signus prime novel in planning by james swallow

ANCIENT FALOR

The same guy that wrote the abominable Flight of the Eisenstein? Hahaha serves the BA right for getting their new "flying land raidier than thou" codex. Perhaps this will be as big of a fiasco as that or Fulgrim or Battle for the Abyss.

And thank you Rain. Hope your Legion gets the shaft during the HH as well.

Well, Swallow did do a 'good' job on Flight, so hopefully he'll write this as well.

Do NOT want more Blood Angel Omnibus type stuff from him. Though Black Tide was.. 'good'.

The same guy that wrote the abominable Flight of the Eisenstein? Hahaha serves the BA right for getting their new "flying land raidier than thou" codex. Perhaps this will be as big of a fiasco as that or Fulgrim or Battle for the Abyss.

http://simmerdown3.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/haterade-logo.jpg

Swallow can be a decent writer... but his villains feel so very Snidely Whiplash-esque and he seems to blatantly disregard fluff whenever he feels like it. To echo the sentiment of other posters, I hope he breaks out of the mode he's been in writing the BA books.

Flight wasn't amazing, but personally, I loved Fulgrim. Granted, it dragged at times, and looking back seemed like 3 separate books, I think its because Mcneill did a decent enough job arcing a timeline that lasted through the first 3 books in HH into one. And I'm fairly excited for Nemesis, maybe thats just me though. Just my humble opinion though, I don't mind having the BA in his hands... again.

Right, sorry, I mis-worded my reply, I was more or less repsonding to the degradation of the novel and threw in Swallow's name off hand. I enjoyed Flight, but as far as list of favorites in the HH series, its not near the top 5. Thanks for catching that before I did, haha.

Although my last post was somewhat tongue in cheek, I do think that those 3 books I cited were the worst of the HH series. Oh and I know that only Flight was written by Swallow. As for Fulgrim, that book was absolute garbage in my opinion. I was actually planning an Emperor's Children army before I read it and thought that it would give me some inspiration for said army, but instead it killed all I liked about the EC.

All of the traitor EC were presented as prancing morons, Fulgrim's corruption was due to him finding an evil sword, the legion turned to Slaanesh due to an evil piano, and the whole Dorian Gray reference running throughout the subplot with the painter/sculptor guy was a good idea, but was executed in a very underwhelming and meh way. It had such potential too, the EC probably fell the farthest of any Chaos Legion all told, and the process was presented in a very unsatisfying way.

Although my last post was somewhat tongue in cheek, I do think that those 3 books I cited were the worst of the HH series. Oh and I know that only Flight was written by Swallow. As for Fulgrim, that book was absolute garbage in my opinion. I was actually planning an Emperor's Children army before I read it and thought that it would give me some inspiration for said army, but instead it killed all I liked about the EC.

All of the traitor EC were presented as prancing morons, Fulgrim's corruption was due to him finding an evil sword, the legion turned to Slaanesh due to an evil piano, and the whole Dorian Gray reference running throughout the subplot with the painter/sculptor guy was a good idea, but was executed in a very underwhelming and meh way. It had such potential too, the EC probably fell the farthest of any Chaos Legion all told, and the process was presented in a very unsatisfying way.

I feel similarly about Fulgrim. I was reading the HH books at breakneck pace until I hit that one like a brick wall. I haven't picked up one since. I love the artwork of the EC, but their representation was meh.

Don't think I forgot about your anti-blood angels remark Iron Warrior. I think someone is still frustrated about not being able to field basilisk's anymore.

I feel similarly about Fulgrim. I was reading the HH books at breakneck pace until I hit that one like a brick wall. I haven't picked up one since. I love the artwork of the EC, but their representation was meh.

Don't think I forgot about your anti-blood angels remark Iron Warrior. I think someone is still frustrated about not being able to field basilisk's anymore.

I don't understand the Fulgrim hate, same for Decent of Angels BTW, I thaought Fulgrim was one of the best books in the series don't realy know I just liked it, I hope Swallow will do a good job on this one though the Blood Angel Books were horrible but Flight of the Eisenstein was good, so we'll see

It's almost as though liking an author and his particular style is a completely personal thing, isn't it? :)

I thought Eisenstein was a terrific story marred by a writing style I found a bit dry (boring, honestly), and I have been unimpressed by his other Black Library works...but I'll still read it.

I loved Fulgrim and A Thousand Sons, but dislike just about everything else McNeil has done (Ultramarines...uggh).

I'd be happy with Abnett and Dembski-Bowden writing every BL book, but that's probably take a while haha

Man you guys complain a lot. Yet I'm inclined to agree that Fulgrim was kinda pants. I tried reading it for a second time last week and just couldn't get through it. So far the only books I've been able to re-read are Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy in Flames, Flight of the E and Legion. Next up is tales of Heresy, I remember that being ok - with a story by McNeil I quite enjoyed. Makes for a change! Abyss I don't want to touch, Mechanicum I have no real interest in, The dark angels books I have no interest in either. The new Assassin book I doubt I will touch either. So all I've got left is Abnetts take on the Space Wolves at Prospero. But McNeil made me hate them in Thousand Sons, they came across as absolute wallies and really wanted to see an Imperator jump on Russ and his dumb mutts.

I guess I complain a lot too. Damn.

Man you guys complain a lot. Yet I'm inclined to agree that Fulgrim was kinda pants. I tried reading it for a second time last week and just couldn't get through it. So far the only books I've been able to re-read are Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy in Flames, Flight of the E and Legion. Next up is tales of Heresy, I remember that being ok - with a story by McNeil I quite enjoyed. Makes for a change! Abyss I don't want to touch, Mechanicum I have no real interest in, The dark angels books I have no interest in either. The new Assassin book I doubt I will touch either. So all I've got left is Abnetts take on the Space Wolves at Prospero. But McNeil made me hate them in Thousand Sons, they came across as absolute wallies and really wanted to see an Imperator jump on Russ and his dumb mutts.

I guess I complain a lot too. Damn.

Have you seen the legio chaos forums? A good portion of it ranges from "boo hoo our codex sucks" to "Imma lynch me a Gav Thorpe!". The rest is good stuff though.

In all honesty, I'm not a huge fan of anything written by McNeil or Swallow. One has great concepts and poor execution, and the other seems to turn every character he touches into an over-emotional teen inhabiting a super soldier body or a comic book cut-out villain inhabiting a super soldier body while laughing in an malicious manner and petting his evil cat (or so I felt when I read Deus Encarmine).

Abnett and Dembski-bowden make up the large majority of what I read now after McNeil did an encore performance of Fulgrim with the Thousand Sons (Good concepts, poor execution along with a mediocre expression of the Thousand Sons).

You know, I have only ever stopped reading two books outta my time reading 40K books and they were the BA omnibus and the Soul Drinkers omnibus. Bad thing was, is I started reading the BA omnibus, put it down for some reason (cant remember why, its been a while) and picked up Soul Drinkers Omnibus....oh no. Was it just me, or did it seem to drag really bad at the beginning? Sorry if I went off topic there. Currently, I am in FotE and so far it is fairly descent. Some things I would've changed, but descent nonetheless. BA HH novel shouldnt be to bad hopefully.

I didn't mind Fulgrim or A thousand sons to much but they are not my favorites. I agree McNeil's characters often don't act so much like marines would be expected to act. Ventris and Honsue being the biggest examples by far. Ventris would risk being expelled from his Chapter to save a kitten all while Honsue acts overly arrogant and prideful after commiting screw up after screw up or complains that the other IWs look down on him because he has IF geneseed. I liked Forrix though, very get the job done and emotionless. More of what you expect from a marine, especially an IW. If the IWs get a HH book I wouldn't mind McNeil doing it.... on that note... Honsue hasn't been born yet, thats the only reason I don't mind him doing it ;) .

And for Swallow I liked Flight, but again not as much as the others. But I've heard horrible things about the blood angels books. I trade books with Imperial players from time to time, and thats the one series I'm told to avoid. I hope he does something good, I would hate to have something as hard to read as Decent of Angels. But it should be easy, its BA fighting a bunch of demons, you should have no problem avoiding boring parts.

Hmmm, I didn't really enjoy FotE, but I didn't hate it either, so I'll give it a chance. I will read all of the HH books no matter who writes them though :)

yeah, I don't put a book back on the shelf because of who wrote it. It is usually whatever the story is about, and whether I want to read about that or not.

Archived