The slowest Crimson Fist project log ever.

Leonidus

Greetings brothers!

I just recently decided to return to the 40k universe after a 6-7 year hiatus (lets just say that my Sus-an Membrane kicked in and I was in a state of suspended animation ;) ) Since leaving the hobby I sold/gave away everything be it paint, miniatures, vast array of bitz, codexes, huge collection of white dwarf back issues etc etc :( so this will literally be an army from scratch!

I hope this thread will be a place for any W.I.P or developments in this new project and will hopefully show an interesting look at the progression that I go through as a hobbyist as I try and learn to paint/model/game again!

One thing I have noticed is the massive price increase that GW have gone through! I understand inflation but £22.50 for a tactical squad! I can remember when the multipart plastic kits were released and they were a tenner!!! I have for this reason taken the eBay approach and I am now eagerly waiting my new recruits. I did also find cheap alternatives to the GW modelling tools and am all set to start constructing as soon as the packages start turning up.

One thing remains to be decided though... WHICH CHAPTER TO PAINT!!! This has always been my downfall. I constantly switched from one to another for years, repainting and converting armies over and over again. This time round I will be taking a more direct approach... hopefully :P I know that I will be not painting dark angels,blood angels,wolves,salamanders or black templar as I want a more codex astartes structured army. Ultramarines or fists I was thinking or maybe a chapter all of my own.

Anyways enough of me rambling on, I will post photos as soon as I start building my new marines hopefully in the next few days or so. Anyone think of anything cool for chapter concepts etc let me know!!!

Thanks in Advance!

Over and out.

Easy solution. Play Deathwatch. Then you can have ALL the chapters you want.

I do both.

deathwatch are too good to be mere space marines...they have more *zing* if you know what I mean. They need to be kept in their own league.

as for your chapter conumdrum, I have the exact same issue.

I like too many chapters.

So in the saem vain as 'Do them all - deathwatch'

you could do a 'Do them all - Crusade"

there are avrious instances where multiple chapters are brought together in joint action, or you could make one up obviously.

then you can have, say, 3 chapters, under the command of one main force commander.

if you decide you want to go for the unified idea, out of Crimson firsts and Ultras, I'd probably go for CF's....they have a far more interesting history in my opinion. I liek their dogmatic character.

or you could go for a reletivly unknown/minor chapter

or make your own using the SM painter.

good luck. with what ever you choose brother.

DH

While the current dex has a ton of special characters for the UM, the Crimson Fist is one of those tragic chapters that have fought back from death to constantly survive....and I am biased

minor update: All bitz and sprues ordered to make the first 2 tactical squads now. Just waiting on the postman!

After watching GirlPainting's video's on youtube I'm starting to edge towards an imperial fists army. I like the idea of priming in white and then washing in a darker colour as a way to get the base shading and then blending up from that. Her weathering techniques are pretty damn impressive as well!

Hopefully next update I will have some actual images!!! :)

minor update: All bitz and sprues ordered to make the first 2 tactical squads now. Just waiting on the postman!

After watching GirlPainting's video's on youtube I'm starting to edge towards an imperial fists army. I like the idea of priming in white and then washing in a darker colour as a way to get the base shading and then blending up from that. Her weathering techniques are pretty damn impressive as well!

Hopefully next update I will have some actual images!!! :)

try this technique on a tester model for IF's

1. Spray White (make sure you get all of it)

2. glaze yellow (glaze is made up of a 1:1:N mix of Gryphonne sepia, golden yellow, and water - N = as much to get the required effect)

3. Dry

4. repeat.

its should give you a nice quick basic yellow which then just needs highlighting and abit of lining in

When it comes to painting them as IFs I was thinking of going for the 5th company colours:

sm.php?b62c=@iagtx_hyvFn.haLvy@@@@@@@hXbsb__@@__@@@@@@@@@@@.@.@@@@@@@@@@@__@@@@@@@@_@@@@_iakk7&grid=TRUE

Avoiding the bright red 3rd company that everyone seams to go for these days.

What would be the markings for sergeants? Red helmet?

DarKHaZZ13: I'm really liking GirlPaintings dark and dirty IFs. They appeal to me more than the bright cartoony marines that GW seam to push. IFs are siege masters so I've always pictured them as being really weathered with loads of battle damage etc...

Talking of which does anyone know where I might obtain a cheaper alternative to GW's hand drill?

Thanks!

When it comes to painting them as IFs I was thinking of going for the 5th company colours:

Avoiding the bright red 3rd company that everyone seams to go for these days.

What would be the markings for sergeants? Red helmet?

DarKHaZZ13: I'm really liking GirlPaintings dark and dirty IFs. They appeal to me more than the bright cartoony marines that GW seam to push. IFs are siege masters so I've always pictured them as being really weathered with loads of battle damage etc...

Talking of which does anyone know where I might obtain a cheaper alternative to GW's hand drill?

Thanks!

Definitely go for 5th Co. IFs! I've started to paint up my first IFs of said company and am really digging the colours.

As for your question concerning helmets: If you want to do them "old school", sergeants will be marked with a red skull on the helmet, vet. Sergeants with an additional red stripe, veterans with only the red stripe.

When it comes to battle damage, I'd go with painting the damage directly on the armour rather than really damaging the armour with a drill, hobby knife whatever.

Hope this helps -_-

ozris

• 4 weeks later...

I've been massively busy with work and what not so this is the first update in a while! (SORRY!)

Parts all arrived on time (Thank you eBay!) and I have assembled my first tactical squad and started on my kit bashed captain.

My gf got involved as well and made a few marines of her own (though some of them looked rather chaotic! HERETIC! :) )

I picked up a cheap box of the 3 AOBR marines for a fiver the other day to use as test minis as well and the paint I ordered from Maelstrom Games finally turned up today (my first day off in a week) so I'm gonna try out some different approaches to painting yellow and see what I like the most!

Ill post some picks up of the test minis as soon as they're done and some WIP picks of the tac squad and cpt as well (lighting permitting!)

Over and out!

I've been massively busy with work and what not so this is the first update in a while! (SORRY!)

Parts all arrived on time (Thank you eBay!) and I have assembled my first tactical squad and started on my kit bashed captain.

My gf got involved as well and made a few marines of her own (though some of them looked rather chaotic! HERETIC! :) )

I picked up a cheap box of the 3 AOBR marines for a fiver the other day to use as test minis as well and the paint I ordered from Maelstrom Games finally turned up today (my first day off in a week) so I'm gonna try out some different approaches to painting yellow and see what I like the most!

Ill post some picks up of the test minis as soon as they're done and some WIP picks of the tac squad and cpt as well (lighting permitting!)

Over and out!

the black/yellow of the 5th is a very striking IF colour combo.

for the sergeants, try darkening the red a little - it'll sit better with the black and not clash so gaudily with the yellow.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys!

Sorry for the lack of updates. Work and other commitments have got in the way of me getting any time to paint or even build a single marine!!! I have been busy though accumulating bitz in preparation a pretty decent sized starting force. So far I have parts for a chaplain with jump pack, 10 man assault squad, 2 tactical squads, 5 man scout squad, a rhino and a killer sternguard squad (Thank you forgeworld!)

Ill take a photo of all the boxes and sprues and forgeworld goodness this weekend along with any assembled marines that manifest themselves!

So stay tuned folks and expect the next update on Sunday at the latest!!!! (I promise)

• 2 weeks later...

Evenin all!

I finally got some marines built! I present to you my first 2 Sternguard (Edit: The guy on the left is no longer a member of this squad)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs272.snc6/180055_499284093159_665108159_6233202_4549735_n.jpg

and the bottom half of my sternguard sergeant:

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs788.ash1/167877_499284498159_665108159_6233206_2582272_n.jpg

They are still very WIP as you can tell. Their bolters and packs have been left off for painting.

Still to build:

-The rest of the Sternguard Unit

-2 x tactical squads

-Jump pack chaplain

-10 man assault squad

-Rhino

-5 man scout squad

Still to paint:

EVERYTHING :D

Update:

Sternguard Sergeant complete(ish):

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs280.snc6/180832_499351398159_665108159_6234315_3265969_n.jpg

Another view:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1373.snc4/164556_499351693159_665108159_6234320_5066903_n.jpg

and another:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs795.ash1/168576_499351893159_665108159_6234327_7459015_n.jpg

And my WIP Assault squad veteran sergeant:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs253.snc6/180130_499352093159_665108159_6234337_2303977_n.jpg

and another view:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1376.snc4/164831_499352333159_665108159_6234339_4970256_n.jpg

Note: Currently in process of finding the assault serg a new powerfist arm as I stole his original one for the stern guard serg :S

I'll attempt to update daily from now. (when i find time to model!)

Over and out.

Nice to see people are commenting :D lol

Anyways here are some more pics of the 99% completed MK VI Sternguard Unit

3 new marines:

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs077.snc6/168770_500971683159_665108159_6257217_6561704_n.jpg

and another 3:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs060.snc6/169040_500971818159_665108159_6257219_3019533_n.jpg

here you can see my home made combi-melta.

And a group shot:

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs048.snc6/167834_500972053159_665108159_6257227_6728675_n.jpg

As previously stated these are only 99% completed. I still need to find an appropriate right arm for my respirator guy and add all the purity seals and embelishment to them... OOOh and paint them of course :lol:

Some C&C would be highly appreciated. Thank you! :D

Over and out!

Hey Leoniidus,

Good job with your progress considering your work schedule. I can certainly identify with accumulating bits and bits with the intent of building an army one day. Work and family definitely have a way of putting hobbies on he back burner.

Regarding some C&C, I prefer your scratch built combi-bolter with the drum mag over the commander's combi-melta with the drum mag. I attempted a similiar conversion myself and found that the drum mag just hangs a bit too low to the point of looking awkward. If you notice, the magazine begins well well below the marine's fist, as opposed to your scratch built one whose magazine and weapon seem more proportinal. All in all though, it seems we share similiar tastes in bits and chapters :) .

Archived