Bix's Blood Drinkers

Bix

Having posted a fair few pics in Brother Kalsir's Drinkers Log and now having taken the LPC vow. I decided it was time to have a home of my own for all my mad musings and painting efforts. So over the coming weeks/months hopefully I'll be furnishing this thread firstly with an LPC WIP log and then the gradual growth of my Chapters forces and the associated fluff.

Welcome to the Legio X ~ II Blood Drinkers 'Forget Nothing, Forgive No One'

Good to see you have your own blog now, I'm looking forward to seeing the scouts named after mine.

"Forget everything, charge!" ;) Sorry, that just popped up in my head.

So here's the first few pics of my LPC Scout Squad I've made some good progress over the last two days, though I keep forgetting to stop and take pics ;) lets hope I can keep this pace up and I can go above and beyond what I vowed. BA's for da win :blink:

gallery_42790_4587_497824.jpg

gallery_42790_4587_361734.jpg

gallery_42790_4587_31112.jpg

gallery_42790_4587_223890.jpg

One down four to go.

Yay, drilled out bullet holes ;) And I like that guys face, it looks good.

The only thing is that they seem to be a bit colourfull to do infiltrating and stuff like that :blink:

Heavy bolters aren't the most delicate weapons anyway so it doesn't really matter, they just rip everything that might notice them apart.

Cheers Quantra :D , yes very much 'old skool', with some of the mini's to match. Im a bit long in the fang for new tricks, though I dare say the more I get back into the swing of things the more likely I'll try a few new techniques. Already followed Kalsir's suggestion to drill out the barrels :tu: , that was shear laziness on my part. Right...back to the brushes.

Drilled barrels add a huge effect. I traditionally decry such nit-picky stuff, but seeing it more and more may force me to rethink my traditional virtue of "just painting it black."

Very nice to see old school models; vindicates my choice to use some older stuff for my BA update. That said, I'm not a huge fan of the greens you're using here, but to each his own. I can't really argue with the results!

Yay, drilled out bullet holes :P And I like that guys face, it looks good.

The only thing is that they seem to be a bit colourfull to do infiltrating and stuff like that :P

Heavy bolters aren't the most delicate weapons anyway so it doesn't really matter, they just rip everything that might notice them apart.

Did no-one else see the latest Commissariat Propagander? It clearly states that ALL Xenos are colourblind. Therefore it does not matter how brightly coloured your armour is, they can't see you ;)

Anyway, nice models. I'm another fan of the old skool. I remember when every Blood Angel ever seen was ORANGE! Seeing these Scouts takes me back to those fond memories. I think the green works really well - I might have to borrow that idea.

there is no such thing as chaos, there is only the emperor <_<

any and all that state otherwise will be condemned as heretics and put to the sword/stake/pointystick/other end of a bolter round.

now that we got that out of the way :lol: nice looking scout brother, how did you do the eyes? he looks awesome :devil: im always afraid to attempt them... (eyes)

Chaos Marines aren't colourblind, or are they?

I do believe that Chaos Marines are not, in fact, Xenos. Recent studies have indicated that they were once human (if not at time of turning traitor) and if it wasn't for the fact that the majority now sport mutations, they would still be classed as broadly human <_<

Any chance of telling us your red recipe? It would be interesting to know and try out a couple of different recipes ready for April.

looking good, yes also i would like to know after the red do you just paint the other colours straight on or paint the areas black first

Thanks for all the comments and queries. ;) Progress slowed a little these last few days, but I've finally got my SG scout done. He didn't go as smoothly as the last for some reason, but I've reached the point where you have to say ok enough dabbling, put him down and move on.

My thoughts on camouflage are that in the 41st Mil we've got conversion fields to displacer fields, we've got fields that'll even disguise a Marine and make him look normal size. Im sure some Adept somewhere has come up with a field that'll bend light ala Predator (purge the Xeno scum). Even if we're not sure how it does it now and have to strike the correct runes and invoke the machine God to make it work ;)

Besides loyal sons of Sanguinus should be proud of their colours and bleed on them before they let them fade. ^_^

Demoulius: the eyes are done by painting the whole socket black, then once the face is complete (base/ washes/ highlights etc) I go back to the eyes with an insane detail brush from 'The Army Painter' Wargamer range and do either side of where I want the pupils in white. I dislike doing them and as my wife will attest there is much cursing comes from the paint room when Im working on them.

Lestat: my red recipe is as follows, Army Painter Pure Red Colour Primer (before that I use the old Citadel Red Primer but GW don't make it anymore) then the armour is base coated with GW paints Blood Red, washed with Chestnut Ink, then another coat of Blood Red. Then approx a 1/1 mix of Blood Red and Blazing Orange followed with highlights of Blazing Orange. If it looks a bit raw then a quick wash with a very watered down Blood Red will help blend. But I usually don't need the last wash. Its fairly basic but works for army pieces.

Beef: The webbing and weapons etc are painted black after the red is based and washed. I it works well as a foundation for both the green and metallic’s and helps guide me round the figure. The tunic and face I crack straight on with the browns and flesh colours.

So here's the latest Scout with his 'I like to keep this handy' noob stick ;)

gallery_42790_4587_139815.jpg

gallery_42790_4587_187242.jpg

Lestat: my red recipe is as follows, Army Painter Pure Red Colour Primer (before that I use the old Citadel Red Primer but GW don't make it anymore) then the armour is base coated with GW paints Blood Red, washed with Chestnut Ink, then another coat of Blood Red. Then approx a 1/1 mix of Blood Red and Blazing Orange followed with highlights of Blazing Orange. If it looks a bit raw then a quick wash with a very watered down Blood Red will help blend. But I usually don't need the last wash. Its fairly basic but works for army pieces.

So here's the latest Scout with his 'I like to keep this handy' noob stick :)

gallery_42790_4587_139815.jpg

gallery_42790_4587_187242.jpg

Thanks for the recipe. It's pretty similar to what I use apart from the wash. I use a 2:1 mix of Baal Red and Leviathan Purple. Although this does darken the red/orange mix up a lot, you still get an orange tinge to the red.

• 1 month later...

Tempus Fugit....

Sorry for the lack a WIP updates but there have been precious few hours to paint these last weeks and so I've been using every spare moment to wield the brushes and complete my vow.

And complete it I have... like all good Marines , just in the nick of time. :)

So may I present Squad Pugio, Cohors X 'Venati' (nods to Kalsir) of the Blood Drinkers Chapter. Im very pleased how they turned out.

gallery_42790_4587_398034.jpg

Cheers all, your responses kind of sum me up 'old and unconventional' ^_^

Glad I could get them done in time to count for the BA's in the LPC. Be good if we could win on the eve of our new codex :P

I've got a Dred up on the blocks next. In my army I call them The Imortals. But Im debating whether to wait until my codex lands on the doormat just in case I decide to change its load out.

Im also holding off on posting up my BD fluff just incase the new codex forces some tweaks.

• 2 weeks later...

Woot well the Blood Angels and their Successors won the day with the LPC well done one and all. :D

Sadly despite having got the new codex, I haven't had a chance to put brush to mini again yet. So the Dredd still slumbers, maybe next week.

But I do have the first instalment of my long promised fluff for my Blood Drinkers, please note that although I weave in as much cannon stuff as I can (before GW ups and changes it on a whim ^_^ ) this is all just my take on the Chapter and as such is meant as a curio to others and nothing more. Take it or leave it, I just hope you enjoy it.

As always comments and critique welcome.

:tu:

Archived