Stripping models

Hi

As such, Simple Green is not available in UK shops, but I'm sure it can bought on the internet. I can reccommend using Dettol (the brown one) or Mr Muscle kitchen cleaner. Just put your minis in a jar, pour Dettol or Mr Muscle over until completely covered. Leave for about 24hrs, then rinse off with water and an old toothbrush to brush off any bits of paint. They are both good on metal or plastic minis, but the Mr Muscle smells a bit better.

So does Dettol TBH... Use gloves when using Dettol, it really wrinkes up your skin after prolonged exposure..

As for Simple green - its actually MADE HERE IN THE UK..

You can buy it direct from the manf (thansk to Bro Argos for this info..) although its a little steep a bottle goes a LONG way...

Ive been using Sainsburys own floor cleaner.

You get a litre for something like 99p

Ive just dropped 20 assult marines Ive picked up off ebay into a tub of it.

The metal ones were completely stripped in a day and the plastic ones are done now too but at the moment Im too lazy to scrub them all.

At that price its worth a go.

Leave for about 24hrs, then rinse off with water and an old toothbrush to brush off any bits of paint. They are both good on metal or plastic minis, but the Mr Muscle smells a bit better.

I usually use Dettol, and it works great on metal minis. But on plastic minis I have what I presume is the paint turning into a VERY sticky goo, that is VERY hard to get rid of, even with a decent toothbrush. It sticks to hands, mini, containers, sink, etc. and even washing with soap doesn't remove it. I also get the reaction with metal minis, but somehow it doesn't stick to the metal so badly as it does to the plastic. The goo seems to be a reaction with the water, I don't get that kind of reaction with just dettol and a toothbrush.

Has anybody else experienced this phenomenom, or does anybody know how to prevent it? I use both GW and Army Painter primers, and mostly GW paints.

[/hijack :P ]

Basically look for anything with Glycol Ethers. These occur in Simple Green, Fairy, Oven Cleaner, Brake Fluid, and other such sources. Be wary, some disputed health reports state that it lowers your sperm count...as if the good lord had enough fun bullying the nerds, right?

thanks for the reply's guys.

I went out and got some dettol did a set strip and it worked great. Just doing the first full batch of models now. I have noticed it comes of in one slim like substance and then if you mix that with water it becomes sticky. But it can be easily avoided if your careful not to get it wet before you have most of the paint off.

AC

I'd try cleaning with white spirit afterwards or nail polish remover 9same stuff, different smell..), the slime is horrible and icky TBH... and NEVER comes away cleanly, whereas Simple Green is better for that sort of thing. I only ever strip metal models now with dettol,. plastics always go into simple green (I have one tub of each in the bottom of teh garden)

Archived