Word Bearers apostle

jumai

I had a WIP for this guy on another board, but no one seemed to care. I've seen a lot of Word Bearers interest since running into Bolter&Chainsword though, so I figured I'd share again. I've just been getting back into the hobby recently, and taking painting seriously for the first time, so I'm pretty pleased with how he's turning out even though he isn't perfect.

Before the photos, I'll post the text I wrote earlier going over the conversion. The photo sets were shot at fairly arbitrary points, just whenever I stopped painting, and different sections of him recieved completely unrelated amounts of attention between each set. But still, they show the progression honestly and pretty clearly I think.

He is converted from the jump pack chaplain model. I just temporarily assembled him to get a look at the combined effect so far (the wings, star, left shoulderpad, and book are attatched with sticky tac).

The right arm's shoulderpad has been seriously reprofiled (the stock model has a large, raised eagle taking up the bottom half and spilling over the trim) and the belt-buckle plate needed close to 2mm of metal filed off before it was rid of an ornate Crux Terminatus. Attatching the horns necessitated my first ever purchase of epoxy putty. The left arm joint and the mounting surface for the backpack needed to be re-angled, the left arm itself was built up with putty so that the shoulderpad would sit correctly, the aquila on his right leg was removed, and obviously the head of the Crozius had to go (which required a hacksaw). Though he *looks* like just a few pieces have been switched around, it's actually been a ton of work to get him that way.

photo set 1 (I've since pretty much decided not to use the book)

gallery_55880_5095_81245.jpg

gallery_55880_5095_19799.jpg

gallery_55880_5095_31912.jpg

photo set 2 (shown with a Chosen for comparison)

gallery_55880_5095_7204.jpg

gallery_55880_5095_7925.jpg

photo set 3 (not much time this sitting)

gallery_55880_5095_1179.jpg

photo set 4

gallery_55880_5095_83890.jpg

gallery_55880_5095_27771.jpg

gallery_55880_5095_75851.jpg

photo set 5 (up to date at time of this posting)

gallery_55880_5095_182604.jpg

gallery_55880_5095_121041.jpg

C&C very welcome. Ideas on exactly how to approach the weapon haft would also be cool.

I haven't decided yet if I have the balls to try adding fine lines of script to all that parchment. I'd hate to ruin it, but it would look better with it. Ultimately, the left shoulder pads of the warband will all have lines of script over their identifying parchment coloured inset... if I ever work up the nerve, and don't change them in disgust after realizing it makes them look like Blood Ravens.

By the Four!

I cannot understand how you didn't recieve any comments on this mini when you posted it up before... it's fantastic.

From the brilliantly blended colours to the simple looking (although I understand it wasn't easy to do) conversion there isn't anything I don't like. I really think you should try and add scripture to him as it will add another level to this mini. What you could try is practicing on a spare/scrap bit of plastic, or even some paper (although the paint will behave differently on the paper).

I actually want to make one of these right now. That's how cool it is... I look forward to seeing more of this mini

James

Wow. That is some tremendously high praise. Thank you very much, sirs.

edit: actually, even though I haven't had a chance to work on him since the last pictures, I can still show off something cool. The green for the eyes that I added in the last photo set, though the image doesn't really convey the fact, is a minor cheatz. It's actually a flourescent acryllic paint looted from the girlfriend's art supply stores (system 3 brand, toothpaste tube style packaging), which gives it an extra bright hi-lighter sort of character. I find the high light value makes it great for eye lenses.

Of course, the *real* purpose to using such a paint will not be observed unless you live ass deep in blacklights. Which I do.

gallery_55880_5095_64701.jpg

...and his eyes glow that is sick. Good job.

...I won't lie, the first time I set up a model with uv-reactive eyes on a blacklight display, I was pretty pleased with myself. There's just something archetypal about glowing eyes that peer out from the dark...

gallery_55880_5095_219426.jpg

okay that is cool, but what happens when you got to sleep

They stare at him... slowly perverting him to chaos...

thats why you shouldn't paint chaos model without a fully painted Inquisition retinue by your side!

Good job jumai!

Small update. I've done a fair amount of painting... but since I sat down to do so after getting home from my Dark Heresy campaign, I'd been working on the model I bought to use as my acolyte. Eventually, things reached a point where it felt like the thing to do was try to put something on the pages of his book... so I summoned up my courage and my favorite kolinsky sable, made the attempt, and was actually very pleased with how it turned out.

So I decided while I was on a roll, I'd do the parchments on my apostle. These I don't think turned out as nicely, and some had to be covered over and fixed (the weird ripply angles that required him held in funny ways did me in), but at the end of it all I don't hate it and I think he looks better than he did.

The images are kinda crumby, I know. I included the inquisitor I'd been painting since he was mentioned.

gallery_55880_5095_132262.jpg

gallery_55880_5095_579924.jpg

gallery_55880_5095_578560.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've been away from home a ton lately, so for a while not much happened.

But when the plastic DP got released, I decided I had too much money anyway, and impulse-bought a box of Chaos Bits... I mean, Chaos Knights. And I was never really quite content with the star I was going to use for his dark crozius. To me, the bionics on the skull seemed inappropriate for a holy relic, I didn't like how it looked so unbalanced and un-deadly, and I kept wanting to call it his chaos badminton raquet.

So I've cooked up something a little different. Improvement?

gallery_55880_5095_12805.jpg

gallery_55880_5095_302739.jpg

I disagree with the first point, as I like how spikey the new club-thing is. I will agree with the second, as I miss his book. That was pretty cool. Annnnnyway... yeah. Great model. And, needless to say, the glowing eyes are chock-full of badass-ery.

• 3 weeks later...

For a while I considered adding a weighted pole to the bottom side of the new weapon, to sort of make it into a staff/mace hybrid and more closely resemble an icon. However, the slight largeness has grown on me (I don't think the pictures here quite do it justice); I smile when I think of the mutated, Chaos-infused Astartes physiology it would take to swing something like that around. So it stays, and I'm calling him done.

I've been without internet access for most of August, but I haven't been completely unable to paint. I'm planning to start an ongoing WIP thread for my Word Bearers, which I'll link to when I've had time to set it up. But for now, here's a peek at what I've been working on while "off the grid"...

gallery_55880_5095_1590130.png

• 2 weeks later...

Well, despite care and packaging, our friend here lost the end of his Crozius in the move. It isn't lost, but it IS causing me to be indecisive about the mace/star issue again. I think I'll paint up the chaos icon and post comparison shots...

Also, the thread for my Daemon Prince WIP is underway. The picture of him I posted here is actually of the stage previous to the first photo series he gets in his thread, so consider it a sneak peak.

• 7 months later...

Hey everyone.

I know this is an old thread now, but I've recently gone back to touch up, fix, and finish off those last few things on this model (even the weapon rebuild!) I'm really extremely pleased with the final product.

He looks a bit brighter here than he does in person, but at least they're clear photos. mmm, closure.

gallery_55880_5095_29315.jpg

gallery_55880_5095_20520.jpg

Gotta say, the star he's ended up with was the better choice, I reckon. The other looked kinda unwieldy. Also, nice paintjobs here. :D

Oh nooooooo! I thought the Knight mace was brilliant! I'm surprised that no one suggested that you simply trim the plastic part of the shaft to make it shorter and less unwieldy. Either that, or find one of the Dark Angels' round censer bitz to stick on the pommel as a Grimaldus-style counterweight, which is what I'd have done. Especially that particular one with the pointy bottom, it would have been killer.

Also, you should do something with that round stomach-plate...skulls are standard and always good, but you could scrawl a Chaos star with uneven arms on it, or whatever you like.

Aside from that stuff, it seems like all that's left is highlighting the solid red armor sections--I would suggest putting a dab of metallic paint into whatever highlight color you use, to give the armor a faintly metallic sheen (looks like you already started something similar on your Prince's legplate). Don't forget your shoulderplate insignias either!

I think I may have spotted this when you originally put it up. I would have commented on it if I owned an account there, but unfortunately I didn't, so I owe you an emphatic and much-deserved Well Done! It's a brilliant and marvelously-executed concept, and does credit to all of us who spread the Word of Chaos.

Archived