Xeones' Stormraven Template

Brother Xeones

OK everyone:

Since many of you have asked, I have created a flat set of templates from my 3D Stormraven concept (see images below).

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7657/sr2quarter.jpg

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5927/sr2top.th.jpghttp://img25.imageshack.us/img25/913/sr2side.th.jpghttp://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7307/sr2front.th.jpg

Here is the result:

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/9115/srflat.jpg

As I said before I created these templates, this is not a step-by-step tutorial on how to create the model, it is simply a 2D render of the major faces used to create my digital 'raven. A good deal of work will still be required to take what I am giving and turn it into a tangible flyer. If you get stuck, I recommend that you also take a look at the actual 3D model so you can understand how these shapes correspond to one another on the model. The SketchUp model can be found HERE. Google SketchUp is a free program that can be downloaded HERE. You will need to install this program in order to view the 3D model.

Here are a few recommendations and things to keep in mind when trying to construct a model from this template:

• Each individual shape should be cut out separately. I have grouped the shapes together along common sides to make it easier to understand how they go together, but unless you plan to make this model out of paper, I recommend that you cut out each shape individually and then start gluing them together.

• This model template assumes that each shape has no thickness (kind of like a paper model) Since plasiticard has varying thicknesses, you'll want to take the thickness of your card into account when created the shapes—otherwise, none if this will fit together properly. Some pieces, like the wings and canards, have only been rendered as though they have no thickness, but I recommend using very thick card or multiple layers to achieve a believable thickness to them.

• Decide on your own scale: These templates are not scaled to the perfect tabletop size. Decide for yourself how big you want your model to be and scale the template accordingly.

• A few key items are missing in this template in order to simplify the design and make it more easily understandable. The template is missing:

-Engines: Engines should be placed close to the wing root where the wing area is white instead of gray. I recommend that you don't use Valkyrie engines because these will probably be too small (and probably too long) I'd recommend using two of the main turbine engines from a SM Drop Pod kit as the basis for the front of the engine. This should give you a much better fit in scale with the rest of the model.

-Turrets: Both turrets need to be scratch built. I have not included directions for these since many of the components for the weapons and things will be pulled from your bitz box. You might be able to use Razorback turrets, but my guess is that these turrets will be too large and bulky depending on how big you make your model.

-Bloodstrike Missiles and wing-mounted weapons pylons: Valk missiles or IG HK missiles are probably your best bet.

-Dreadnought Harness: The dreadnought is designed to be suspended just aft of the main troop compartment. If you download the SketchUp model, you can see how I envisioned it, but feel free to experiment with your own ideas.

-Landing gear: If you want a gear-down 'raven, you can take a look at what I've done on the 3D model or do your own.

-Greebles, Panel Lines, and Other Details: the template is much simplified from the original concept in order to make it easier to understand, but surface details like panel lines, little vents, and hoses will go a long way towards improving the look of your models.

Good luck to those of you who have been hoping to try your hand at this! I demand pictures of anyone who finishes one. :-)

–X

Looks really cool! However, IMHO I think the heavy-bolters being mounted so close to the engines seem like an epic design flaw. (Spent HB cases in the engine intake = FOD!)

Looks really cool! However, IMHO I think the heavy-bolters being mounted so close to the engines seem like an epic design flaw. (Spent HB cases in the engine intake = FOD!)

Bolters of all types use caseless ammunition.

;) AMAZING!

I too was gonna wait around for the "legal" model but this looks just great and i could build a temporary stand in out of some cardboard or even balsa wood if i feel up to it. it will work great for playtesting purpoes before buying any real thing. thanks for sharing

Have y'all actually missed 20+ years of 40K artwork? If you can find a picture of a firing Bolter without the obligatory cascade of brass I'd be amazed.

And never have real world considerations interfered with any sort of vehicle design in 40K. Every single Imperial Guard tank would shake itself to pieces the moment it tried to go cross country and there are hundreds of other similar issues. The Rule of Cool dictates design in 40K.

Wow, I'm actually kind of surprise this has gotten so many enthusiastic responses. I really didn't think many people would be interested.

For those of you who are taking a crack at this, if you have any questions, post them here and I'll try to answer them if I can. I'm getting married in 15 days and I've got a lot of stuff to do before then, so I can't guarantee a speedy answer, but I'll try to help you if I can.

Nice, was actually expecting a full Unwrap of the model thumbsup.gif

Yeah, I was planning on just doing an unwrap of the model, but once I saw the jumble of shapes (I wasn't even sure what some of the shapes where), I decided I had to do something a little more easily readable.

Since I play mine with melta and hurricanes Ill probably modify it a bit, but overall awesome! Hats off to you!

Yeah, I think if I made one, I'd run with the multimelta too. I was thinking that the hurricane bolters would go well under the front canards.

Have y'all actually missed 20+ years of 40K artwork? If you can find a picture of a firing Bolter without the obligatory cascade of brass I'd be amazed.

And never have real world considerations interfered with any sort of vehicle design in 40K. Every single Imperial Guard tank would shake itself to pieces the moment it tried to go cross country and there are hundreds of other similar issues. The Rule of Cool dictates design in 40K.

Lol. The Rule of Cool is definitely what I was using here. I think "caseless casings" getting sucked into the engines is probably the least of the design flaws considering this concept has the aerodynamic glide path of a Leman Russ. :P

You only need to go to the full-sized flat image in my Imageshack account. Download it and then resize it to whatever scale you want to make the file and then print it out. You don't really need to download the 3D file or SketchUp in order to create the model. I just think it might be easier to figure things out if you do.

The front of this reminds me of the fictional MiG-31 (firefox), but I can't see Clint Eastwood stealing this one!

Thats said it's the best looking Stormraven image so far IMHO and has got my creative thoughts flowing now the end of the uni year is only a week away and I'll have some time on my hands.

I might have a guide now for my DC Stormraven!

I'm gonna do a mock up over the weekend out of cardboard to give me an idea of just what i'm getting myself into! I've yet to commit

to anything quite so ambitious but the template is begging to be built (at least attempted)

P.S. thanks for making this available to the community

• 2 months later...
This is the absolute coolest design ever!!! Thanks for running up those designs, right now I am working on some cut outs, I'll post the finished one here if you don't mind seeing it. Hopefully will be done in a week or so, with a few modifications :D

It's quite tempting to find one of these old Starbird toys and see what you could kit-bash using that as a base...

if only I hadn't ditched mine years ago :P

http://www.bugeyedmonster.com/toys/starbird/starbird/blowup/starbird.jpg

As stated in the most recent C:SM: "Marksmanship badges are made by forging in gold, bolter cases fired by Roboute Guilliman himself."

Not only that, but as already stated, every single image of a bolter being fired shows the cases being ejected; this is also shown by the side facing ejector slot, which kicks out the empty cases as it fires.

All that aside, AMAZING template! Gonna be making one of these for my Brospeh, who plays BA religiously. That'll get him off my back about him wanting me to buy him a Furioso Dread for his B-Day.

All that aside, AMAZING template! Gonna be making one of these for my Brospeh, who plays BA religiously. That'll get him off my back about him wanting me to buy him a Furioso Dread for his B-Day.

Thanks, good luck on the project. I've been kind of disappointed that there have been a number of people who have vowed to build one and then I've never heard anything further. I don't know if they just lose interest or if the plans aren't clear enough for them or what. <_<

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to try to help if I can. Just post here or PM me.

I am still hard at work on mine, I have taken your designs and modified the size so that the cabin will be about the same size as a Rhino. If I can get my camera working, I will definitely get some pics up.

• 2 weeks later...
ll right here are the links to my WIP photos of this totally awesome Stormraven, actually, I'm not quite sure how to do it, so just check out my gallery!

:P

Sweet! It's looking like it should to me. That's about the scale I imagined too. Good luck on the rest!

EDIT: By the way, if you want to link an image from your gallery, do the following: Go to the gallery image, and click on the text in the "Image Link" line. Then, in your next post, frame that text with image tags like so:

[img=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1280331314/gallery_46483_3725_618068.jpg]

what everyone will see is your image (here, I did one for you)

gallery_46483_3725_618068.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
Well, I have finished the rear of the troop compartment, mounted the front stabilizing wings, debating whether or not to stick hurricane bolters on them :huh: . Have cut the main part of the dorsal of the ship, I have engines ready and I am working on completing the entire front of the Stormraven. I have added straws to the inside for added strength as the plasticard is a little flimsy. Should have pics up tomorrow. <_<

Archived