Knights of the Abyss WIP

Leardinal

Hey all,

I finally sat myself down and got to work repairing my Librarian.

Librarian Vos, Attached to the Knights of the Abyss' 4th Company

gallery_53411_5109_188311.jpg

gallery_53411_5109_615116.jpg

gallery_53411_5109_760936.jpg

With Captain Tiberius and his Honor Guard

gallery_53411_5109_693752.jpg

After playing a game with his previous color scheme, I found that he blended in too well, (I often had trouble picking him out of his squad quickly,) so I decided to go with the traditional blue. He certainly stands out now.

C&C Welcome

Looks good, I think the blue is better to be honest, but it might look a bit better with a darker shade? Maybe just a Badab Black wash would fix it.

Thanks.

Actually, he has a black wash done to him already. Comparing him to the picture, he seems...purple? I don't know, it might just be the light but he defiantly looks purple to me know. I have no idea why the Picture came out so blue.

Hey all,

I got a couple more scouts done, along with the start of a couple of objective markers and the squad banner bearers.

Scouts

gallery_53411_5109_1285649.jpg

gallery_53411_5109_1092084.jpg

gallery_53411_5109_1103086.jpg

This is my first time using decals, tell me how it came out.

gallery_53411_5109_875909.jpg

gallery_53411_5109_157402.jpg

This is just to show the camo cloaks

Objectives

gallery_53411_5179_621317.jpg

Squad Banner Bearers

gallery_53411_5179_310536.jpg

gallery_53411_5179_1242331.jpg

gallery_53411_5179_819858.jpg

gallery_53411_5179_601535.jpg

These don't do anything rule-wise, but I like the idea and they will all be painted up to reflect the campaign history of the squad

C&C Welcome

Edit: On a side note, does anyone have any idea why someone would leave a tied off grocery bag full of packing peanuts in front of someone's door?

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

Well, I haven't posted in a while and, as much as I want to, I can't claim it on a sudden urge to do nothing but paint, because in truth I hadn't picked up a brush in several weeks.

To get myself going again, I vowed to paint an Assault Squad, A Dreadnought, and a Rhino for the Librarium Painting Challenge, I have yet to decide weather or not to regret it.

The Assault Squad

gallery_53411_5179_447969.jpg

All undercoated, some have more work then others

The Dreadnought

gallery_53411_5179_264810.jpg

gallery_53411_5179_860973.jpg

Undercoated, ready to go...

The Rhino

gallery_53411_5179_54381.jpg

Looks like any other Rhino for now, but I have plans for it... :)

That's it for now,

C&C Welcome

Thanks for the replies

@Dark Apostle Thirst:Yeah, I put up these pictures mostly for the LPC vow, though partly to also prove I hadn't given up.

@Darius Macab:The Dread is quickly becoming one of my favorites. He was fun to build and so far has been fun to paint. I have him base painted now, but the paint scheme tends to not photograph well so he will wait for more progress before more pictures.

I have been having problems removing the mold line on the plasma coils on the Dreadnought's cannon. I tried filing it off, but I seemed to do more damage to the coils then the mold line. I was hoping the paint wold help cover it, but that is just not the case.

Does anyone know of a method for getting rid of it?

I never file my mold lines, always scrape. If you scrape a hobby knife along the mold line it'll come right off without need much pressure or destroying the details under it.

Models look good, as Thirst said, I look forward to seeing them painted! ^_^

Oh and did you ever find out why someone left the bag of packing peanuts outside your door?

Hello all,

@GooseDaMoose:Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, while the hobby knife worked better then the file, it seems the mold line will only be removed if I scrape it out of each valley between each coil.

And no, I never figured out why that bag was there. My brother got excited about it, but after he realized nothing was in it we tossed it.

@Dwarfkernow: Thanks for the encouragement. Good luck with your vow as well.

Well, I did some work on the Dreadnought

Venerable Brother Altus

gallery_53411_5109_962426.jpg

Legs

gallery_53411_5109_1107481.jpg

Plasma Cannon

gallery_53411_5109_630954.jpg

Arm

gallery_53411_5109_1084736.jpg

I magnetized him to the base, but part of it broke off and I need to fix it. I also still have to base him and add burns to the ends of his weapons. Other then that, he is pretty much done.

C&C Welcome

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

@Darius Macab: Yeah, I think you are right. Pics incoming after a coat of black wash.

So, I have a squad of Terminators coming along, along with some reworked Sergeants.

gallery_53411_5179_662522.jpg

These guys were, like the scouts, a left over project that I have decided to start working on again

gallery_53411_5179_121935.jpg

I decided to attempt a "Counts-As" for Logan Grimnar, and here is the end result. Needs a touch up here and there, but mostly done

gallery_53411_5179_209489.jpg

My "Counts-As" rune priest in TDA

gallery_53411_5179_492921.jpg

2 Wolf Guard in TDA with Power Swords and Combi Meltas

gallery_53411_5179_723085.jpg

Wolf Guard in TDA armed with a Thunder Hammer, a Storm Shield, and a Cyclone Missile Launcher

I was looking at my Assault Squad waiting for me to paint it for the LPC, and I started to think about the Sergeant. The wings look great for a Jump Pack equipped squad, but looked out of place since they where on foot. I looked around and remembered I had most of the Masters of the Chapter pack laying around gathering dust, and I felt the conversion itch in the back of my mind.

gallery_53411_5179_159808.jpg

Assault Sergeant saluting his foe

gallery_53411_5179_299875.jpg

Tactical Sergeant preparing to strike a target he weakened with his Combi Melta

gallery_53411_5179_378674.jpg

Devastator Sergeant commanding his squad to fire

gallery_53411_5179_81676.jpg

Devastator Sergeant setting himself for a counter attack while discreetly pulling his Bolt Pistol

C&C Welcome

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I started running a Deathwatch campaign with my friends on the days that I usually would be painting, which is why I haven't posted an update. Since their is only a couple weeks left before the end of the LPC, I decided to start working.

My brother is into photography, and it only recently donned on me to have him take the pictures, so they should be much higher quality now.

First up, the Dreadnought

gallery_53411_5109_1940.jpg

gallery_53411_5109_604092.jpg

Washed him and highlighted him since last update

2 of the 10 Assault Marines for my LPC Vow

gallery_53411_5109_459341.jpg

Finally, I decided to start working on a project that will take even more attention of my LPC vow. The idea is to modify the standard Power Armored Chest Plate to make it more resemble Plate Armor.

Here is my first attempt at this

gallery_53411_5179_263956.jpg

This is the Artwork that inspired my attempt

C&C Welcome

looking good mate, one question though, are you planning on keeping the blood angels iconography on some of your models? (e.g. drop of blood on sergeants sword)

that looks kinda odd in my humble opinion, or are your guys a successor chapter to the blood angels?

@Wicced: Thanks for the Reply. Yeah, they are a BA Successor Chapter. I wish I had gone with something more...Knightly, but I got a lot of BA stuff and most of my models are built.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

@Dark Apostle Thirst: Thanks for the support, I never abandon a project completely, just get distracted for long periods of time :)

If you haven't noticed, I can never be happy when something is done. Ideas keep popping into my head about how I can change this or that.

Today's victim is the Librarian. I kept looking for the head I originally wanted for him, and while looking my mind wandered. When I finally did find it, I had another pose for the Librarian worked out in my head.

Instead of ripping him apart right after having the pose worked out in my mind, I decided to make a "blue-tac," (Mine is actually grey,) mock up. Tell me which pose you think looks better, I still would have to add a psychic hood, cables, and a servo skull to the new pose

gallery_53411_5179_588360.jpg

The new pose looks a bit odd because that much putty is hard to keep in one place.

I mostly use him in a defensive role, and thought the extended arm reflected that more. Plus, I think the staff adds more to the "I am a Psychic!" look.

I also finished painting another Assault Marine for the LPC, time to really get going on that I guess...

gallery_53411_5179_128252.jpg

C&C Welcome

I like the second pose better. (arm extended and head positioned looking toward his target.) however I do not like the staff and think the sword looks better in the first pose

• 1 month later...

gallery_21629_2989_32489.gif

In my defense, I blame my epic ability to procrastinate. Plus, I just finished moving from South Carolina to Kentucky, so I haven't much time for Warhammer until the last few days.

In those last few days, I picked up 2 boxes of Grey Knight Terminators. They just looked too cool not to start a new army around them. Now I am wishing that I had chosen a different scheme for my DIY Chapter, and maybe a different name, but ah well.

@Brax: I think I will move the sword to the new model, as soon as I pull him out of whatever box he got packed into.

Anyway, a pic of the WIP Terminators

gallery_53411_5179_316190.jpg

I know it is bad quality, (It is that white door, my phone focused on something dark and made it brighter,) but it didn't seem so bad until just now. They have just been under coated and are still drying, but when they are dry I will get a better pic, maybe several so I don't try to get them all in one shot.

I decided to go with a different basing theme, since when I imagine Grey Knights I don't see them running to fight Chaos in lush grass fields, I picked up some cork and plan to do their bases in a ruined street thing, but with gratuitous amounts of static grass pushing up through the ruined streets.

I decided these models would be:

A Grand Master, (Top Right, hard to tell but he is pointing,) Who will get the Cape from my Logan Counts-as when he is dry.

A Librarian, (dead center, who looks like he is either casting a spell or trying to grab a snack,) to give him the Libby look, I gave him the chest with a raised color to look like a larger psychic hood, made him bare headed, tryed to make him look like he is casting, and plan on painting the tabard, (or whatever it is called,) either blue or yellow.

And a Paladin Squad, (I just think the ornaments to pick them out a Paladins look silly,).

Nothing really special at this stage, because I like the poses of the models enough to not need any conversions...Yet.

That is it for now,

C&C Welcome

Sanguinary Novitiate

gallery_53411_5179_113127.jpg

Where did you get this grail?

I sort of just slapped it together out of bits from a WFB Warriors of Chaos Plastic Kit.

I goofed up the Skull head when trying to make a Chaplain in Terminator Armor, so I decided to use it here. I cut off the lower Jaw, glued the top part onto the hand, cut off the end end of the horn that comes with the kit and glued it on top for the lip, then cut the bottom end off a banner pole and glued to the underside of the hand.

Hope it helps

Edit:to make my explanation clearer

Archived