Which CC dread would you chose?

WarpWalker

Hello everyone,

Please tell my in your experience which dread survived the longest and or if you haven't used both. How well did yours hold up to the pressure.

The Furioso dread has better armor, the red thirst and a higher WS. The Death company dread has fleet, none can stay my wrath, furious charge, rage

and more attacks.

They are used the same way moving from enemy squad to enemy squad ripping them apart. But what wins out here? The better stat line or better

special rules?

Weapons and equipment aside. Which would out preform the other in survival.

Thanks, for reading my topic and I hope for your best input so I can make the best decision.

josh

I've been having great success with drop podding a furioso into enemy lines. I've equipped mine with a meltagun, heavy flamer and blood talons, I drop him usually at one of the enemy flanks and then let the furioso shoot a tank or flame a horde of troops weak to heavy flamers. The drop pod and Furioso can easily prevent a large part of the enemy from firing at the rest of the army that rushes forward to support it. Against heavy infantry the furioso + blood talons is awesome. I've seen him rip through a full sized squad of korn bezerkers and a chaos lord without much effort. Tanks aren't a problem either, rear armor is usually pretty easy to take out with S6 if you're meltagun hasn't finished the tank already.

I don't like the DC dread very much, it's the same base price but you need a 100 points of death company (plus equipment since the DC aren't that useful without at least a powerfist, a power weapon and a transport). And then it also suffors from black rage, no control over something like a dread is a major disadvantage, even if you drop it right on top of its target. Added to that I think that the AV13 is a must against powerfists (and almosts every squad seems to have those nowadays).

At this point it's a toss up between a Furioso and a Furioso Librarian for me. The DCF is cute, don't get me wrong. But I think it's better suited to higher PV games where you can bring 3 Drop Pods (DC, DCF and something else for later in the game) and then let them loose in the backfield. And wether or not you put on anything beyond the Heavy Flamer upgrade is pure personal preference, and wether or not you've got nothing else to spend those points on.

The regular Furioso with Extra Armor, Blood Talons, Heavy Flamer and the Magna Grapple is as close to a perfect CC Dreadnought as is to be found in the game. A little weak in the Dread vs Dread CC arena, but that's why you've got two S8 shooting attacks. And what one of these puppies can do to most anything with a T is a beauty to behold.

But the Librarian has mobility (Wings of Sanguinius) and flexibility (other psy power plus option to cause ID regardless of T) combined with LD10 psychic defenses. For my purposes having Might of Heroes on a S10, WS6, AV13, A2(3) monster is quite satisfying. Being able to slam into a fight with 4-7 attacks is great. Small squads evaporate and anything with an AV is in a world of hurt. Even large squads aren't going to enjoy the fact that you get those extra attacks every round of combat.

I think the DC version is the best with fleet, furious charge and an extra attack plus the equivalent of extra armor all built in. The drawback is you have to take a squad of DC which I have found to be non competitive. So my choice I'd the Furioso and I run him in a Stormraven for protection and the best mobility.

0b :teehee:

I prefer the DC. Keep it cheap and field 2. The 3 droppod unit will a honour guard with plasmaguns to remove melta weapons on one flank. Am planning to field them with a deathstar lemartes unit.

T.

I've been running one of each, both with heavy flamers and blood talons in drop pods. The Furioso also has the extra armor and a magna-grapple. That way I can drop in either one on first turn depending on needs.

The dreadnoughts are truly the hammer in my games. They are a serious threat to all infantry, the furioso even to TH/SS termies, and a threat to all armor with the meltagun. The DC dread is super fast with fleet so I can drop it a bit farther away to stay out of half melta range and pop smoke. I frequently use the dreads on a flank, and the rest of my army separately. The dreads are more then capable of clearing a flank all by themselves.

personally, I've seen little difference between the 2, except vs S7 shooting like Hydras. I've occasionally made use of the ignored shaken of the DC, being able to take some hits and keep shooting. The extra attack on the DC is also nice, as the only time Talons fail is when you roll bad on the initial hit.

As soon as I can afford it, I'm getting another furioso and drop pod.

I needed some power weapon goodness in my army and added 5 DC, 4 Power axes, 1 Thunderhammer, Chappy and a rhino. This overfilled a void of bastards making armor saves on me, and allowed me to field a DC Dread. I've played with both, and let me tell ya.......that guy is a monster. I turn 1 slagged a baneblade with him in spearhead, then ran amok on everything.

Smaller games, I dunno, but he's pure genious in large games. I always field 4 full 10 man RaS with Jump packs, and points permitting, 3 vindi's, 3 Baal Preds. I may be outnumbered and out armored in games this big, but with dreads on 1 side, 3 vindi's with 40 JP's following, melta in tow in the front, and Baal preds on the other side,......

Gabriel Seth's enemies are left with 1 option. Pick your poison. Much to my approval, the Vindi's take the blunt of all firing. This let's my DC and Furioso dread meet the Assault squads in the middle without fear of my own pie plates when they reach the enemy.

I love both dreads. The DC is the fast berserker, while the Furioso is the hulking brute. Only thing I'd ask is, my kingdom for Venerable.........

In a perfect world, at the perfect time and place, and perfectly played, when you were already planning to field a Death Company, the DC Dread may have the advantage but otherwise it's a slam dunk for the Furioso. Let me break it down:

1) NoneCanStandMyWrath 'vs' Furioso with 'extra armour': most of the time the real result of either rule is the same as neither dread really has any long range weapon/potential.

2) Fleet : +1 for DC dread but really, except for the turn in which you assault, either dread can still run every turn... so it's basically an extra D6" once a game if it lives that long.

3) Any CC dread is gonna tie up and destroy pretty much any unit - the tricky part is getting into assault before getting shot down.

4) Furious Charge = useless... even with Talons the DC Dread was already wounding most units on a 2+ and the Furioso has better WS. The initiative bonus is also a waste as most weapons that can hurt the dread hit at Init-1 anyway. That said, the Furioso has 'red thirst' so he could potentially get FC also for all the little good it might do.

5) the Furioso has armour-13 : major ++

6) the DC dread has 'rage' : major - -

7) the furioso is an elite: +1 as our elites are nicely organized in this codex... we can still take 3 priests as a single elite choice

8) the Dc dread takes up a troop slot, and is non-scoring: -1 ...we have awesome troops now; also we are required to take another non-scoring troop choice at a minimum of 100points just to field this dread.

The DC dread does have more intimidation factor but for me it's either both (just for fun) or just a Furioso.

Chaplain Gunzhard, thanks for laying it out so directly. Looking at the list you made, it makes good sense as to why you pick the Furioso over

the Death Company dread. I happen to now agree with you. :)

Archived