Scratch-built Thunderfire Cannon

Talhydras

Definitely treads, because I imagine that the cannon may get stuck in difficult terrain if on wheels :tu:

Of course, you may copy my idea. The biggest part of the cannon is basically made of a couple of standard Land Raider sponsons, alongside with Imperial Guard tank accesoirs and the sensors on the interior plate of a rhino...

I got myself some plasticard, wooden dowels and a lot of treads to make the lower "tank"-part... I'll post pics when I make progress. I want to make sure it corresponds with the rest of the SM tanks, so I think it will be very angular and kind of bully, yet practical...

But for now, thanks for your comments!

Update:

After a lot of sawing and filing... I still managed to glue one of the tank-armour plates the wrong way round -.- nah, whatever...

The lower tank-part is done, now I need to fill in the gaps and add insignia, additional armour and other stuff...

I put the model together for the photo, so please don't wonder about the top armour plate looking a little saggy...

Techmarine is ordered.

What do you think?

http://666kb.com/i/bgtxwau8a43k9yuqr.jpg

I've ordered this techmarine and I think of removing the top left claw, place the flamer there and add some bitz to represent another salvo in the bottom left servo-arm... and I'll replace the axe with a bolt pistol.

I've filled up the gaps and need to wait for them to dry before I can file everything down... I'll post pics once I'm finished, thanks for you comments so far!

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1240830_99060101313_Col40kTechmarineMain_873x627.jpg

Well, there's really not much of a tutorial...

as regards the gun itself, the main part are a pair of standard Land Raider sponsons, which I had left because I bought myself the Crusader update sprue.

I removed the muzzle on each Lascannon and removed the lower part at 2 of them exactly where the red line is.

I glue the front part of a SM hunter-killer-missile in the position where the muzzle was and then I glue 2 pairs of cannons together... that's pretty much it.

http://666kb.com/i/bgua4se26om9ok00z.jpg

The framework that carries the cannons are the Land Raider sponson frameworks cut and glued together on a round plate (borrowed from the heavy bolter installation at the front of a land raider)

you can see on the picture where I cut them.

I used pins on the framework and holes in the cannons to make sure that they are in the same position...

http://666kb.com/i/bgua5e6uttsf2dhr7.jpg

the top armour plate are the casings of the Land Raider sponsons glued together carefully (so that they make an even line), where I added the instruments at the back of the plate. The instruments are from the interior part of a rhino, which, I am sure, everyone has going spare.

http://666kb.com/i/bgua5wq5ydvj9oilf.jpg

All the holes are filled with GS (where I am now) and later filed down to an even surface...

As to the tank part oder any additional sensore, you have the choice to use treads, dreadnought legs or wheels. I cut my idea from plasticard and covered it with treads from the imperial guard sprue. (Make sure to measure the length of the treads and arrange them in the order you wish before you cut anything or there will be huge gaps!)

That's as much tutorial as I can give you, if you have any more questions just ask them...

That Thunderfire cannon is looking great! I was looking for some inspiration to create one since I don't really like the model that is available and look what I find, awesome work! I'll have to go through my bitz and see I can cobble together something similar. :)

For the lazier & less talented my solution:

tn_gallery_40651_3480_486483.jpg

Aegis defence cannon, Airfix kit.

(When I took this picture I had no TM, and hadn't added the rubber tracks)

Yours is better!

I think the GW one is ugly and clunky: If it launched shells that big the recoil would send it off the table! I envisage the three detonation modes as being dependant on the payload ignition point, requiring Techmarine understanding and precision; smart shells need not be huge.

And I also hope someone tries and posts a walking Thunderfire. Defiler legs?

Love it! Way better than the metal model (which is also the worst kit I've ever tried to put together!).

The only thing I would say is move the gun forward a bit on the base. At the moment it looks very back-heavy and if it were going up hill it might fall over. Especially with recoil. Just a minor thing though. Keep up the good work!

@ Paladin:

Perhaps simply think of it as a muzzleloader?

@ Black Watch:

Yeah, you're right... maybe I try to add something like stabilizers like on the original model... I have a pair of dreadnought feet in my bitzbox...hmm ;)

Thanks for your comments!

I know, double post...

I'm finally finished!

I built a stabilizing feet at the back of the tank part and filed everything down... there are little gaps in the cannon itself, which I am going to file, too...

I wonder if I should base this model or not... normally I base everything except for tank models, but I'll need something like a Trygon base or at least a large square base to convert something...

Still waiting for the Techmarine -.-

In the first game the cannon was totally worth its points, killing almost 200 points worth of Gaunts and Tyranid Warriors... ;)

http://666kb.com/i/bgyxb4mjxfxa73xsd.jpg

Archived