Techmarine Dreadnought

pueriexdeus

Digging around in this forum looking for some inspiration. In the + AMICUS AEDES + forum there is a thread running Techmarine Dreadnought

As an idea I have, and many others, been playing with. I'm looking for some input form those that might have a better idea of how to pull this off.

Any feedback on converting would be appreciated.

Thanks

I, too, was following Alexander Fogh Pedersen's thread but since it has gone off on a tangent ....

This conversion idea interests me as I have several ideas for other dread conversions going through my head and/or written on paper.

As for ideas on how to pull it off, I would think using the techmarine with servo-harness as the basis for techmarine portion would be the place to start. However, you would need to upscale some parts so for the plasma cutter, use plasma guns (count as plasma cannon) and heavy flamer (not flamestorm cannon) as the torch. Have them in place of the standard dread arms. The servo arms could be mounted on the back or top of the torso. The forgeworld sentinel powerlifter arms (or something like them) would work well (but are not available as separate items).

The ironclad dread would be a good platform since it has the banded look to its' torso that is common to many techmarine's power armour. Also the seismic hammer could be adapted as some sort of servo-arm.

The techmarine dread could count as an ironclad or siege dread.

Just a few thoughts I came up with as I was writing. So let's go from there.

Just finished a little experiment today that turned out really well. I had the power axe from the techpriest ( with the blade shaped like a cog, and half a skull ). I did a mold of it bu simply slapping a blob of greenstuff over one side, then once hardend filling it with GS again ( 75-25 yellow-blue for the filling ).

And it came out pretty much a perfect mold. So now I know that I will have some details to put on where I want them at least!.

This could probably be done with other symbols, to give a litte more depth to the model.

Cheers!

Did a little thinking (and not a little note jotting) on this over the weekend and figured a Techmarine dread should have two CCWs (like Furiouso) to represent the servo arms. Don't think three (one standard one plus two servo-harness) would go over well with anyone (especially Blood Angels and successor chapters). The arms could be converted to appear more like servo-arms with more range of motion.

Since it is larger and has power to spare, the plasma cutter could be twin-linked plasma guns (jnstead of pistols) particularly since it would not have to worry about 'Gets Hot!'. And, of course, the torch would be a heavy flamer. These, naturally, would be mounted on servos from back, torso top, shoulders, arms, whatever.

Since a techmarine with servo-harness gets a bolter standard and can substitute various other weapons (inc combi-melta), the CCWs could be armed as per Furioso (storm-bolter and meltagun but no swapping options). Could also substitute conversion beamer for one of the arms.

Just some thoughts. However, by using an existing model (and stats to some degree), it would make it easier to convert (and possibly come up with DIY rules). More food for thought on the concept.

Did a little thinking (and not a little note jotting) on this over the weekend and figured a Techmarine dread should have two CCWs (like Furiouso) to represent the servo arms. Don't think three (one standard one plus two servo-harness) would go over well with anyone (especially Blood Angels and successor chapters). The arms could be converted to appear more like servo-arms with more range of motion.

Since it is larger and has power to spare, the plasma cutter could be twin-linked plasma guns (jnstead of pistols) particularly since it would not have to worry about 'Gets Hot!'. And, of course, the torch would be a heavy flamer. These, naturally, would be mounted on servos from back, torso top, shoulders, arms, whatever.

Since a techmarine with servo-harness gets a bolter standard and can substitute various other weapons (inc combi-melta), the CCWs could be armed as per Furioso (storm-bolter and meltagun but no swapping options). Could also substitute conversion beamer for one of the arms.

Just some thoughts. However, by using an existing model (and stats to some degree), it would make it easier to convert (and possibly come up with DIY rules). More food for thought on the concept.

Thank you for the reply. You are one of few that have actually been positive with this WIP. I'll be using your input, and posting the results. Though it will be a while.

I have a Ironclad and FW Xeno Dissection Table coming, but I'm still looking for the treads. My idea is to have the Tech Dread outfitted as a Combat Engineer. Plow and back hoe.

In V5 the Techmarine is unique to outfit defensive perimeters and I wan to demonstrate it.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a Ironclad and FW Xeno Dissection Table coming, but I'm still looking for the treads. My idea is to have the Tech Dread outfitted as a Combat Engineer. Plow and back hoe.

You might look at scale models of construction equipement. you might get your treds and the backhoe at the same time.

Thank you for the reply. You are one of few that have actually been positive with this WIP. I'll be using your input, and posting the results. Though it will be a while.

In V5 the Techmarine is unique to outfit defensive perimeters and I wan to demonstrate it.

Thanks, pueriexdeus. I gave up on the thread very early for the same reason as you. Too many tangents and I was interested in seriously exploring the idea of TM DN.

I think having two CCWs with added flexibility (in joints) would demonstration that. The weapons load outs (based on normal DN & TM servoharness) are definitely defensive as the max range is 24" (TL-plasma guns & SB) as well the stats (cannot remember and at work so no reference material).

If swap for conversion beamer, would need to upgrade to MoTF which would likely be best represented by a Ven DN. In addition to swapping in the conversion beamer, I was thinking might be able to swap for a thunderfire cannon.

With the new Ven DN and its' human like hand, definitely have a good source for a more flexible CCW for combo servo-arm/CCW. Cather the Great's article 'Humanized' Hands for Dreadnoughts would give also give the impression of specialization & additional flexibility and allow you to convert both DCCWs.

The other Techmarine DN thread that frequently goes off on tangents has some interesting ideas for a TM DN if you are willing to read through the entire thread (which I just did albeit a quick scan for TM DN ideas). For example:

Arikel - using new Orc walkers CCWs, claws, clamps & even drills (yes, heresy but he admits it)

Grand Master Tyr - using 2 DCCWs Furioso style (great minds think alike ... but fools seldom differ)

Brother Martemis (in response to scout DN idea) - use 4 sentinel legs

Brother Martemis (again) - mechandrites connected DCCW, to interface w/systems

Brother Martemis (yet again) - reinforced legs (armour maybe too)

Skoby - using Ork Deffdred bitz

Alexander Fogh Pedersen - sweet pic of DN with
DIY
conversion beamer

mughi3 - 4 arms (4 DCCWs would be scary to consider)

sofacoin - thunderfire cannon instead of conversion beamer

Ideas suggested by many and
IIRC
showed up in
GW
's e-zine Black Gobbo (going to have to check if I DL'd the article):

- tracks

- 4 legs (not sentinel)

Right now I am just get ideas together (have a notebook, and bookmark or download ideas from the web) as I have many projects waiting to be done. This is just another idea/project that I think would be a nice add'n to an SM army and completely usable if executed correctly.

WarInHeaven: Looking good.

Reminds me of the IG thingy, cross between a Dread/Sentinel thingy, something Throne? Cant find it on GW's site though.

Am still waiting on the FW Xeno Table, some 1/72 Tanks from Ebay, and a GW Ven Dread to arrive. Have the Ironclad. I did find some four legged items from Armorcast that might also be promising.

Still in the early brainstorming wip stage.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I was looking over your stuff.

You know, just because it's a tech-marine, doesn't mean it has to have a servo arm.

You have a point, but I do plan on having to do some battle field repairs, so they'll probably come in handy. Besides the modeling options look real good in my minds eye right now.

WarInHeaven: Looking good.

Reminds me of the IG thingy, cross between a Dread/Sentinel thingy, something Throne? Cant find it on GW's site though.

Am still waiting on the FW Xeno Table, some 1/72 Tanks from Ebay, and a GW Ven Dread to arrive. Have the Ironclad. I did find some four legged items from Armorcast that might also be promising.

Still in the early brainstorming wip stage.

Me thinks you are talking about the Throne Of Judgement. Dont remember the Inq. Lord's name, but it was K-something. I actually use the legs of the ToJ for my GK dreadnought

As far as the treads go these are the option I have looked at.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/pueriexdeus/IMG_1135.jpg

These are all 1/72-76 scale. The top two Renault F17 and the Vickers MK V are small enough to fit in the 60mm base that comes with a Dread, but the body width and treads are so narrow they defy belief. The bottom two, the Merkava and MK I are broad enough, but they both are a couple inches too long.

So my quandary is to leave them and not have a base, or cut then down??? My reason for the base is to allow me to still Drop Pod the Technaught. I'm still waiting on these from Maxmini (tread units, not legs) for the servitors. Then I'll start the build.

• 3 months later...
What is this? A landraider I spy, with vanquisher cannons! As for the techmarine Dreadnought, you could try to find a way to (a) give it a servo arm. Maybe a ork deffdread can help with that? or (:P a conversion beamer, which could be mounted on a shoulder, as an arm, or maybe a weapon that is handheld. AKA, two handed. And the dreadnought could be venerable, with some edits, like more mechanicus symbols, etc etc. Painting it red and silver (excluding one arm for the chapter) is a good start already, no?

What is this? A landraider I spy, with vanquisher cannons! As for the techmarine Dreadnought, you could try to find a way to (a) give it a servo arm. Maybe a ork deffdread can help with that? or (:HQ: a conversion beamer, which could be mounted on a shoulder, as an arm, or maybe a weapon that is handheld. AKA, two handed. And the dreadnought could be venerable, with some edits, like more mechanicus symbols, etc etc. Painting it red and silver (excluding one arm for the chapter) is a good start already, no?

Actually I am looking at putting both the CB & Servo Harness on the model. Since it'll only be legal in Apoc games why not.

I have received all the Bitz, but right now I've not the time to get into it. It's a school thing.

These are all 1/72-76 scale. The top two Renault F17 and the Vickers MK V are small enough to fit in the 60mm base that comes with a Dread, but the body width and treads are so narrow they defy belief. The bottom two, the Merkava and MK I are broad enough, but they both are a couple inches too long.

Ork trakk. It's a good size, chunky but compact.

Why not start with an RT era dread with two power fists? It's a bit smaller in scale, which would give you more options for using stock parts to create a dread servo harness. Also, the back of the dread is pretty clean, which would make converting to mount said servo harness a breeze.

• 4 weeks later...

Theres mention of a Techmarine Dreadnought in the recent Ultramarines book The Chapters Due.

"...by Techmarine Harkus in his newly adapted forge, one rebuilt to accommodate his extra bulk now that his mortal remains were interred within a Dreadnought."

(Pg 32, The Chapters Due, Graham McNeil)

So there's definitely precedence for the creation of one.

Archived