YIKES! BIKES! - WIP

Morticon

Here are some WIP shots of the new squad i'll be adding to my list that I will be taking to the South African Nationals in September.

They are by no means done, but just an indication of where im going.

They are at least "fieldable" now.

Need to do the detail work and highlighting now.

http://a.imageshack.us/img836/3375/img1547h.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img340/5250/img1545zd.jpg

The squad :

http://a.imageshack.us/img163/8452/img1550so.jpg

Comments welcome.

Gotta love that DA Ravenwing box set ;) The winged armor plate works out nicely for the BA, wish I coulda done the same for my BT ;)

Is that a Techmarine or a Sang priest with the sword? Universally red armor makes it a bit hard to tell. If he's a techy, he's lacking quite a few extra grabby/punchy/shooty limbs :)

Seems to be a solid start, should be real nasty when completed.

Thanks for the kind words gents! Lots of work still to be done!

The duder with the white robe is def. a Priest. I wanted to put the narthicium/reductor on him, but that sword was just too cool, and i was too impatient to go hacking it up and changing it to the other hand.

My priests dont rock grails either, they rock the reductor- i dont like the concept of the grail giving FNP - but i may have to try model it somewhere on the bike - its also why i went with two grail shoulder pads and the apoth back pack.

The other thing i was in two minds about was the helmet colour. I wanted the robe to be white, but if that was white and the helmet i dont know how good it would have looked. Hopefully it will work when together.

Here are the close ups James - remember- still early days- so theres a LOT of scrappy painting here ><;

http://a.imageshack.us/img838/2168/img1551xt.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img413/1229/img1552v.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img248/1743/img1553l.jpg

Ive modified my list from the list that got me 3rd place in the regional run ups. I've only used them twice so far (still busy play testing) but in both games I tabled the opponents. 4th turn and 5th turn respectively.

More play testing this Sat.

BO-

We play 1650 down here oddly.

Im currently rocking this:

Mephiston

Priest- PW, Meltabomb, Bike

10 TAC - Fist, Flamer, Lascannon

RHINO

8 RAS - Thunder Hammer, Melta - JP

5 RAS - Pwr Weapon, Melta

RAZORBACK - LC/TLPG

BAAL - HBSS

PRED - LCSS

5 Bikers - 2 Plas Gun, Fist w/ Attack Bike - MM

3 ATK BIKE - 2MM, 1HB

This will be the last competitive tournament down here I play in with Mephiston. He will be temporarily retired after this event! But until then, ass kickin season is open!

Oohh Tactical over RAS......curious; do you like Combat Squad them or something? I can imagine Tacts being good at holding an objective but the flamer isn't exactly an objective-sitting weapon.

Dammit, you made me tempted (and I probably would succumb) to buy the Ravenwing box...

One thing I've never understood about Space Marine bikes (other than iirc the 13th Company ones) is why can't GW just give them a freaking CCW, given that bikers haven't had to use "one hand to steer the bike" since 3rd ed. Would up their killyness by a decent amount.

That said, I can see the temptation to field them; after all they are just 9 points more than a naked Tactical Marine for that nice 12" move, Relentless Plasmaguns, Turbo Boost and +1T. Oh, and not to mention the bikes also have that TL-Bolter.......

Very interesting list with the large portion of the bikes. What do you find that your bikes have the best to offer this list?

0b ;)

BO-

Before the biker squad, I had a few different combinations of things instead of them. What I found was I was lacking one of two things, either more shooty or more fighty.

The first incarnation had 2 more attack bikes and a flamey baal (no sponsons).

The second incarnation had a drop talon dread and a full 10 man RAS.

I wasnt happy with the above combos for various reasons.

Additionally, the list has been meta-ed for my environment. The top players are IG, Daemons, SW and the danger list is Mephiston BA.

The bikers will help LOADS with IG and Daemons. They will also be a headache for SW players and the 5 AP2 shots at 12" is enough to at least start putting the hurt on Mephy.

I feel that the mobility, firepower and sturdiness are worth every penny.

Joasht -

Yup yup. TACs are the core of my list. At 10man size, the cost break mech RAS gives you a lot less. Tacticals are exactly that - tactical. I can use them for a variety of situations. I almost never combat squad them unless im playing against IG. The bulky squads are much more beneficial. Also, the lascannon out of the rhino is like the Spanish inquisition - no one expects it.

A little curious; whats the point of putting in 1 HB into a squad of 3 Attack Bikes, two of which have MM? Chances are what you are shooting the MM at would be nearly or completely invulnerable to the HB.

Thats for wound allocation. Ive saved countless bases running this configuration!

If you go over DT and roll two ones fr example, if means you lose 1 whole base.

Also, the versatility of that unit means its a threat to any unit- not just vehicles. Your attack bikes are a high priority threat for most mech lists and as a result will get fired on. The HB is usually the first to go in this case.

Midnight,

I use a base of white, then quite a few coats of golden yellow, then inks, then golden again with sunburst highlights. What you see in the pic is just the golden yellow with a drowning of devlan mud.

And all those ACs are going onto Razors! hehehe

Archived