LPC: Sons of the Adeptus Mechanicus

asmodai650

Ok, here is my first WIP update for my Sons of the Adeptus Mechanicus marine force. The terminators are currently soaking in simple green, so hopefully they'll be done this evening or tomorrow.

The Land Raider. The weapons are all removable, without the use of magnets. Side sponsons simply snap into place. To do this, cut away a small strip in the top of the sponsons that lines up with the sensor. Then, enlarge the mounting hole slightly on the bottom sponson mount. The sponson will fit snugly, and it can easily be removed to show damage or two convert to a crusaider or redeemer.

gallery_17525_4569_72979.jpg

The razorbacks and vindicator. The razorbacks twin linked assualt cannons are made from the ravenwing sprues, and mounted upside down. The vindicator was made a few years back by Shaun and his employees over at Blue Table Painting. I think he still has the original photos up on his site.

gallery_17525_4569_58847.jpg

gallery_17525_4569_73511.jpg

The drop pod. I got 6 of these way back when from Miniature scenery, when the only other option was Forgeworld. These will get weathering and a few more details.

gallery_17525_4569_10794.jpg

The 5 man TH/SS Terminators. These guys were part of my retro Ultrawing army, but have been added to this force to give it a much needed close combat element.

gallery_17525_4569_51025.jpg

Lestat, I use one for my dread (see below) and two more for my tactical squads. Their odd shape makes them perfect to go with my Mechanicus theme. I got them from here: Miniature Scenery Troop Lander.

Here's my first update. Other than little touch ups and some weathering, the vehicles are done. Maybe by the end of this challenge, I can figure out how to use my camera and not wash out everything ;) .

Land Raider with Chronus in top hatch:

gallery_17525_4569_77098.jpg

Land Raider with Chronus counts-as:

gallery_17525_4569_4899.jpg

Vindicator:

gallery_17525_4569_5876.jpg

gallery_17525_4569_17196.jpg

Razorbacks:

gallery_17525_4569_73212.jpg

gallery_17525_4569_81872.jpg

gallery_17525_4569_44597.jpg

Terminators after a few hours in Simple Green. still need to sit over night to finish drying before I can start painting.

gallery_17525_4569_32130.jpg

Not a part of my LPC vow, but here is a better shot of my Chronus counts-as and my Ironclad / Venerable / Standard Dreadnought:

Chronus:

gallery_17525_4569_98571.jpg

Dreadnought:

gallery_17525_4569_3246.jpg

Many thanks for the link - might have to see about getting a couple as they come out at about £15 each. Not Bad.

Your army is looking great. Love the theme behind it. Are they an Iron Hands successor or just closely linked with the Mechanicus?

The glowing eyes on Chronus look great. How did you do it - trying to get a similar effect in red on my LoTD models.

The main theme for the army is that the Mechanicus maintains a small "recovery" force made up of marines training to be techmarines. That's the short and quick story!

I wish the eyes showed up better. here is a lot more glow effect in real life. The technique how ever is really simple, which is great considering how badly I would normally paint eyes. Use a small flat brush (5mm across or smaller), and apply your darkest color to the eye lenses area. Just make sure to cover the entire eye area and a little out side of it. Then dry brush a light shade of the base color around the lenses, leaving the middle darker. Last, add white to the lighter color and dry brush the edges. I'll see if I can get a better photo posted tonight.

Here is a photo of my counts as Vulcan (left) and Master of the Forge with Conversion Beamer (right). You can kinda see the lighting on the conversion beamer and the back pack, but i'll try to get a better photo tonight. Also, for my lighter color I chose a light green to go with the medium blue base color.

gallery_17525_4295_1091494.jpg

Thanks for the tip! The conversions are looking great.

The fluff sounds great. It makes sense that the Mechanicus would train the Techmarines and make use of them at the same time - kind of like the Deathwatch in a way.

Archived