[LPC] WIP Wolf Pack

StormDragon

OK so I've signed up for the Librarium Painting Challenge with a pledge that should be easily achievable, a pack of Grey Hunters and their Wolf Guard pack leader - 10 models in total.

I'm going to be using a black undercoat on them rather than my usual white, since they won't have any large areas of yellow like my Storm Dragons. I'm also going to be using my airbrush for basecoating them which will hopefully speed things up a bit. I won't be going for the GW baby blue colour either. I'll be using Codex grey as the base colour which will hopefully give them a darker, grittier feel, especially when coupled with battle damage on their armour. I'm going to be trying to use home made decals for the first time so their is the potential for that to go horribly wrong and slow me down I suppose. :tu:

One thing I'm not sure about is their bases. My Storm Dragons are on urban themed grey bases which I really like, but I don't think grey armour and grey bases will be a good combination. I'm thinking grass, mud and a generous covering of snow would look good (I know snowy bases and Space Wolves is so unoriginal ;)), any other suggestions as to what sort of bases would look good?

Anyway the pack are all built and ready for undercoating, which I may get done tonight as long as I can clear some space in the garage to do it. I'll take some pictures of them whether they get undercoated or not and post them up later anyway.

Thanks for reading.

I've decided to deviate from my usual way of painting for this pack. Normally I leave off the shoulder pads, back pack, head and bolter (if it's being held across their chest). This time I've decided to glue on their shoulder pads and back packs. The main reason is because I'm airbrushing the basecoat onto them, and them since their armour is predominantly a single colour they're a bit easier to paint than the Storm Dragons. :)

Anyway I've airbrushed on their first coat of grey although they need another coat as you can see in the picture below.

gallery_13078_4513_387382.jpg

I've almost got them the perfect colour to camouflage themselves against unpainted plastic :cuss

I've also run into my first problem. I've never really used the airbrush enough to bother getting a compressor, and you've guessed it - I need another can of compressed air, which I'm not going to be able to get until the weekend. :( Anyway if I'm going to be using the airbrush for a whole army I might look for a cheap compressor.

Oh and if you're wondering where their heads are they're on the ends of the cocktail sticks stuck into the lump of blu-tac in the top right corner on the picture.

• 2 weeks later...

OK Time to dust this thread off and prove that I am making some progress, albeit slowly :lol:.

gallery_13078_4513_23169.jpg

gallery_13078_4513_8372.jpg

They're not particularly good pictures but I think they are good enough to give a general idea of where I'm going with these guys. The grey is a bit darker in real life. The melta guy, bottom picture far left, has a left shoulder pad with raised trim along the top and I'm not sure whether to do it boltgun metal or gold. The rest of the metal trims on them will be gold, but I think he might look a bit too ornate for a ordinary grey hunter. Hopefully I'll get the boltgun metal finished off tonight and start on the gold and make decision then.

Any comment welcome as always... ^_^

Archived