Night Lords 12th Company: Pavor Nocturnus

Seregon

Time to get my heresy-style Night Lords (using the Blood Angel codex) on a roll.

Starting up for the Call of Chaos MKIV is two units of Marines, donning Mark IV Power Armour, along with at least five pre-heresy jumppacks. I'm still waiting on a few of Chapterhouses new heresy-era jumppacks to decide which of the two styles I like best, so I'll just finish the five from Maximini I have and then berzerker backpacks for the rest of them.

All back-/jumppacks will be magnetized to allow me greater flexibility.

Skulls and trophies will be sparse and no chaos icons of any kind.

Even though I'm using the Blood Angel codex, I'll try to keep away from any of the obvious shiny thingies they get and keep to what I'll be able to use with Codex:CSM too.

Presenting:

icon22.gif Night Lords 12th Company: Pavor Nocturnus icon22.gif

Starting of with a few picture of a few of the parts.

gallery_25173_4810_14802.jpg

Forge World MKIV torsos and heads will act as the base of the entire army. I'll possibly have other heads for the Sergeants/Asp.Champions, but that's yet undecided.

gallery_25173_4810_47294.jpg

For bases I have the lava style bases from Dark Arts Miniatures, but mine won't be filled with lava..

gallery_25173_4810_40723.jpg

A few basecoated raptors with magnetized jumppacks and yet-to-be magnetized berzerker backpacks. Havn't got most of my bitz yet, so the legs are what will be used on my future devastators, but will do for now.

gallery_25173_4810_31866.jpg

A bit too zoomed out, but the general pose for the first of my sergeants, though he'll get a pair of more stationary legs to bring out the pose a bit better.

As always, C&C and other ideas is greatly welcome!

@popkhorne: Thanks. As for the backpacks it seems it's no consistent fluff about those.

According to the old stuff, there were smaller backpacks; according to newer fluff however, there seems to be more along the lines of the bulkier berzerker backpacks. That makes me reason it's kinda down to personal preference, and the zerker ones just strike me as the more fitting pack.

@trautz: Thanks, so am I. :)

As for the bases, I'll keep it a secret for a little while longer. I hope to finish a test base this weekend, if my work lets me.

@LordGates: The jumppacks are resin ones from Maxmini. Their webstore is sadly down at the moment, but if you google for "maxmini jump pack" you should get a few results.

The other version of jumppacks I'm considering are the newly released ones from Chapterhouse Studios found here.

I think your ideas will come out really good. The sergeant looks great!

I vote for the new heresy-era jumppacks, but again, the ones you have look really good too. In any case, magnets are blessings of the Dark Gods, and will solve any problem you stumble upon. :)

I know I'm not supposed to do any painting (someone distract Nihm!), but I just had to play a bit with one of the bases to have something to have as a comparison. I only did the red, so the rock parts will need to be retouched, highlighted and washed before it'll be done.

I'm gonna place another order for more bases though, so I'll finish this one completely and then disqualify it from use on the units for the CoC and keep it for later use. ;)

Queue bases of blood; in a bright red to offset the dark Night Lords colours:

gallery_25173_4810_27613.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
(someone distract Nihm!)
Where is your May updates mmm? ;)

Coming right up! ^_^

icon22.gif May - Update I

Three models pretty much done, except for the lightning which will be applied at the very end. Also need to glue them together, but that's for next time. I have started very slightly on another two normal guys so those two together with the rest of the bases are the plan to finish for next update.

(The sergeant was glued, but the torso didn't hold very good so I ripped him apart and will refit him with some greenstuff to help hold it all together a bit better. I'll probably try a late magnetizing of the hammer as well if I can find some very thin metal sheet to glue onto the torso; I'm reluctant to start drilling in the resin torsos.)

gallery_25173_4810_48653.jpg

gallery_25173_4810_74818.jpg

gallery_25173_4810_52018.jpg

gallery_25173_4810_34416.jpg

gallery_25173_4810_70045.jpg

I'm excited about this army! I am starting mine soon, made in a similar style. I will not be doing pre-heresy per say, but heresyesque.

I will also be using the BA codex, and will be trying to keep it compatible with the chaos codex as well.

I'm keeping my eye on this!

• 3 weeks later...
icon22.gif June - Update I

Righty-O then. Second may update is still missing a picture, but I'll post a picture of all the guys as soon as I've completed their bases and finished putting them together, not just being completely painted bits.

As for bases, I got a bit bored of painting only normal guys so I felt I had to get something slightly different in as well. Queue "Codename: Talon". His plus 4 other bases are done apart from the two layers Tamiya Clear Red and some touchups on the black rock, and another 4 bases need two more layers of red highlight to be at the same stage. The dreadnought legs and feet are completely finished, and out of view his torso and one arm are being worked on.

gallery_25173_4810_6801.jpg

The goal is to have 8 normal marines and the dreadnought complete by the end of the month, and then spend july on doing another 7-12 marines for a bonus 3rd CoC item. Let's see if I make it..

Well, since it's time for 2010 FIFA World Cup, and I don't plan on missing too many matches, suitable rearrangements to my furniture has been made to accomodate both my football and painting needs..

gallery_25173_4810_39021.jpg

Since Sweden didn't qualify, I'll just enjoy the games (almost) without bias. Game on! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
icon22.gif June - Update II

Just realized I'm leaving for a trip to the US tomorrow morning and no pictures yet of where I'm at right now, so time for (another) rush job..

gallery_25173_4810_67769.jpg
Apart from the heads and the NL shoulder pads for the bolt pistols, these guys are pretty much done. The lightning effects on the power fist will be done at the same time as I do the blue lightning on the power armour. Not showing are the completely finished models that are hiding on my NL shelf.

And as to what I'm currently working on:
gallery_25173_4810_70762.jpg
Three special weapon guys, with magnetized weapons (and magnetized NL shoulder pad). The armour apart from the weapon arm are almost finished. Will do the last details of blue and the rest of the gold layers today, so when I get back from my trip I'll have three meltaguns + arms, two arms and around half a dozen shoulder pads to be all done with my two vowed units. The dreadnought is pure bonus and will have to wait a bit more.

Until next time, which will be in mid-july..

• 1 month later...
icon22.gif July - Update I

I just realized that my trip to the states really messed up my schedule. Four days to go, I work three of them and I still have three meltaguns and about half a dozen of shoulder pads to do.
Finished 10 helmets today and glued them onto the mostly finished models. Two pics here to show off the five guys that now are complete (sans lightning)

gallery_25173_4810_84451.jpg
gallery_25173_4810_8814.jpg

If some of you are really close to completion, now would probably be a good time to tell you that as usual we allow for a 24 hour 'grace period' to let everyone on the planet submit within the time frame given.

Make of that what you will.. ;)

Come on! Make that last effort and you'll be a hero! The first squad looks great, and it would be nice to see a group picture of both... :cuss

icon22.gif July - Update II - CoCIV Final

For the Call of Chaos IV, I set out to do two squads of 5 marines for my count-as BA Night Lords unless I managed to do more. I ended up with one 5-man honour guard and one 7-man assault squad as well as half of a dreadnought, so over all I'm happy.

Now I'll reassign this blog to track the future progress of XII Company, but first a pair of pics of the squads.

Honour Guard
gallery_25173_4810_34847.jpg

Assault Squad
gallery_25173_4810_52341.jpg

• 3 months later...

Progress!

I'm currently working on finishing a slightly below 1000 pts list for both the apocalypse game on saturday and the planet strike one down at the local game store two weeks after that. The goal is to have everything ready to play for saturday and completely finished with all highlights and details for the planet strike one.

Currently in work: 5 devastators, 3 raptors/assault marines and 1 librarian dreadnought

Right now the bases and legs are done, and the torsos are in progress (and hopefully finished tomorrow)

gallery_25173_4810_19747.jpg

I've also started a separate blog, I'll try to update every now and then; it's located here

Archived