THe Stormraven

ps209

Any ideas about when modle will be released or if it will be released at all? If not i will scratch build any ideas pictures? Scale im thinking two land raders with wings maybe two and half land raiders

The rules sort of make it a mini thunderhawk, (compared to apoc book) and this person did a great job getting that idea across

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/show...6330&page=2

I far as I can tell, it is a land raider and Valkyrie conversion.

GW hasn't released any pictures because everything they do has to be hush-hush :D

If I had to guess when it would come out, I would have to say with the GK codex, since they are specifically mentioned in the fluff, which is rumored either in August or December, but most likely December.

Either that, or it will be forge world...

I've always, and continue to, hate the idea the stormraven has to be a "mini-thunderhawk". This is a great opportunity for GW, and gamers, to step out of the same old same old and actually use some imagination. I hope quite a bit the new model when released will indeed look very little like any T-hawk.

For the sake of honesty, the linked model for the stormraven looks like crap. Sorry if that makes you mad, I just don't like it and if you're going to put it out in public you should be ready for both the positive and the negative.

@lokied: I actually like the idea of the mini thunderwawk, but everyone has different opinions. In fact, the stormraven I made is completely made from the Valk kit, and looks nothing like a thunderhawk.

Your opinion about the link doesn't bother me at all, since it is not mine, I just thought the current version of it on page 2 looked for what I was trying to explain. I wasn't even looking for thunderhawk looking conversions when I stumbled across it, I was looking at his blood talon conversions.

Edit: Now this is something that does irritate me. You said the SR in the link looked like crap, what about made it that way? I hate when people drop the "it just is" statement. Leave your reasons so people who do like the idea can further improve their own skills. If you are just saying that because you don't like the concept or can't come up with ways to improve it, don't leave a comment.

Not trying to be mean, but it does irritate me.

I am planning on converting this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v429/BulldogUK/Stormeagle1.jpg

INTO THIS.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v429/BulldogUK/StormEagle1-1.jpg

But I am removing the giant feet and probably shortening the tail a bit.

I've heard rumours that a Stormraven will be released with an up coming new =][= Codex, As the Gray Knights are specifically mentioned as using them. Not sure how true that is though.

However. Here is WiP pic of what I'm currently working on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/Khabjte/Blood%20Angels/DSC00370.jpg

Hope this helps :(

CTK

• 1 month later...

This is what Stickmonkey from Warseer says about how the StormRaven will look like

I draw parallels to something between a "Aliens" drop ship and a imperial lightning. But it's definately got the style of the astartes/imperium. "baby thunderhawk?" Maybe if you squint at it in a dark room...

The Caestus wuold be an expensive way to go IMO. That LR/Valk conversion looks ok TBH, I like some elements, and othhers are a bit meh - like teh Dread clamps and the box-like superstruture, as well as sitting the pilot so high up.

Here's a picture of mine with my BoLScon army. After driving 30 hours back to DC, my girlfriend promptly knocks it off my painting table, and it shatters into 10+ pieces. Someday I'll repair it, until then this is the only picture of it.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_8uuNU51tIyk/TFQs_NtJxKI/AAAAAAAADt0/7ib6YXZC_H4/s800/IMG_1001.JPG

Keep in mind this was built and painted in about 10 hours, so it was a rush job unfortunately.

• 1 month later...

Yea the whole mini T-hawk thing is a bit ludicrous, its meant to be a fast and agile drop ship with formidable armaments.

Like a harrier which drops in 10 guys and a Dread, blows stuff up and is gone before anyone saw it.

There are a few nice conversions, but I am definately not a fan of the LR conversions. It throws the fast and agile concept out the window and is basically the typical lack of imagination that GWS seems to foster.

I mean is it just me who finds it kind of rediculous that the most basic concept for the design of tanks is the angle at which all its armour is raked to effectively greatly increase its stopping power (thickness) and durability, and yet in 40k a universe of war, humans have yet to realise what the most simple maths equation can prove???

The Valk conversions are generally the best, despite the many cries of "the cockpit doesn't look like a SM design", but honestly its basically meant to be a hybrid fighter/transport, not a lumbering armoured vehicle (as evidenced by av12).

I've also heard strong rumours we will see a SR released by GWS in the next few months, regardless of any GK release.

I am planning on converting this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v429/BulldogUK/Stormeagle1.jpg

INTO THIS.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v429/BulldogUK/StormEagle1-1.jpg

But I am removing the giant feet and probably shortening the tail a bit.

While cool this doesnt really look much like a space marine craft, more an imp guard one. I would tend to stay away from the toys r us style conversions.

Yea the whole mini T-hawk thing is a bit ludicrous, its meant to be a fast and agile drop ship with formidable armaments.

Like a harrier which drops in 10 guys and a Dread, blows stuff up and is gone before anyone saw it.

There are a few nice conversions, but I am definately not a fan of the LR conversions. It throws the fast and agile concept out the window and is basically the typical lack of imagination that GWS seems to foster.

I mean is it just me who finds it kind of rediculous that the most basic concept for the design of tanks is the angle at which all its armour is raked to effectively greatly increase its stopping power (thickness) and durability, and yet in 40k a universe of war, humans have yet to realise what the most simple maths equation can prove???

The Valk conversions are generally the best, despite the many cries of "the cockpit doesn't look like a SM design", but honestly its basically meant to be a hybrid fighter/transport, not a lumbering armoured vehicle (as evidenced by av12).

I've also heard strong rumours we will see a SR released by GWS in the next few months, regardless of any GK release.

You do realize that the Stormraven is described as the Thunderhawk's brother in the codex yeah? Or did you just skip that part? As for the armour slanting rant you do understand this is a game full of flaws like this. But for arguements sake, by increasing the slant of the armour you do make it more effective from hits at a low trajectory but you also greatly reduce the amount of room inside a vehicle. Seing as most of the SM vehicles are based on transports maybe the size of the vehicle compared to its troop carying ability is more of a concern? Take a look at an average heavily aroured APC and you will see the armour is no where near is slanted as current tanks, it depends on the role of the vehicle. A landraider is primarily a transprt vehicle the predator was based off the rhino and maybe the inter of its hull is filled with electronics engines ammo, pilots so in order to slant the armour more they would physically have to enlarge the vehicle making transport or manouvorability more of an issues. If you want to point out rediculous things like this take a look at the most widely used weapon in 40k by players, the boltgun. It has caseless ammo by being practically a mini rocket launcher yet all the models displace ejection ports for cases? Get over it dude and paint some cool ass tanks and boltguns! Oh and one more thing, yes the Stormraven is meant to be a smaller lighter craft with vectored engines but your point about AV 12 actually goes against what you are saying as Thunderhawk also has AV 12.. Hmmm maybe they are saying something here??? Do some research next time. I'll bet you the SR looks more like a thunderhawk than a valkyrie when it comes out.

Regards

Crynn

yes, you are the only person... It may surprise you to know that the people who make the minis arn't armor designers, they make cool looking and fun to paint minis... personly i'd hate to see a completly raked tank for the sm... some days realism loses to what looks good for the army (as the usual statement goes, we have genetic super mutantns in power armor fighting demons with chain saws, and you are worried about the realism of a tank that has laz and plasma cannons?) ;)

First off, it drops 12 guys ;)

This was funny and I just had to comment because I just got done with a disscussion about how math equations dont hold in Warhammer, I belive my exact response was "if you tried to pull that math equation s*** with me, I would smack you with said bloodthirster!" haha B)

*disclaimer for the internet sensitive*

This post was not meant to be derogatory in any sense, just fun.

The armour efficiency was not the main contributing factor in rhino chassis design. It was modular production and it's all-purpose role core. ie. flat panel production to make a box best suited to packing bodies of super soldiers: Packing, deploying and mobilizing them.

Angled vehicles waste cargo volume for deployment, reducing concentration of forces.

Versus high end energy weapons, an angled attack incidence isn't likely to be so beneficial as to change the design paradigm of a small, massed produced troop transport.

A low orbit/atmospheric delivery system (the Stormraven) would be more efficient the more streamlined it is... but as it is most probably following a similar philosophy to the rhino chassis paradigm, ie. Many are packed in holds of warp capable ships, I'd expect it to be blocky again. Guard on the other hand tend to well, guard... ie, their fliers tend to be stationed on the ground where space is not an issue and efficiency leans toward fuel/speed and armour efficacy which produces smooth angled surfaces.

In short, I think Stormravens will impress us with their flying brick-ness.

Archived