Varyag Wolves?

Kreon

I've just inherited a number of Space Wolf squads from a friend of mine, all unpainted. I was considering what I wanted to do with them and was struck by the idea of making a force themed after the Varangian Guard. My current idea is to have them be all wolfy, but with a few honor badges won during service alongside the Ultramarines (I figure Ultramar is similar enough to Byzantium in the Universe).

I guess my question would be is this taboo, and if not do any of the great companies already have anything similar in place?

Well, something similar enough is the Deathwatch- but you wont find a full Great Company there :wacko:.

Hrmm... if only I could remember his name. IIRC Theres a Wolf Lord on the eastern fringe who sent word he wouldnt be coming back- the distance is to far and the Tyranid threat to great. Sounds like he could be your man.

do it. the varagian guard is one of my favorite warrior groups in history as well as being simply awesome. but if you do you should make a wolfguard battle leader based on harold hardrada.

I am. I've decided to name him Sigurd Hardrada just to make the reference a little more subtle (Hardrada's true name was Harald Sigurdson.)

I'm also working on a marine with a ML based on Hodr.

As far as colors go, I've decided to use Codex grey as my base armor color, and replacing the the traditional left shoulder scheme with a grey shoulder with gold trim, bearing a crimson wolf's head marked with the laurels. Any thoughts on this? I think it gets the theme across without being overly blunt.

There is actually a planet called 'Byzanthis' in the short story 'Call of the Lion' in the novel 'Tales of Heresy'. I wont give away any spoilers, but im sure it wouldn't be to hard to make some fluff involving that story ;)

Heh I've ben working a similar theme for over a year now. Soon it'll come to fruition. I've called mine the Varyags of Miklagaard VII. Not very original but it's a homage to a great song,a great band, and some awesome history. Basic premise during one of the last Great Hunts, this Great Company went off guided by a dream the Rune Priest had, and they ended up on Miklagaard VII. Nevertheless, they ended up staying longer then anticipated, as there was a very long term 'Nid invasion/infestation. Didn't help that the orks under the Sooltan Mad Mekh II, the Krusher of Worlds came around. Needless to say, they have yet to return to the Fang and have been gone for many, many years.

Varyags of Miklagaard is a great song. My inspiration actually came while I was reading my old issues of Northlanders the day after my box arrived.

As of this point I have 2 squads of Grey Hunters assembled and primed with 1 marine finished and several more in progress, as well as a completed lone wolf. I have 10 half built Blood Claws on my table, Lukas assembled, Njal Stormcaller assembled and primed. Later this week I'll get up some pictures of them.

Archived