Grey's Imperial Fists

[b

Some of you may remember my post a month or so ago with my color test for my (then) pre-heresy Imperial Fists. Although I was quite pleased with the color scheme, I've decided that between being an engineering student and working in my lab I don't have the time necessary to really do what I want to with a pre-heresy army. Soo... the pre-heresy Fists have been put on the back burner for a year or two to make room for, you guessed it...

... modern Fists ;)

I though about just continuing the old thread, but as I plan to resurrect it when the actual pre-heresy army gets going full speed, I decided to just make another thread.

First off, the original color test demi-squad:

gallery_49210_4547_867307.jpg

They've been done for over a month now, but I've finally managed to almost complete the other half of the squad.

I'm quite pleased with how the squad sergeant turned out, especially with the use of the Black Temmplar bits:

gallery_49210_4547_69516.jpg

gallery_49210_4547_152664.jpg

Also included a few minor conversions, because honestly, any self-respecting eight-foot-tall superhuman warrior is definitely going to one-hand his fully-automatic rocket launcher on occasion. Plus, standard bolter-across-the-chest marines get old really fast:

gallery_49210_4547_56850.jpg

gallery_49210_4547_131889.jpg

gallery_49210_4547_48927.jpg

I know this guy isn't technically WYSIWYG, but nobody I know will complain:

gallery_49210_4547_237946.jpg

They all need decals and I just now realized that they need their gun grips painted as well, and then a coat of varnish and some basing will see them complete.

Same with this big guy, a Fist icon somewhere, some varnish and some grass should be pretty good:

gallery_49210_4547_35942.jpg

gallery_49210_4547_51935.jpg

Next up will be a Rhino and a power-armor captain of some sort, most likely a Relic Blade & Storm Shield combo.

I still need to figure out how to take sharper pics, mine are constantly pixilated, even though I used several lamps. We'll see. I the meantime, what do you all think?

The yellow is coming out a little lemony and shiny, in reality it's a bit more subdued. The areas that have been inked are actually quite reflective, but that should be fixed completely once the weather warms up enough to get some matte varnish on them.

As for the Dread, well, he's actually gold :) More of a test than anything else, I'm not sure what I think yet. He looks pretty nice, but next to the yellow marines he doesn't fit in very well.

Battle-Brother Ludovic: I agree, the dread needs to be yellow. Gold was a nice thought, but it really doesn't fit with the rest of the army. I'll re-paint him eventually.

No real update on the tactical squad from before. Instead of working with decals, I decided to get a start on the re-painting of an old terminator captain of mine. The yellow is nowhere near done and he's missing a shoulder pad, but I figured I'd throw him up here since I think he's a cool model. Enjoy:

gallery_49210_4547_50531.jpg

Hopefully I will have the tactical squad fully done this weekend, along with a counts-as Khan/Sicarius/Sigismund I'm working on. If I can finish those two units, I will have completed my LPC vow :blush:

I also painted up an inquisitorial guy for my fiancee's Guard army, as I was tired of painting yellow yesterday. He's one of the old metal DA veterans.

gallery_49210_4547_1853.jpg

Night Runner: The LC Captain did indeed start his life as the metal terminator chaplain model. A few quick bitz swaps and voila!

Battle-Brother Ludovic: I'll try to get a better photo of the =I= marine soon, no promises though, I'll have to steal him back from her.

Hopefully I'll have something new up by Saturday evening (US)

Finally got some paint on my 1st Captain Sigismund (counts-as Sicarius) mini. Hopefully he will be fully painted by tonight, so I can put decals and bases on him and the rest of my LPC minis.

Sigismund is still in pieces, but this should give you a bit of an idea on where I'm going with him. More pictures to follow later tonight!

gallery_49210_4547_36514.jpg

gallery_49210_4547_78194.jpg

EDIT:

Finished the painting on Sigismund, now I just need to do his base and decals and he'll be good to go!

gallery_49210_4547_57838.jpg

Overall I'm extremely pleased with how he turned out. There's probably a few spots that could use a touch-up or an extra bit of detail, but I'm going to let him sit overnight before I start looking for those. Here are some more pictures of him.

gallery_49210_4547_3103.jpg

I'm finally starting to figure out this old digicam... these pictures are much closer up, but they're still really grainy.

gallery_49210_4547_52086.jpg

What do you guys think?

Battle-Brother Ludovic: Yeah, I almost failed mine too due to some cold weather preventing me from priming for two weeks *sad face*. You could use your ongoing IF story for the Librarium submission though, it's looking good so far :huh:

Skirax: Thanks brother! I'm extremely pleased with how he turned out!

Battle-Brother Ludovic: Yeah, I almost failed mine too due to some cold weather preventing me from priming for two weeks *sad face*. You could use your ongoing IF story for the Librarium submission though, it's looking good so far :(

Hmm...I may actually submit the Angron one first (I've got more inspiration for it), and then finish the IF one off too and submit it, a small bonus for the Librarium for their great effort ;)

• 1 month later...

Well, I supposed it's high time for an update.

My 4th year of Chemical Engineering studies will wrap up next week, so I am finally managing to find time to think about my Fists after quite some time away. I've signed up for Call of the Imperium MK IV, pledging to produce two Rhinos, two Vindicators, and a Land Raider, within the next three months. So I suppose now that the Call has actually started, I should get going.

Here's what my army looks like so far, in it's vast grey glory:

gallery_49210_4547_26383.jpg

As you can see, I've made a bit of progress, but not much. I also have 15 more terminators, 2 more Rhinos and another Vindicator unassembled. I'd like to have all this painted by the end of the summer, roughly 2,700 points worth of Fists.

Some close-ups:

First Tactical Squad with Rhino:

gallery_49210_4547_1281584.jpg

Second Tactical Squad with Rhino and Whirlwind:

gallery_49210_4547_1705066.jpg

Third Tactical Squad with Vindicator and Dreadnoughts:

gallery_49210_4547_124833.jpg

Terminator Squad and Lightning Claw Captain with partially assembled Land Raider:

gallery_49210_4547_2103546.jpg

Scout Squad with Combi-Melta Sergeant:

gallery_49210_4547_1063376.jpg

Vanguard Squad with Magnetized Jump Packs:

gallery_49210_4547_815381.jpg

And now for the actual submissions to the Call:

Third Company's First Rhino, Pugnus (cliche... yes, awesome... of course):

gallery_49210_4547_96406.png

Imperial Fists Vindicator Terminus Vicis:

gallery_49210_4547_220064.png

This is probably all I'll have time to do until the end of next week, at which time the pace will (hopefully) pick up considerably). Still very pleased with the way my yellow is turning out.

Comments and criticism very welcome.

Archived