Punkfish's BA 5th Company

punkfish

Hello chaps, since there's only a month left until the completion of the LPC challenge, I think I better get organised and show you all some pictures of my LPC Vow.

For my vow, I chose to paint a 5 man squad of Sternguard Veterans with a Heavy Bolter Razorback as transport and a Vindicator. If I get the time, the Vindicator will be joined by two more to make a linebreaker squadron.

Anyhow, without further ado, here's some pics. C and C welcome.

gallery_16404_560_74944.jpg

gallery_16404_560_10219.jpg

and here's some pics of them in a better light and with more highlighting done on the reds.

gallery_16404_560_51547.jpg

gallery_16404_560_2237.jpg

And just for a bit of fun, I introduce Brother Bob and his new toy......

gallery_16404_560_94114.jpg

If any of you frequent warseer, I also have a Plog there, feel free to drop and and leave a comment

BA 5th Company

Thanks for looking guys

Wow, these models were done very very well. I'm not sure if you posted how you painted them in another thread or not (A link would be appreciated if it was), but would you mind going through a rundown of how you painted them?

I myself am about to get back into WH40k from a 4-5 year hiatus, and am most likely going to be starting a BA army, I have a bunch of models and bought a lot of paint and would very much like to paint mine similar to how you've done yours.

Again, very nice work on those sternguard.

Thanks for the kind words guys, they keep me motivated to stay painting.

As requested, here's some pics of the Techmarine Brother Bob

gallery_16404_560_46913.jpg

gallery_16404_560_25394.jpg

As for the how I painted the Sternguard, well hopefully the following will assist

1 - Armour is basecoated Mechrite Red. This is followed by a heavy Devlan Mud wash. I then paint on several thinned coats of Blood Red (neatness is the key here). Once this is done, I use a wash of Baal Red. When the wash is dry, highlight with Blazing Orange and then re-wash with Baal Red.

2 - Chest eagles and other white areas are first undercoated Chaos Black, then picked out with Shadow Grey, then Space Wolf grey and then finally, a couple of thinned down coats of Skull White.

3 - The helmets are basecoated with Vomit Brown before then having graduating washes of Badab Black and Devlan mud in the recesses. The Helms are then tidied up with Vomit brown and then given a wash of Gryphonne Sepia. I need to finish off the Highlighting of the helms to complete the nmm look, although to see the effect i'm going for, see my Dante below

gallery_16404_560_490.jpg

It's mainly an issue of keeping the paint neat, I'm not using any advanced techniques, as primarily, this is a gaming army. I hope the above helps though :D

That particular Techmarine wasn't too bad - or it could just be that I was putting him together whilst also building the Thunderfire Cannon - now that is a model that will cause lots of swearing and teddy throwing.

Very nice SG! Luckily, they're apparently keeping an entry in the new 'dex, so you have a chance to use them!

I really like the highlighting and the consistent scheme on these guys. The detail bits are very pronounced, like the chest eagles and laurels; you seem to have a good grasp of when to use metallics and when to just highlight yourself. I tend to rely too much on metallic paints to save time on detailing.

Your Commander Dante is pretty sweet, too. Seems to follow the trend of avoiding metallics as much as possible, which leads to a really solid finish.

Nitpicking attack! Would SG Vets have yellow helmets? Since they're not Assault Marines, and don't fall under VAS in terms of assignments, I wonder which is the "appropriate" scheme for SG. I think it's probably fine either way, but I have to ask! :)

Not a nitpick at all - I've gone for a bit of a fudge to be honest. Let me explain. When I decided to paint the Sternguard, the BA's didn't have access to them - however, VAS had the option of being bolter armed. So, I decided that although most BA vets want to be all jump packy and stuff, some quite like having their bolters and special weapons and so formed their own dedicated fire support squads to support their VAS brethren. When deciding on this squad, I planned to either mount them in a Heavy Bolter armed Razorback or Drop-pod and funnily enough the Razorback is currently on the table as part of the Vow.

Now in terms of helmet colour, I umm'd and ahh'd about what colour to do them, either gold for HG should VAS lose the bolter option in the new dex or Yellow should they retain their VAS status. Luckily, the way I paint nmm gold and yellow uses the same basic techniques and colours - all I need to do is either re-highlight to bring it up to nmm gold or add a dash of yellow as a final highlight to signify their VAS status.

The picture in WD seems to suggest they'd fit into the Honour Guard Category, but I'm going to wait for the Codex to give me the definitive answer. We shall see. Either way, they were enjoyable models to paint. :lol:

Well seems like you thought this all out! Just had to say it, because it was the third thing I thought of after I saw your sweet models (the first two being wow! awesome SG followed by wow! even better Dante). Here's hoping you complete your LPC on time!

Thanks dude, me too although I'm having to fit this around my upcoming wedding (2 months and counting down) and a new job so it might just be a tight squeeze. Thankfully, when I put my mind to it, I can paint pretty quickly - I just don't really want to sacrifice any quality.

Oh, and time for a picture update, my next Razorback, this'll be one of the battle taxi's for the SG squad.

gallery_16404_560_16873.jpg

gallery_16404_560_48969.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Right, time for an update.

The Razorback is finished, pics below.

gallery_16404_560_69662.jpg

gallery_16404_560_25621.jpg

Next on the list is a Vindicator. I've got three to paint up and time allowing, I'll do all three. Here they are in their undercoated glory

gallery_16404_560_63441.jpg

As usual, any C+C welcomed.

Thanks for reading guys

I used the Army Painter Red for the primer. From a first time use, it seemed to cover quite nicely although it did require a lot of shaking.

I don't tend to use the GW spray-gun - never really got on with it.

I have the Army Painter Red primer as well and have only used it on one of my vehicles so far. It's a little brighter than the rest of my army, so I'm trying to decide how to handle that. I think that a light coat of Mechrite Red over the primer should dull it down enough to match the rest of the army.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your army painted up. Your Vets have set a high precedent.

spray gun, for the money is awesome.

Don't get me wrong, when I have used it, the results have been good (my Sternguard and Razorback were primed using it) and pretty much what I'd expect from that cost. My only issue with it is the capacity (although that would be true of many airbrushes). When I undercoat, I tend to undercoat lots in one go, for example, when I did the Vindicators, I did another two Whirlwinds, a scout squad, two Dreads and two Landspeeders in one fell swoop. The spray gun would require some fiddling and re-filling to do that job. So, from a time saving point of view, the Army painter red gets my vote.

Horses for courses I suppose.

As for how the units turn out with the new red, I'll probably darken it with selective shading, devlan mud and possibly mechrite red before bringing the red back up again. The army painter red is slightly dakrer than the old GW Blood Angels Orange spray so hopefully, getting the red I want shouldn't be an issue.

As an example, see my Furioso Dread below, he was sprayed with the old GW BA orange primer.

gallery_16404_560_112090.jpg

oh i dont use it for base coating. I use it more for spraying on weathering and what not on tanks, and hitting the inside of the tanks with the bone white final coat to help even it out.

• 3 weeks later...

Vow complete!!!

Due to RL issues, I only managed to finish the single Vindicator in the end but hopefully, the other two will be finished by Friday. Anyhow, without further ado, here's the newest tank to grace my BA 5th company, the Vindicator 'Belisarus' Sword'

gallery_16404_560_53207.jpg

gallery_16404_560_61911.jpg

gallery_16404_560_78362.jpg

I'll be adding the pics of the other two as I finish them and hopefully, from now on, I'll use this post as a semi regular plog for the updates/new additions to my army.

Thanks for reading so far guys, as always, C and C most welcome.

Dave

Very very nice. I dig the use of black to bring out the hard edges on the tank, and the liberal use of weathering. I'm curious as to how you got it darker than the initial coat, though.

As far as comparing the spray primer to the spray gun, I'm not sure which really gives the better results. I find that the spray primer ends up a little too bright for my tastes (I tend to run the darker side of red to avoid attracting too much attention to my somewhat sloppy painting), while the spray gun is only as good as my color mixing capabilities. I've pretty much hand painted my tanks in most cases, though I'm getting tired of doing this on successive Rhinos.

Either way, nice stuff thus far. Grats on finishing your LPC in time! :D

Archived