New Scheme, New Squad

My Death Guard army has been in the works for about three years now. Whereas previously, I've just been playing with friends, or with online mods (which are frowned upon by GW, I know ...), I recently joined up with a local game store league, so I've really been cracking down on getting things completed.

Having painted my FW Dread a while back, I realized my painting has improved significantly over the years, and much of my Death Guard army just doesn't hold up anymore. I've been painting a dwarf army for Fantasy, along with a dwarf Blood Bowl team, and minis for my friend's Talisman board game, so I've been away from my DG scheme for a while.

With a squad of FW Death Guard waiting to be painted, I decided to strip an old Plague Marine, and have a go at the scheme I did on my Dread, though obviously a simpler version since they're less detailed Marines. Below is the new vs old comparison shot (not a before and after, just same looking models).

gallery_33361_1991_25384.jpg

I hope it's easy enough to tell which one's the newer one ...

And here's the start of my FW Death Guard squad! Four down, 3 to go. The special weapons marines are magnetized to allow for flamer/plasma swaps.

gallery_33361_1991_69086.jpg

The biggest changes in basic painting scheme (as opposed to skill) were taking all the rust off the armor itself, and leaving it only on the metal trim. The green Nurgley stuff is left to make the white armor interesting. All the metallic parts are layered with three different silvers (old job just had one, as that's all I owned at the time), and the green is also two layers (Vallejo's Game Color, Dead Flesh is the highlight over a mixed dark green).

Overall, the new scheme is actually faster to paint, and I'm quite happy with the results. Next up is a Land Raider for the list ... so we'll see how well it translates onto a giant tank. Comments appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Update!

I finally finished my Icon Bearer for this squad. I've used the banner from the FW DG dread (second one) to make the most impressive banner in the whole army.

My paint-on matte varnish made it a little glossy - I think I'm going to try and dull it down with my spray stuff -, but otherwise I'm quite pleased.

gallery_33361_1991_97310.jpg

And some close ups.

gallery_33361_1991_61933.jpg

gallery_33361_1991_67449.jpg

Gotta love a good nurgling. I hope if they ever get around to Daemons Wave 2 that they'll follow FW's steps with the looks of these little guys.

And not to deny my Dread, I've made the banner swappable by adding an extra length of copper rod (which I use to pin things normally):

gallery_33361_1991_12271.jpg

I still have to get the squad's champ done, but I've gotten on board with the Call to Chaos painting fun, so he might have to get held off for a while.

~ Plague Dave

• 3 months later...

So I got a bunch done during the Call to Chaos, and now that that's all wrapped up, I finally finished the champ for my FW squad. Just wanted to show him off, since I had the rest of the squad here.

Here he is:

gallery_33361_1991_137308.jpg

gallery_33361_1991_36305.jpg

I'm quite happy with how his head turned out. It's oddly a little cartoony looking, but I thought the layering was accomplished nicely (grayed flesh tones over lich purple).

I'm not really a fan of the white to be honest, it looks too I don't know, solid? Dry? Not even sure what bugs me about it but meh. That said, I absolutely love the way you did the rust, care to share a rundown on how you did it?

The rust I do is fairly simple.

Firstly, I pay no mind to metallics going on grainy as they sometimes do. Not having a smooth layer there helps the rust colored layers.

I follow up with a coat of Vallejo's Beasty Brown, and then top it off with Parasite Brown (that's the more orange color). I just dab, or stipple smaller areas, and kinda drybrush larger surfaces (like the spheres on the backpack).

Quiet basic, really, but it serves me well.