Hello!

Uncooked

Hello Space wolf players!

This is the first time I have ever posted on here, mainly doing so because I found a old picture which my friend sent me, leading me to find the battle report (which I had to subscribe to do: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...;#entry1511768).

Apocalypse pics; http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=28358&st=120 (for better pics as the B&C thread doesn't work properly for me)

I know that there is an introduction thread, I just wish to share everything that I have learnt about wolves, I'v played against very good players and it progresses your game play to such an extent that beardy and cheese lists ain't any fun, getting the balance for all armies is the key, winning that comes after is the pat on the back for getting there.

There hasn't been any reason for me to subscribe to B&T before on the basis that I never played marines, but I have been collecting space wolves before the release of the new codex (I was using space marine rules as the old codex was taken off). My previous armies in order from what I have first collected to now is; Tau, Nids, Eldar, Space wolves, mixed in with a bit of fantasy I have been playing for around 8-9 years now, how time has flown by since school :(

I game ever veterans nights and I've finally made a list which I'm completely satisfied with now (its taken me since the codex release to get this list nailed!) and its even worked against another wolf player, so i know its got the nads to take on anything, only thing that can beat it is luck, which comes from skill ;)

So, whats in my current army!?

Rune priest (Jaws of the world wolf, Living lighting)

7 Wolf Guard, Combi-Melta, Storm Bolter, 2 Powerfists - 5 terminator armour, 2 frost axe's, 2 powerfists, assault cannon, chainfist

Dreadnought, extra armour,heavy flamer, multi-melta

8 Grey Hunters, Plasma Pistol, Melta Gun, Mark of the Wulfen - [Drop Pod]

10 Grey Hunters - [Rhino, extra armour]

9 Grey Hunters, Melta-gun, Mark of the Wulfen, Plasma Pistol - [Rhino, Extra Armour]

Vindicator, Extra Armour

6 Long Fangs, 3 Lascannons, 2 Missile Launchers

1499Points

Reading from other threads I'd just like to say why I'v chosen the grey hunter load outs;

Mark of the Wulfen - its cheaper then a power weapon, and power weapons always let me down on the to wound roll, mark of the wulfen is great against hoard armies like nids and orks now where their armour saves let them down enough for me to not care about power weapons.

Plasma Pistols - beats tough opponents, can charge after shooting, no feel no paint against it! makes up for not having the powerweapon

Melta-gun, can charge after shooting, I find space wolf armies lack the versatility of normal tactical squads being able to take heavy weapon to take out armour.

So theres my list, but wait! because before I leave, I have planned a big apocalypse game! all 6,500-7,000 points of it! all of which will be painted to a A+ Standard.

I currently have around 5,000points painted, so there is another 1,500 to paint (basically a new army :mellow:), I only play with fully painted armies and it has always been a key to my game, making stuff look good always gets it shot, but if you have a fully painted everything then they are spoilt for choice! B)

I have Coursework and other university gibberish but I would like to share my army building up to the point of completion (June time perhaps)

So if there are any current questions about my 1,500points army list, questions about weapon choices, unit choices please ask! I'v got and used nearly everything in the codex :)

Can anyone tell/show me how to post picture please? Pictures show a thousand words (if only that were true about my dissertation!bah!)

*spreads hands* Ello. I dont post pictures really, so I cant help you there. But welcome to the B+C, and particularly our corner of it. Im glad youve decided to sign up- this is without a doubt the best forum for SMs youll ever find on the interweb.

Ales in in the back, just shove a few bloodclaws out of the way.

Welcome Uncooked! Its always nice to see a new wolf face around here!

I've only just picked up the 5th edition so I cant question anything you have there in your list! It all looks ok to me :P

Regarding posting pictures, if you have them online all you need is the link to the actual photo and then when you are posting here look for the "insert image" button at the top of the text box. Push that and paste the photo link into the script box that will appear, click ok and that should insert the picture for you! (can only be seen once posted or on preview)

Hope that is of some help!

Thanks Milmaa! after taking some time to understand the functions better I'v taken some time out to photograph part of my army with add some commentary :lol:

Entire Army:

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv34/Sam260308/Space%20Wolves/BalanceList9.jpg

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv34/Sam260308/Space%20Wolves/PodUnitMC2010_0326_231759.jpg

Drop Pod - Rune Priest + Grey hunters + Wolf Guard -

Hardest hitting unit in this army, decked out to the fangs. Jaws of the world wolf against HQ's, Combi Melta, Melta-gun, Plasma Pistol and Living Lighting against armour, mark of the wulfen and powerfist vs well armoured units. I never land this too far away from the main unit unless if i need a distraction or something needs to get killed like land raiders and battlewagons. This unit dies immediately after, but in crippling vital transport it gives me enough time to maneuver to counter any threat.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv34/Sam260308/Space%20Wolves/VindicatorMC2010_0326_231853.jpg

Vindicator is a scare tactic, everyone is scared of 5" blast - always the first to die due to something getting close to it like deffcopta's or deep striking units, but in doing so people usually lose more valuable assets to themselves or prevents more important stuff getting shot for a turn. Pure bullet magnet.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv34/Sam260308/Space%20Wolves/TerminatorsMC2010_0326_231626.jpg

Wolf Guard Terminators provide great light firepower with good combat strength, with their higher points cost then normal space marine terminators with storm shields and thunder hammer, i've decked these guy out as cheaply as possible - really gives people something to think about when getting too close.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv34/Sam260308/Space%20Wolves/DreadnoughtMC2010_0326_231949.jpg

Dreadnought - advancing armour with heavy flamer, bought on the cheap, but it really throws punches in combat, when it comes to shooting people prefer to shoot this dreadnought then a rhino which is handy if its an objectives game!

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv34/Sam260308/Space%20Wolves/RhinoSquad1.jpg

Rhino Unit 1 -

Grey hunters + Wolf Guard - the backbone of this army, this unit has been designed for every perceivable threat I'm possible to encounter, melta-gun and plasma pistol for tanks, heavy armour and monsterious creatures, Bolters and Mark of the Wulfen to deal with light infantry

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv34/Sam260308/Space%20Wolves/RhinoSquad2.jpg

Rhino Unit 2 -

The response squad, due to the lack of decent and objective claiming 'troops' units, grey hunters just stand head and shoulders above blood claws. Used to sit on objectives or to provide attentional firepower from the top of the rhino hatch, 'reserve' unit.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv34/Sam260308/Space%20Wolves/LongFangsMC2010_0326_231820.jpg

Long Fangs - Space wolves lack something normal marines have, heavy weapons in tactical squads and long ranged weapons. The lack of any good ranged firepower has only been addressed recently in this army, with the new 5th ed rules more people are using transports. Killing transports does one thing - buy you time to get it right and kill something properly. Decked with the best ranged anti-tank and some cheap missile launchers to take the hit for me, this is an expensive squad, but gives you something to shoot at early game ^_^

Rune priest (Jaws of the world wolf, Living lighting)

7 Wolf Guard, Combi-Melta, Storm Bolter, 2 Powerfists - 5 terminator armour, 2 frost axe's, 2 powerfists, assault cannon, chainfist

Dreadnought, extra armour,heavy flamer, multi-melta

8 Grey Hunters, Plasma Pistol, Melta Gun, Mark of the Wulfen - [Drop Pod]

10 Grey Hunters - [Rhino, extra armour]

9 Grey Hunters, Melta-gun, Mark of the Wulfen, Plasma Pistol - [Rhino, Extra Armour]

Vindicator, Extra Armour

6 Long Fangs, 3 Lascannons, 2 Missile Launchers

1499Points

Reading from other threads I'd just like to say why I'v chosen the grey hunter load outs;

Mark of the Wulfen - its cheaper then a power weapon, and power weapons always let me down on the to wound roll, mark of the wulfen is great against hoard armies like nids and orks now where their armour saves let them down enough for me to not care about power weapons.

Plasma Pistols - beats tough opponents, can charge after shooting, no feel no paint against it! makes up for not having the powerweapon

Melta-gun, can charge after shooting, I find space wolf armies lack the versatility of normal tactical squads being able to take heavy weapon to take out armour.

So if there are any current questions about my 1,500points army list, questions about weapon choices, unit choices please ask! I'v got and used nearly everything in the codex ;)

Questions unit by unit

-Storm Bolter + Powerfist

Why the SB? If he had a combi-plasma and was in the DP unit he could unleash serious pain with rapid fire. Combi-melta would give him an assault + AP1 weapon

-5 terminator armour, 2 frost axe's, 2 powerfists, assault cannon, chainfist

Lots of points and slow weapons in this unit and no SS? You have 3 out of 5 guys striking at I1....risking a lot if someone hits you with power weapons because you have nothing but 5+ and few models to spread it out. Do they footslog? You could get much more value with 4xCombi-plasma + power weapon and CML for excellent range (or assault cannon if that is your preference). Cap it off with a DP and put them within rapid fire range. All you have to do is find 15 more points for a DP.

-10 Grey Hunters - [Rhino, extra armour]

Why no special weapons at all? You can get 2xMelta for a mere 5pts and threaten armor and AP2

-Vindicator, Extra Armour

Why EA on the vindicator? If you can't fire the unit is useless. Moving might help avoid being assaulted and allow you to tank shock but you are paying way too much for that

-Rhinos, Extra Armour

If you need spare points I would remove these

Hope that helps!

Questions unit by unit

-Storm Bolter + Powerfist

Why the SB?

Storm bolter because I had 1496 points at the end of making this list at the beginning. I find that storm bolters and powerfists are a good combination as you can't get +1A like you could in the old rules foe powerfists and CCW. Would use a combi, but i don't plan on going over 1,500point games by a single point, that combi melta could win me a game and I'm playing fair by sticking to that standard point limit.

-5 terminator armour, 2 frost axe's, 2 powerfists, assault cannon, chainfist

Lots of points and slow weapons in this unit and no SS?

With the new edition of the tyranid codex, the inclusion of powerfists for instant killing units T4 units is invaluable, you can never have too many powerfists. terminators are built like bricks, their 2+ save is usually sufficient. Storm Shields cost the earth IMO, if they were the same as normal marine codex where storm shields and thunder hammers were free to change, i would gladly change them, in fact, storm shield and thunder hammers were the first terminators I got for Wolves when I first started on this chapter (Before the new edition Codex). 2 frost blades because thats all you get from two box's of space wolf sprues - I am not a modeler, i just use whats at hand.

Drop pods can easily isolate units to be picked off, if I play them safe, then whats the points of having a drop pod in the first place? Theres only so many 3+ saves you can make before you fail (at 18+15+15=48pts basic its not worth it IMHO).

Yes they footslog, the alternative is a land raider and drop pod, (if the drop pod is kept in reserve you never know when it will land, and when it does, they will get shot at. The Drop pod also blocks line of sight and provides another Kill point. whilst foot slogging they can provide either enough fire or movement through running to keep up with the rhinos, I have never had a problem with these.

-10 Grey Hunters - [Rhino, extra armour]

Why no special weapons at all?

They have two plasma guns and are designed to provide fire support from ranged and sit on objectives or provide extra bodies for combat if they are needed, and that is what their rhino is for.

-Vindicator, Extra Armour

Why EA on the vindicator?

Extra armour is to prevent this tank from blocking the backlog of units behind it, ever seen the films from ww 2 where the tank leads and the units behind follow? thats kinda of what extra armour always allows me to do. The Vindicator doesn't need to fire its gun to be effective, it and the Rhinos are basically moving walls to prevent your units behind from getting peppered by light gun fire

-Rhinos, Extra Armour?

As said for the Vindicator, it prevents the clogging up of units through bottlenecks when the tanks at the front get stunned. Rhinos never get shot at with the high caliber guns, they save the Str 7 + 8 guns for them, its very often glancing hits have been taken which 'stun' the crew but with a full load of men inside still to need to reach their lines. Normal foot slogging marines have problems moving against light infantry fire, the way I play I would rather have a mobile tank even if it can't shoot then a unit stuck in the water and stopping the unit inside from moving when nothing else is nearby.

• 11 months later...

Very nice work. I really like the clean power armor and the basing. Well done.

I don't disagree with your tactics either. It's certainly a valid technique. I would offer that you may want the LR when you expand to higher point games. There is a certain value in the LR being a magnet for anti-vehicle fire. It's durability can be a real asset, not necessariliy in protecting the troops within, but in absorbing fire for several rounds that allows the rest of your army to advance.

Of course, it CAN blow up the first time it's shot too.

Archived