Honour Guard

I gotta say, I'd drop two of those storm shields and get a fist or a hammer in there. The storm shields are great, but having that many in a small unit is redundant, not too mention with wound allocation you can normally place all the armor ignoring wounds on the two storm shields anyways. Also, that unit is too much of an in your face offensive squad to not have a fist or hammer in it. That squad relies on being close to deal out punishment, and one wrong tactical move or mistake could see that unit getting tangled up with something you really don't wanna get tangled up with w/o a fist/hammer. Things like Tyranid MC's, wraithlords(god I hate those things), dreads, TWC Wolf Lords, and nobbikers will eat that unit alive w/o at least one.

Just my 2 cents.

Right well to above comments this unit performed well today helping me table the nid player who tabled me yesterday. Killed a Trigon and routed some gaunts off and obj.

New one is:

Honour Guard w/SS/Melta/JP

Honour Guard w/SS/Fist/JP

Priest

300pts.

I'm very interested in how this unit goes.

I need a unit that will stop and hold the enemy's best CC unit I can assault with another RAS squad to combine and wipe them out.

I'm all JP so don't have a shooty army that can whittle them down. I've got to go in and get them in CC.

For me I'm building:

Honour Guard w/SS/PW/JP

Honour Guard w/SS/PW/JP

Honour Guard w/SS/LC/JP

Priest

I've maxed the SS but will tone it down if necesary once I begin play testing to get the right balance.

Ideally:

Honour Guard w/SS/JP

Honour Guard w/SS/JP

Honour Guard w/2xLC/JP

Honour Guard w/Fist/JP

Priest

Banner

Priest

300pts.

Better. You've got a mighty fine tarpit there boy. I can see it doing damage to units over time, especialy as they have 3+/FNP and 3++ with 12" of movement and guns to pop tanks. Not to mention the ability to Deep Strike and bag troublesome tanks.

They might even be able to tie up a Thunderwolf Lord in combat for more than a turn. :P

Personally I don't subscribe to the idea that if something is really expensive it isn't worth the points. You had better use it well. Several units require you to spend a lot of points to make them good.

The honor guard is NOT worth it's points if you DON'T make it expensive otherwise assault squads are better at basic assault and vehicle destruction, vanguards are better at deep strike assaulting and tying up support units. Death company are better at dice spamming people to death. Assault terminators are better at deathstar, big-thing, and elite killing.

The issue is if you don't gear them task specifically and use them task specifically, they won't be any good. As stated they're 5 guys, they're too small to be used general purpose. My honor guard setup costs 365 points, sometimes they kill it back, sometimes they don't. One thing is for certain they're always tough to kill and a very feared unit on the field. They fill the specific role of elite killer in my force (a much needed role against my common opponents) like assault terminators do, but without costing me an elite slot or land raider, accurate deep strike options, and non-transport mobility.

Rant aside, some things cost a lot and give back a lot, that isn't always a bad thing.

I'm glad that your unit performed well today. I think that the HG is a fine unit yet I think that a 290 points, your is a bit too pricey and as many have said is a little undepowered in combat. I think that you should add a PF or Hammer and take a max of 2 meltaguns.

I also think that 4 shields is perhaps 2 too many. I mean marines with SS go down just like their common powered armoured brothers to small arms fire just the same. If these guys are forced to make a ton of saves, even cc attacks they will perish very fast and your 290 points will have vanished.

3+,3++, FNP rolls, and they are designed to be an anti tank/bogging unit.

If you let them get torrented, your doing something wrong.

If you put them in a position to fight a squad of generic forces that can put out lots of attacks (unless you need them specifically bogged down) your doing something wrong.

If you think they should be killing heaps of stuff in combat then you just don't understand the concept.

And if you think they are too expensive then your obviously not listening.

Its been talked over many times, this is basically the anvil, except its got anti tank flexibility, which is good, that many meltas should kill a raider and radically bog down anything inside which basically makes their points back.

A jump army can't take Termies, they are too slow, they don't want to get raiders as they don't fit the list type, and sanguinary guard are nice, but no invulnerable makes them totally useless in this role. There really isn't that many other options that are viable in a jumper army.

What the Above said ^^ they are for tarpitting and generaly causing havoc. They will be getting another run through tomorrow against an all Berzerker army consisting of:

2x2 groups of Obliterators

9 Berzerkers in rhino w/fist

9 Berzerkers w/Fist, w/ Khârn in Land Raider.

You're playing the Zerk rush tomorrow? Bring the camera and let us know how you get on. If your opponent starts to well up because Khârn does nothing then take a pic please. Just for me.

Pop his Rhinos with the Devs, the Raider with Melta (HG will do it) and use the VanVets to tie up his Oblits. That should be game right there as you've killed his mobility and tied up his fire support.

That was exactly what my plan was. I guess great minds think alike :P. Of course you know who it is and he lost to D'd Nids today with very poor rolling on his part. Land raider sat there shooting till the nids got clode then around T.4 when he went to move he got it immobilized while pivoting.

Lovely unit, practically the same as the honour guard I build a few months ago, pair these with Dante for accurate DS and hit and run will make them VERY nasty I should think, once my Space wolf army is finished I am really looking forward to finishing my fluffy BA army that consists of 5 honour guard, 20 sanguinary guard, Dante and the sanguinor and trying them out for myself.

Had 2 of my very favourite games today that i have ever played with my BA. 1 Against the Zerk List and 1 against Rory's Guard list consisting of :

3 Plasma Sentinels

Pask in Vanquisher w/Lascannon (lolled at this as i had Inf.)

2 Vendetta Gunships

1 Valk w/ Psyker Primus with 9 or 10 vets with 3 Flamers.

Chimera w/ Stubbers, H.Bolters, 10 man vets Squad with 3 Flamers, Fist.

Chimera w/ Stubbers, H.Bolters, 10 man vets Squad with 3 Flamers.

Chimera w/ Stubbers, H.Bolters, 10 man vets Squad with 3 Melta's.

Plasma Executioner.

Honour Guard Performed very well but think i might add more CC power.

I will have batrep of the Zerk game up tomorrow with half the games turns in pics as batteries ran out and could only take half of 'em.

Result was a loss agains the Zerk force as everything was going to plan and then Khârn got released from his cage. I tought i had lost the Guard game after losing both dev squads 1st turn but then things went my way for the rest of it with heroic actions from the vanguard being quite funny. Then he tank shocked a lot last 2 turns and made my squad holding the objective run away :cuss

Archived