Eripu's Black Legion Log

Eripu

Well, after being off and on from 40k for a number of years now, I'm finally living in an area where there are multiple groups that play regularly. Thus, it is time for me to get off my ass and get a playable army together!

Having followed Chaos since 3rd edition (they have always been my favorite army), I wasn't particularly happy with the newest codex. IMO, took most of the flavor out of the legions and turned them all into Black Legion. Luckily, I like Black Legion. It's relatively easy to paint, can take anything out of the codex without fluff problems, and a completed army looks EVIL on the tabletop! ^_^

So, I put together a 1000pt army list utilizing my favorite components (namely, variety and TROOPS! 5th ed scoring rules and the Chaos dex are like my dream... tons of troops!)

Demon Prince, Wings

10 CSM, IoCG, Champ + Fist, in a Rhino

8 Berzerkers, Champ + Fist, in a Rhino

7 Plague Marines, 2 Plasma Rifles, in a Rhino

2 Obliterators

I already have the CSM's, Berzerkers and a Rhino. The rest I'm going to try to build as cheaply as possible, probably buying (stripping, converting, and repainting) used mini's off of ebay, as my budget doesn't really allow for a whole lot more.

I entered my 10 strong CSM squad into the LPC, hoping that the deadline will light a fire under me and help me get them finished.

I'm painting them in two five-model batches (hopefully finishing the first by the end of Feb, and then the second by the end of March...), and here is the progress on the first one so far:

Assembled and primed (I use dark grey Duplicolor...) a few days after I entered:

gallery_44376_4601_444758.jpg

Base colors a few days later:

gallery_44376_4601_39857.jpg

And their current status, still pre-highlights but starting the "details" :

gallery_44376_4601_271904.jpg

gallery_44376_4601_637538.jpg

Roughly 1/2 way done I would say... Maybe a little shy of that.

C&C are always welcome and appreciated, and I know my photo's suck but believe it or not they are a massive improvement over my previous attempts!

Small little "update." Ebay is awesome. My build an army cheaply is going to plan. Mail came today, with 2! packages. The first contained 6 chaos termies, 1 painted and 5 primed black. Not particularly descriptive auction, and the picture was decent, but with the flat black armarments were almost impossible to make out. Well, 3 combi-meltas, 2 combi-flamers, 3 PW's, 1 chainfist, 2 power fists. Perfect. After some gentle experimentation the discovery that they are glued together only with plastic glue, not super glue. Even better. 1 termicide (4, 3 meltas + heavy flamer), and 2 bodies to use to convert oblits...

Next, we have 1 demon prince. He's not pinned together (one of the arms fell off in transit) so I can reposition him easily if I want. He will definitely be converted to some extent (probably a sculpted helm, definitely wings because I already have the WFB dragon wings, and probably some massively oversized axe made out of card to replace his sword...). He's already stewing in a simple green bath. I'm excited to get to work converting him!

So, 6 terminators with an almost perfect weapons layout, and a demon prince. All for less than $50. Not bad at all...

gallery_44376_4601_215171.jpg

Updates!

gallery_44376_4601_2068868.jpg

The first half of my LPC vow is nearing completion (and only slightly behind schedule too)! These guys are pretty close to being done (to finish: final black highlight, the icon, basing). The picture washes out the first layer of highlights on the black, but I'm going to go through and put another highlight on top of it to make it stand out a bit more regardless of the poor photography. Tabletop quality and no more, but I'm pretty happy with them.

In other news, photography continues to frustrate the hell out of me. I can't seem to get lighting to work whatsoever, no matter how I try... Oh well. I'll keep playing with it I suppose. Time to hit up some tutorials if I ever get some free time...

-Eripu

My world has been turned upside down... two updates in 24 hours! My calendar miraculously cleared itself tonight, which allowed me to finish my first 5 CSM for the LPC and play around in Picasa to fix my crappy indoor lighting that was turning my pictures yellow. So, not only did I finish painting, I actually have pictures that come close to doing the models justice. They aren't Golden Daemon by any means, but I'm quite pleased with how they turned out.

Squad Shot:

gallery_44376_4601_623451.jpg

Asp Champ Front/Back

gallery_44376_4601_929712.jpg

gallery_44376_4601_768689.jpg

Perhaps finished models will break my 400 view no response streak... lol...

C&C welcome, and enjoy

-Eripu

Having followed Chaos since 3rd edition (they have always been my favorite army), I wasn't particularly happy with the newest codex. IMO, took most of the flavor out of the legions and turned them all into Black Legion. Luckily, I like Black Legion. It's relatively easy to paint, can take anything out of the codex without fluff problems, and a completed army looks EVIL on the tabletop!

Totally agree with that. And Finally some Black Legion! <_< They look really good Eripu! I myself have recently just started a Black Legion warband and was perusing the boards hoping i could find some legion morsels.

Looking forward to more.

Cheers.

Looking good. I like in particular the banner and the face on the backpack. Looks like you're well on course to make the LPC vow!

Only thing I could say might help is a slightly brighter colour somewhere on the model - I know they're black legion and it may be the photographs but at the moment I don't think there's enough to draw the eye to specific regions of the models to show off your nice painting.

Keep it going!

The photos are pretty dark. After some more experimentation in Picasa (never used it before, but it is quite nice) I got them lightened up a bit and they look a bit better. I probably won't put them up, I'll just remember to lighten up my upcoming pictures.

But regardless, I do agree with the scheme being very dark overall. I think I'll paint bolter/bolt pistol/chainsword housings red from now on, just to break up the black everywhere a little bit.

Very nice mate. Considering they're one of the largest traitor legions you don't see many fielded on the table top. If I were to add something it would be to lighten up the skulls on the Champion which might brighten the whole look of the squad. But looking good sir.

Quick update: WIP for the 2nd half of the squad. Painting up instead of 5 because my IoCG doesn't fit in my 1000 pt army, so I need an extra model...

gallery_44376_4601_432024.jpg

gallery_44376_4601_493852.jpg

Need some more highlights and some arms... but other than that they are getting close! These are to be bolter/special weapons armed, which is why they are being painted without their arms atm. As soon as I finish the bodies I'll glue the arms/shoulder pads on and paint them up, and then finally the weapons.

Question: As soon as I finish these guys, I'm moving on to my Berzerkers. I want them to look like they have thousands of years of blood on their armor... As such I'm thinking about painting their armor sort of a codex gray (or maybe 1:1 codex gray:chaos black) type of color and then drenching them in red, black, sepia, and ogryn flesh washes. Do you think I can get it dark enough to look like bloodstained black armor? I don't think it would work to wash red over black, it would never show up... Any other ideas of how to achieve a blood drenched look with the black legion color scheme?

A possibility would be to paint them as luna wolves/sons of horus, since they are zerkers they just didn't care enough to repaint their armor. Instead, they just let the blood do it for them...

I guess that is pretty close to option 1 anyway. Oh well. What do you all think? Once I'm done with this squad I'll put up some test mini's and see what I like best.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I like the 2nd idea. Paint them up as Sons of Horus and drench them in washes to represent 10,000 years worth of bloodshed. I think that would be pretty cool, and not something I've seen done before. Besides, off the top of my head I know of at least one specific example of followers of Khorne not repainting their armor (the Honsou short story in Heroes of the Space Marines).

Damn it now I want to paint up a test mini instead of finishing these guys off...

Well, last Thursday my final part of my 1000pt army arrived in the mail (1 box of Plague Marines and 2 Rhino's), so that gives me a Zerker squad, a Plague Marine Squad, 3 Rhino's and a Demon prince to start and finish, and then I'll have a painted 1000pt army! At this rate that should only take me untill... November to finish! Oh well...

Here is an update of my current projects (the remainder of my LPC vow in the CSM, the start of a Rhino (primed and getting a basecoat) and my WIP conversion on my Prince).

gallery_44376_4601_656414.jpg

To finish my LPC vow all I have left to do is highlight the arms and then paint their weapons and I am done! I should *hopefully* finish before the deadline.

But, I need opinions on my Prince. He is still very much a WIP conversion, but what I really need help with are the dreadlocks. After seeing the picture of the Bloodthirster with dreadlocks I thought it would be cool to greenstuff some onto my prince (part of the reason being that I have always wanted dreadlocks but never been able to take the plunge and do it...). This is pretty much my first attempt at using greenstuff for anything other than gap filling, so it was an interesting experience. I think they look like dreadlocks, but in the end I'm not exactly sure that they are what I want. I'm thinking about redoing them, probably making them longer and having them go backwards more instead of down around his head, similar to this: Dezartfox's Bloodthirster (and Dezartfox, if you see this I hope you don't mind me borrowing your idea...). But, because the Prince model is much more static than that Thirster model, I'm not sure that it would look right.

Oh well, here are pics of my prince as he stands right now (sorry about the bad quality, I tried my best!). I could really use any opinions, help, or ideas...

gallery_44376_4601_420876.jpg

gallery_44376_4601_1425765.jpg

Lol, the dreads look cool.

Hey, it's chaos, everything is possible! ;) Perhaps the dreads are alive and lash out at foes around him, grab them and choke them, tear them apart, gouge out their eyeballs...

Funny thought though... I guess I have to maintain distance to people with dreads now ^^

LPC VOW COMPLETED!

It took me exactly one month to finish too. That's not too bad, for me.

gallery_44376_4601_1267022.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the way they all turned out, especially being the first squad for my army they are a good foundation to build upon.

Now, should I go to Zerkers, Plague Marines, or Rhino's... hmmmm...

How do you all paint your armies? Do you paint all the infantry first and come back and paint the tanks later? Do you alternate? How do you keep yourself interested but still making progress instead of wasting time jumping from project to project?

I'm a bit afraid of painting a tank, as I have never completed one before. Even with very diluted paint I'm getting brush marks on my rhino basecoat that might be thick enough to show through multiple coats, which is quite disappointing. Any suggestions?

Archived