Preheresy Landspeeder

madscuzzy

It has been a looong time since I have posted any minis up here. I have been working on stuff... just not at the rate that I'd like to... heh.

Truth be told, I have been working on my marines on and off, but have taken up other projects such as orks and terrain...

ANYWAYS... here is the latest project that I have been working on. Some of the more veteran players might recognise what they are based on. They may not be necessarily pre-heresy but they are of the previous gen...

http://scuzworks.com/SL40K/WIP/Landspeeders/TORNADO1.jpg

http://scuzworks.com/SL40K/WIP/Landspeeders/TORNADO2.jpg

http://scuzworks.com/SL40K/WIP/Landspeeders/TORNADO3.jpg

http://scuzworks.com/SL40K/WIP/Landspeeders/TYPHOON1.jpg

http://scuzworks.com/SL40K/WIP/Landspeeders/TYPHOON2.jpg

http://scuzworks.com/SL40K/WIP/Landspeeders/TYPHOON3.jpg

Now don't ask me when they will get painted. They will when they will... XD

Uhhhh, if it was pre-heresy, why do they have mark 7 power armor? :D

They may not be necessarily pre-heresy but they are of the previous gen...

Reading is fundamental.

Nice job on the conversion work.

The design is pre-heresy I guess, but it doesn't have to mean that it is pre-heresy does it? A lot of my current marines are going with an updated, more mordern PH design, or rather, 2nd ed designs, where its an amalgam of then and now, and functioning as now. Hmmm... take it that they found a stash of old stuff and incorporated them into their current arsenal...XD Also, if you note, the shoulder pads also signify that they are veterans, so I guess the older the speeder, the better it is, the better to assign it to vets?

VERY cool, certainly brings back memories of the old metal brick! Also, nothing to say a pre-heresy land speeder wouldn't still bee in use in the 41st Millennium. Im fairly sure the 'speeders used in the bulk of the heresy were the ones before this one, more like just a flying couch with a multi-melta, but im also pretty sure this pattern was developed during the heresy too, so this model could pretty much be anything you want!

Very nice conversions, brings back some semi-unpleasant memories of trying to put together the old metal Ravenwing speeder I used to have though. I wouldn't worry about not getting stuff painted, I'm forever building and tinkering with stuff that sits unpainted for ages, it's easier to do that than trying to paint when the kids are up :)

Great to see some other marines who aren't afraid of a little rocket exhaust as well :)

As for the pre/post heresy debate, I think since Marine chapters maintain vehicles and suits of armour for thousands and thousands of years you can easily say that they are 10,000 year old speeders crewed by contemporary veterans...

James

http://www.scuzworks.com/SL40K/WIP/Landspeeders/TORNADO1col.jpg

It wasn't a really cheap build, but it has parts that I thought would look good. You may of course, use your own descretion to which parts to use, should you want to build something similar.

Green - WW launcher vents

Blue - RW landspeeder (or any generic landspeeder)

Red - Scout speeder

Note that the nose armour is similar across the board, so you can use either. I used the SS one cuz I had old speeders, whose edges weren't as crisp (prollie old mold), so I used the SS one instead. The foot pedals came from the side pedals from the SS, and the top vent was the SS one chopped down in half.

Looks really nice. :)

One thing that has always puzzled me though is why the Imperium has never up-armoured the landspeeder (well apart from the forgeworld version). :P

From fluff it's because the Power Armour provides much better protection than sticking armour plates on it (which would result in a loss of speed), the armour is pretty much to hold it together and protect the flight instruments.

I like this style but a bit too expensive for my models

I think it's stated in the current codex entry for the Land Speeder that the armour was added to earlier patterns of speeders to protect the comparatively delicate flight instumentation as full power armour provided more than adequate protection for the pilot and co-pilot.

According to Imperial Armour II the Tempest (the FW one) forgoes the normal long range reconnisance and patrol role of the lighter speeders, fulfilling the role of a pure gunship instead. The Tempest was pioneered by the White Scars during the 'Evacuation of Barac' and was designed to provide fast moving support to attack bike squadrons. A flight of three Tempests was even credited with bringing down a Traitor Reaver Titan during the action.

The heavier armour and weapons loadout on the Tempest affected the manouverability speeder so it was decided that it would be crewed by a single Marine assisted by slaved targeting systems and a dedicated machine spirit. In the hands of a veteran pilot (again according to the current codex) the agility of the more mainstream patterns of Land Speeder more than compensates for them having lighter armour.

James

Reminds me a bit more of the original RT metal speeder than the 2E Speeder which is the one the Horus Heresy CCG artwork made iconic as the Pre-Heresy era speeder in my mind. :( But nice all the same!

Score!!!!!!!

I was planning on doing this myself but you made ite easier for me as I can just foow your parts list and follow your design..... My only comment that is negative about it is not he crew but the rear stablisers on the side should be moved to the mid section of the engine pod to do make more accurate of the 2nd edition pester one bit that doesn't really matter as it is still freaking awesome.

I took some artistic licensing on that and left it as the current speeder wing design. It gives an overall more sleek look to it IMHO. Also, there should be a fin at the bottom, which I left as the sensor. It still overall has the + look... but with a slight variance. :)

To be frank, the WW parts didn't have to be there. I just put those in cuz I like large vents (whether they work is another issue altogether...XD)

It wasn't a really cheap build, but it has parts that I thought would look good. You may of course, use your own descretion to which parts to use, should you want to build something similar.

Green - WW launcher vents

Blue - RW landspeeder (or any generic landspeeder)

Red - Scout speeder

Note that the nose armour is similar across the board, so you can use either. I used the SS one cuz I had old speeders, whose edges weren't as crisp (prollie old mold), so I used the SS one instead. The foot pedals came from the side pedals from the SS, and the top vent was the SS one chopped down in half.

Nice! Where are the rocket pods from that are pictured in later photos?

Land speeder storm cerebus launcher

and I am going to borrow you design when I do mine it is just so sweet!

I've been tempted to try to kit bash a tandem seat speeder, more like a moden gunship. However, that's alittle more than what my skills are up for.

that might look a bit like the Tau Piranha. Maybe use one as a base with IG Valkyrie cockpit?

Archived