Sons of Russ

Pig Of Sparta

Greetings Brothers! It's been a while since I posted anything in this forum, so I thought I'd begin a thread for my Space Wolves army. I'll be adding to it as and when I complete other units. For the time being though here's the first pack (almost) finished, bar basing and decals, I've decided on their pack marking but can't decide on which great company their from yet.

Hrothgar's Long Fangs pack:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Space%20Wolves%20Army/LongFangsfront.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Space%20Wolves%20Army/LongFangsback.jpg

I'm planning on saving up some cash over the next few months and getting some resin scenic bases for everything in the army, but that's a way off yet so they'll stay on plain bases just now.

More to follow,

James

incidentally, here's the list I'm painting to, so you can see what I'm workin at. I'm aiming to have all the big stuff; the dread, dropods and raider finished by the 8th of march, because I'm a way on a week long training course then so I'm taking all the infantry and my paints away, I should be able to get a good 5-6 hours painting in every evening ^_^

Hi guys, thanks for the comments. Dejay, good to see you again :o

@ Night Runner: the recipie for baking these wolves is quite simple;

undercoat Chaos Black

Basecoat Shadow Grey

light drybrush of Space Wolves Grey

wash whole mini with Badab Black

drybrush downwards with Space Wolves Grey

lighter drybrush downwards with Skull White

wash recesess with watered down Dark Flesh

wash 'inside' the previous wash with watered down Scorched Brown

wash the whole mini with watered down Scorched Brown

hey presto some power armour that actually looks like it's being used to do what it's supposed to :), then you just add details as you see fit. I based my colours and method on Kapturowski's for painting 13th company space wolves, so I'd like to acknowledge him as the originator of this method. I'd recommend checking out his Wolves too:Kapturowskis 13th Company

I'm going to try using some glazes to colour the pack markings when I do my Grey Hunters and Wolf Guard, once I figure them out I might post up a proper tutorial.

cheers

James

They look great. I think i'll be considering when i start my wolves down the line that i'll be replicating the scheme you use. As you said they look like they have seen some action which gives them that added bonus to the model.

its a really nice look and it works, but after the paintjob you did for the golden bolter i sort of expected alot more from these... Im assuming these are more of a speed paint army to get them on the table than to show off your skills?

either way they look good, just not as good as i was hoping :P

Hi guys, thanks for the comments. Dejay, good to see you again :P

@ Night Runner: the recipie for baking these wolves is quite simple;

undercoat Chaos Black

Basecoat Shadow Grey

light drybrush of Space Wolves Grey

wash whole mini with Badab Black

drybrush downwards with Space Wolves Grey

lighter drybrush downwards with Skull White

wash recesess with watered down Dark Flesh

wash 'inside' the previous wash with watered down Scorched Brown

wash the whole mini with watered down Scorched Brown

hey presto some power armour that actually looks like it's being used to do what it's supposed to :), then you just add details as you see fit. I based my colours and method on Kapturowski's for painting 13th company space wolves, so I'd like to acknowledge him as the originator of this method. I'd recommend checking out his Wolves too:Kapturowskis 13th Company

I'm going to try using some glazes to colour the pack markings when I do my Grey Hunters and Wolf Guard, once I figure them out I might post up a proper tutorial.

cheers

James

Thanks for that. I'm going to have to try the washes out. The effect is excellent and yet simply done. Brilliant ;).

I'd advise picking up the 40k basing kit from GW. I've got twenty-six bases in my army and I think there is enough stuff left over to do another ten.

There's four 40mm base covers and four of the regular size. The rest of it is small pieces that can be added to you bases to accent them. There is a guy at my LGS who has his entire SW army on scenic resin bases and it's completely over the top IMHO.

@ Kable: I'll look forward to seeing how your future Wolves come out, it's always good to see someone else's take on something you've done... I really liked the look because it sort of looks like how Astartes armour always does in GW artwork, pitted and scarred from being used. Nice and clean power armour is all well and good, but sometimes you want it to look like the wearer is/has actually been fighting the enemies of mankind :D

@ stinkenheim: sorry to disappoint you mate. They're a sort of half way between showing off and speed painting. I'll be lavishing a bit more affection on my IC's but I really want to be able to show up for a game at my local club and have an entire painted army on the table. I'm gonna keep going with higher quality painting though, I've got two or three projects in the works just now.... once I get these wolves finished (hopefully not too far in the future) I'll start working on them properly.

@ Night Runner: I forgot to say when I was typing that mini tut, you want to water down the 'washes' so that you can pretty much see your pallette through them, I guess they're more like glazes than washes really, but I don't think the name makes all that much difference. Kapturowski recommended a paint to water ratio of around 1:9 but it's really up to you how far you dilute it. I kinda do mine by eye now, but a little experimentation should get you on the right trak. I look forward to seeing what you do with it :D

@Emperor's Instrument: IU actually bought one a couple of years ago and was kinda disappointed with it, but I use a few bits from it every now and then. To date I think my biggest use for it was the base for my Golden Bolter entry. I can see what you're saying though. The reason I was gonna go for scenic base was that it saved me having to bother too much with texturing the bases (I really suck at basing) and I've glued all my mini's to their bases and they're all undercoated now, so I don't really wnat to have to try and paint their bases around them. What I might do is get hold of some blank bases, texture them and then transfer the painted mini's to the completed bases. It's a whole heap of effort, but it's probably cheaper and more effective than 40 odd bits of resin....

James

hey you didnt disapoint, you chose space wolves after all :lol: you just kinda suprised me really, i realsie not every model/army can be painted ridiculously well, hell i only try and paint my wolves well because i already have 3 speed painted armies (nids, IG and wood elves) so i figured it was about time i put effort into something other than an ebay biund model ;)

looking forward to seeing these finished as it will be a great looking army... i really need to work on m wolves, after 18months only have 3 painted is begining to get bit tiresome...

@ stinkenheim: That's ok then :). I was really happy when I worked out this 'speed painting' method for effective looking Wolves armour because it meant I'd probably actually get all the mini's in the army painted rather than not finishing some of them as is the case with my Sons of Orar (who, incidentally might get a revamping in future).

I applaud and salute your decision to paint every mini to the best of your ability. If I had the time I'd do the same, but it's probably take me far to long to do that with a whole army and I'd end up losing interest. 18 months and only 3 mini's is terrible :nuke: but the last mini you posted was incredible so it's ok....

I've got more photos this morning, I managed to finish Brother Liulfr to the same point as the Long fangs, just basing and decals to go :devil:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Space%20Wolves%20Army/SWDreadnoughtfront.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Space%20Wolves%20Army/SWDreadnoughtleft.jpg

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Space%20Wolves%20Army/SWDreadnoughtback.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Space%20Wolves%20Army/SWDreadnoughtright.jpg

I really wish I'd spent more time sorting out that accursed assault cannon's barrel when I first built this mini! (this is a paint stripped and repainted mini that I bought about 4 years ago)

any way, more to come

thanks

James

Thanks Night Runner, I toyed with using a wolf pelt as a loin cloth, but in the end the shield won out, and I'm pleased it did, I don't think a wolf pelt would have worked as well :).

With a little luck my Drop Pods and thrown together objective marker (pics up soon) look just as good....

James

Double post I'm afraid, but I got the Drop Pods finished tonight (bar decals, I still can't decide on which Great Company to go for). I might add some scorching to the bottom of each 'Pod and even entertained the idea of adding some harsh edge highlighting with reddy orange to make it look like they've only just landed.

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Space%20Wolves%20Army/DropPods.jpg

I know I'll probably take some stick for this but the hatches are all glued shut. This may seem like a bit of a waste of what is a very detailed kit, but as I've said before, I want to get this army done quickly so rather that spend time on the interiors I decided to just ignore them in favour of getting them finished.

You'll notice in the photo that the 'Pods are slightly different shades of grey, that's because one was undercoated white a while ago, while the other was done with black. I didn't think the white would take another layer of undercoat very well so I just went for it. Lesson learned; if you want a dark looking finshed product, don't think a white undercoat will neccesarily let you achieve it :HQ:

James

Followed your GB Blood Angels mini WIP pretty closely, loving your work. Although Space Wolves have to be my least favourite chapter [fluff is poor imo, space vikings are pretty unimaginative] the fact that you are aiming to get a whole army painted up is admirable. Personally I quite like clean and cartoony looking models and prefer baby blue wolves [i guess that's why I painted my chaos marines pink] but the effect you are achieving for not a lot of time is very impressive. Especially like the lens on the dreadnought but my favourite parts, for some reason, are the rocket tips. They look so realistic. Looking forward to more minis.

Thanks tyrannosaurus, it's always nice to have folk take an interest... Speaking of which I actually quite like your pink Slaaneshi marines :)

New photos tonight of the objective marker I was waffling about in an earlier post. If I'd spent a bit more time on it I think it could've looked a lot better, but I'm mostly happy with how it's come out, especially for something thrown together from bits I had to hand.... except for that wrongly angled foot. Maybe the servos in his boot have been damaged!

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Space%20Wolves%20Army/ObjectiveMarker12.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Space%20Wolves%20Army/ObjectiveMarker13.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Space%20Wolves%20Army/ObjectiveMarker14.jpg

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Space%20Wolves%20Army/ObjectiveMarker11.jpg

This mini was also a test bed for adding colour to the shoulder pads, I'm not entirely convinced if it looks that great, so if anyone has any comments or criticism I'd be very greatful as it'll assist me when I come to do my Grey Hunters and Wolf Guard. Oh, and before I forget, I haven't picked Ragnar's company for my army, I know from experience how annoying the decals for his company are to put on shoulder pads. I only used these ones cause they were lying around doing nothing :)

Thanks

James

hey, speed-painted or not, I'm digging the rough look. I can completely understand about cringing inwardly at the thought of personally playing an unpainted army. I dont' mind playing against them, but there's nothing like bringing a completely done army and playing with or against them.

Seriously loving the Objective Marker!! I'm going to yoink that one myself too if ya doing mind! I followed your Sons of Orar and love these too!

Hey Pig, nice work so far. I am really liking your aged/abused armor look. Anyway just a quick thought about your objective marker, since you are not to happy with his foot, why dont you just cut it off and make it another bloody stump. think about it, most marine fluff has them suffering horrendious wounds and still marching on in to the enemy, so why would a lost hand and a couple of sucking chest wounds leave him stranded laying on the ground?.... but if he didnt have a foot.. makes it pretty hard to stand up on a bloody stump of an ankle. just my two cents. Keep up the good work.

I like the idea with what you are going with on the red shoulder pad. That coloring makes the shoulder pad look as if the pad was not just slapped on with some red paint to signify a pack, but as if the armor itself was "steeled" that way to go to that pack. Like it is red ceramite, not red paint.

Nico has a good point. Two hearts and quick coagulating blood would easily shrug off a sucking chest wound. Cut that foot off and we are talking more of a casualty.

• 5 months later...

I've resurrected this thread to show off my completed Call of the Imperium IV mini's:

3 Wolf Guard to be split and used as pack leaders for two of my Grey Hunters units:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Space%20Wolves%20Army/WolfGuard1.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Space%20Wolves%20Army/WolfGuard2-1.jpghttp://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Space%20Wolves%20Army/WolfGuard3.jpg

and

My Forge Lord (counts as Wolf Lord) who leads my third pack of Grey Hunters from his personal Land Raider:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Space%20Wolves%20Army/ForgeLord1.jpg

As I still haven't decided what markings to use to represent their 'company' I've left their shoulders blank for just now.

any comments or criticism is appreciated,

thanks

James

Archived