are assigned to the

Its is organized as follows:

1st Company Terminators

2-5 Battle Companies (Each shall have one less Tactical Squad, but will have a Veteran Squad in its place(see DA Codex)

6-7 Tactical Reserve Companies

8th Assault Reserve Company (Three Squads will be Vanguard, they will act as trainers for the other Reserve Assault Squads and can be tasked out to Battle Companies as needed). This Company can deploy in a fashion similiar to the Ravenwing of the DA)

9th Devastator Reserve Company

10th Scout Company (numbers vary from 100-200 at any given time).

The Armory is composed of the following:

10 Land Raiders

1 LR Redeemer

1 LR Crusader (used by the Chapter Master as a command vehicle)

(?) 1 LR Terminus Ultra Pattern (may or may not actually have this one)

6 Whirlwinds

6 Vindicators

6 Razorbacks (one per command squad with another to shuttle around Techmarines and their Servitors (this latter part is merely fluff)

12 Predators (four per Battle Company)

Each Battle Company, as well as the first; will have four Dreadnaughts. The Reserve Tactical with each also have four Dreads, while the Devastator will feature eight such suits of armor.

To be continued.

The Fleet consists of:

2 Battle Barges (one is currently in dry dock as a result of combat with an ork space hulk)

4 Strike Cruisers

12 Rapid Strike Cruisers

35 Thunderhawks

The first time the chapter was nearly wiped out (henceforth called "The Reckoning" (both times will be known as this and survivors will be marked by a raised sword, not a painted on one on their chapter symbol!) was against the forces of Chaos Marines led by no less than two Chaos Princes (I have their names somewheres, I will find them.). It was from these same forces that the chapter (centuries later) captured what is currently their homeworld/system known as Vargos.

o The second Reckoning occured involved the Inquisition (or rather a rogue element of it), Chaos and a Warp Storm.

The Dark Angels arrived with just enough force to turn the tide in the Blades favor at a pivotal moment that saved the chapter after it had been pounded heavily.

o Each squad has the option to have an Apothecary assigned to it permanently if one is available.

Furthermore the Chapter Motto will be: "Honesta Mors - Turpi Vita Potior" or "Die Standing"

The current chapter master "Mareus" commanded the second company during the second Reckoning and assumed command of the chapter after the Chapter Master fell. (Its a highly visible/high turnover position apparently). He has led it ever since and by some accounts has actually held the position longer than any other. Think of him as a Pedro esque figure, perhaps a bit more quieter and brooding, and more than a little sarcastic.

Archived