Word Bearers Question

NuclearMessiah

Ok just a very generic question which is entirely up for debate.

Do you think if a Dark Apostle was raised to Daemon Prince status would he stay behind to lead his host or would he be replaced by a new Apostle?

I am thinking he would/could stay behind but I have not seen any instances of this happening in WB fluff.

I don't even know if there are many apostles who get raised to the Daemonprince status,

Since Erebus and Kor Phaeron are still 'normal' apostles..

Haven't seen it in the fluff yet, altough there should be Daemonprinces.

Maybe they have a special function they can fullfill on their daemonplanet.

It is possible that Erebus and Kor Phaeron just dont want to ascend. Some lords, such as Abaddon, are strong enough to resist ascension, and they do so by choice. It is possible that the reason why there are no DP Dark Apostles is because as soon as they ascend, they are replaced.

I think more or less the same. If you are made a prince then the small freedom csm have goes puff , you no longer fight for lorgar , nor the WB , you fight and do [otherwise your dead] what ever the power that made you a DP tells you to do. And as there is no chaos god of chaos undivided , you start following just one aspect of chaos and for WB thats heresy.

Well, there is this Apostle right here.

AngraMainyu

He ascended to a daemon prince, but remained with his Host. Draas the Red Pilgrim attempted to warn Angras to retreat and gather his forces, but Angra called him a coward and banished him from the Host. Later, Draas, one of Angra's 3 lieutenants, came back to find Angra a spawn. Draas assumed control of Angras legion.

Here's Draas DraastheRedPilgrim

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/3/39/Draas.jpg

Oh look, someone found a good use for the Abaddon model...

• 3 months later...

I think it is perfectly logical for a undivided Daemon Prince (If undivided obviously it's ok for Word Bearers). It is entirely possible to worship all the Dark Gods equally and after sufficient sacrifices and deeds done in the name of the Dark Gods (As a whole). He is elevated to deamonhood. And I doubt that a single god is absolutely needed to rise to that level. Again, Logar is a Daemon Primarch. Also on page 64 of the Codex: Chaos Space Marine (4th ed) It shows a picture of a Daemon Prince leading the Black Legion, who are by and large, undivided. And in the Chaos Codex (5th and 4th ed as far as I know) you are allowed to take a Daemon Prince with the mark of Chaos Undivided. (Or no mark depending on which Edition of the Codex.) Which would imply that a undivided Deamon Prince is allowable.

Edit: Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to make my stand clear, and my supporting evidence also clear.

I think it depends on the Apostle in question. Some of the more devout ones may see the ascension as a further step towards being closer to their god, and leave their war-host as a result, whereas others may stay with the host with the aim of further aiding their brother's worship as a manifestation of the will of Chaos. That's my opinion, anyway.

Of course the Word Bearers can have Daemon Princes. If any Legion deserves Daemon Princes it is the Word Bearers!

The Gods reward those who do their work and who are their most loyal servants. Who is more loyal than the WBs and who works harder to ensure the ultimate domination of Chaos?

Also i believe the Apostles are fairly likely to remane with their hosts after their transcendence to Daemon princedom. They would consider their work unfinished until every thing is either converted to Chaos or destroyed.

I also thought Kor'phaeron was a Daemon Prince?

The feeling I have is that it would most likely depend on that the Council thinks.

If they think that the Daemon Prince should continue to lead the Host in a dark crusade in the name of Chaos then so be it.

If they think that the Daemon Prince would be more useful on Sicarius or Ghalmek then so be it. The Daemon Prince will depart towards there after nominating a successor and the Council approving him.

Well, as said that how I see it anyway.

TDA

• 1 month later...
If they think that the Daemon Prince should continue to lead the Host in a dark crusade in the name of Chaos then so be it.

If they think that the Daemon Prince would be more useful on Sicarius or Ghalmek then so be it. The Daemon Prince will depart towards there after nominating a successor and the Council approving him.

Wouldn't this be sheer blasphemy? From what little there is on actual Word Bearer theology, I surmise they believe that daemons are a higher (and holier) order of life than Space Marines. You worship top-level daemons (which all Daemon Princes are), not order them about.

The WB have little respect for lesser daemons and of ten use them as cannon foder and meat shields.

They see themselves as the most loyal and important servants of the dark gods.

Greater daemons are respected but a powerful WB would still see himself as more important and valuable.

Having said that, the WB see it as a great honour to be possessed by a daemon because they believe it to be the ultimate sign of devotion.

Slightly conflicting views from different codex additions :P

I believe that the WB think them selves more valuable to the gods than most daemons are. They are the ultimate devoties and the daemons are simply tools of chaos, there to be used in the endless war.

Edit: Daemon princes are warriors of great devotion who have been gifted daemonic accention, so they would be worship as blessed warriors. Above greater daemons

Archived