Selecting a scheme/chapter

kman

Hey all. I'm turning to the B&C community with a rather pathetic plea, hoping that you guys can help me with the one decision I can't seem to make myself - how I should paint my marines. Perhaps I've just got a fear of commitment, but I've vacillated on this decision for so long I haven't painted a new marine since my Ravenwing army 8 years ago.

I've narrowed my preferences down to 6 (not much narrowing, I know), and knocked up a snapshot for each in the B&C SM Painter and included some thoughts on why I like each. Instead of recopying all of that into the forums here, I posted it to my blog, along with a poll. For those of you willing to vote in the poll, I'd appreciate it, and I'd appreciate even more any thoughts any of you might have, and are willing to post here or in the comments section of the blog post, on why you liked a particular scheme, didn't like any of them, etc.

http://res-nova.blogspot.com/2010/05/rumin...or-schemes.html

Thanks much B&C! I look forward to seeing what you guys think.

I like the Poseidon Legion's colors. I am not a fan of the name though; legions are preheresy and I think Poseidon would work better as the name of their homeworld. Maybe something of the "element" "animal/object" format (Water Dragons, Sea Serpents, etc)...

As for the tanks, how about modding them into hovercraft (think modern hovercraft with armored skirting rather than anti-grav)?

I really like the Poseidon chapters colours. I agree about the name though, although the homeworld of Poseidon does sound really cool. Maybe have a name thats something to do with Poseidon, and maybe have a trident incorporated into the chapter symbol? Would love to see those colours on an actual test model though :)

Edemia

I like the Poseidon Legion's colors. I am not a fan of the name though; legions are preheresy and I think Poseidon would work better as the name of their homeworld. Maybe something of the "element" "animal/object" format (Water Dragons, Sea Serpents, etc)...

There are still a few loyalist chapters using "Legion" in their title. The Mentor Legion being a good example of that, though GW might have retconned that out at the same time they changed the chapter logo. But the name would just be that, rather than a reference to their organizational structure. I do like the idea of using the types of names you've suggested as alternative titles for different squad types.

As for the tanks, how about modding them into hovercraft (think modern hovercraft with armored skirting rather than anti-grav)?

That's a cool idea. My idea, years ago, was to make all of my vehicles anti-grav, riffing off the enclosed land speeder design from Forgeworld, but hovercraft would be a cool alternative.

I really like the Poseidon chapters colours. I agree about the name though, although the homeworld of Poseidon does sound really cool. Maybe have a name thats something to do with Poseidon, and maybe have a trident incorporated into the chapter symbol? Would love to see those colours on an actual test model though smile.gif

Calling their homeworld Poseidon as well would work, and provide an origin for their name. We think alike though in that their chapter symbol is a trident, of course that seems obvious enough that I don't know that I was being particularly original. I had done a rough test model in this scheme several years ago, and I'll see about scrounging up a picture.

Thanks for the comments so far everybody, it's definitely appreciated.

DIY! DIY! I like diy chapters can you tell? I like the Poseidon Legion scheme and name but i think the Mithril Drakes would really stand out as they are quite different. Do you happen to have any pics of the ones you painted up? If you do go with a GW chapter do one that is not very common. My 2 cents.

If the choice was for me ( A son of Dorn ), Id say Crimson Fist. But in your case I acctually voted for The Mentor Legion. Its true what you say, The Crimson Fists have somewhat exploded. In general if I would se a thread called "My Mentor Legion WIP" Id much rather check it out than another Crimson Fists-thread. The Mentor Legion has a really clean colourscheme and I imagine that one could pull it of great with the right detailes!

Go Mentor Legion! :)

Considering you like the old school chapters I would stick to one of those ....cough Crimson Fists cough...... Sorry chocked on a piece of candy :D. The mentor legion looks cool but the Owl logo is kinda .....Clash of the Titans is the best way to put it. What about the White Panthers chapter or Relictors chapter?

So my official vote is I guess Crimson Fists......but then again I may be biased.

DORN RULES!

Archived