Art Scale Dark Angel Army

Grotsmasha

Hello everybody and thanks for having a look.

First off, this is my 1st post ever, anywhere, so yay for new things.

So the Army will be a Successor Chapter, jury is still out on the name, but I'm thinking along the lines of Blades/Fists of Salvation/Vengeance/Reason.

Colours will be standard DA green with level of inner circle-ness depicted by the colour of the left arm, starting with White, then Bone, Blood Red, Scab Red for the 1st Company. This represents their Rage replacing their "innocence" i guess.

gallery_48988_5384_35292.jpg

gallery_48988_5384_4827.jpg

So, credit goes to Doghouse and Lamenter for my insperation/technique for my power armoured marines, and to someone on another site who's name I've forgotten, for providing the concept behind the Terminators.

So, without further delay, the WIP pic of a Power Armoured Marine and a Terminator!

other models displayed for comparison purposes.

P.S. Hit me with the constructive critism, I know my GS skills are quite lacking.

So cheers, and looking forward to the feedback.

gallery_48988_5384_412807.jpg

gallery_48988_5384_373166.jpg

gallery_48988_5384_469422.jpg

gallery_48988_5384_865230.jpg

gallery_48988_5384_719016.jpg

P.P.S If anyone can tell me how to get the actual pics in the post instead of links, I'll do that, til then, this is all I got, sorry.

EDIT: I got it, obviously!

EDIT MARK II: The Terminator is an AOBR model

GS wise, your good! It seems to be quite smooth, and is well placed, no overlap (which is more than can be said for my True Scale attempts).

The upscaled termie is also great, just a smidgen of GS to smooth it out.

Colour scheme looks good, if a little drab. It should be richer colours when painted for real. The SM painter aint perfect ;)

Keep it up! Cant wait to see these guys done.

EDIT: And welcome to the Bolter and Chainsword!

Firenze: Thankyou for the welcome and knid words. Concerning the GS skills, smooth is the limit of my skills, I cant scult , or detail or anything like that.

Onwards!

So I've been working on a Landraider Superheavy for my "normal" DA to replace a hastily made one from my youth,

gallery_48988_5384_89934.jpg

gallery_48988_5384_391675.jpg

gallery_48988_5384_174629.jpg

So this LR conversion is available on ebay, despite the posting, i will post international.

EDIT: SOLD !!!

gallery_48988_5384_284138.jpg

then I discovered, the BANERAIDER stuff going around, specifically Doghouse's awesome example. So I've now abandoned/rediected my Superheavy project and decided to go Baneraider style for the Art Scale. I've purchased a set of 'Blade tracks and sides from ebay, I can't wait to get started.

So, walking past my hobby desk yesterday I noticed I had randomly placed my marine next to a Rhino, making the Rhino a whole world of inadequate. Having some spare LR sides from my other project, I went to work with the hobby saw to make a proof-of-concept Rhino side.

gallery_48988_5384_826088.jpg

I know it is VERY rough but it does "feel right" for shape/scale. Tell me what you guys think.

'Til next time, Jono signing out

I will have to say that your conversions look fantastic. It is obvious that you have taken the time and skill to make figures/models that will make other players stand back and drool...

I particularly like the TDA trooper. Not so much the LR.

IMO the LR as you built it should have more treads/tracks, just because of its width.

I will snag your TDA conversion for my DW command Sqd. Thanks....

pueriexdues: I know what you mean about the LR tracks. The painted one I made more than 10yrs ago in high school as a spontaineous idea. The new one will now be a Baneraider, it just has the LR tracks to keep it "assembled" for the picure.

Concerning time and effort, (I'm not trying to toot my own horn but) The Terminator was the second proof-of-concept model constructed, start to finish, in a 3hr window (the first one had none of the width added making it look way.... nancy...ish)

He has since suffered under the razor saw and is in the process of de-nancy-ing now.

EDIT: fixed some spelling mistakes.

Well my GS-fu is limited to smoothing and hair/fur. However,Im to take the plunge with a jewelry moulding project for college (creating the TF2 spy from milliputt and moulding him :)).

On the subject of the Land-Rhino, the shape is good, close to the normal rhino. The easiest way though to do a True Scale tank is through scratch building using templates.

Great models so far -- keep it going. I like the colour scheme of your chapter too. Not sure of the Landraider Superheavy design though -- the concept is great but visually it would have been better mirrored rather than side by side -- but obviously constrained by the original model.

Cheers

I

I know what you mean about mnirroring. I've given serious thought on how to swap the (in pic) LHS turret pit to the outside of the model, but a suitable way the hack and slash and re-assemble illudes me. I've not given up, maybe I'll get the light bulb soon, hopefully before my 'blade tracks arrive.

EDIT: Another idea I've had concerning the turret pit is along the following lines. Now that this new super heavy will be a Baneraider Crusader, I'm thinking of putting the Multi-melta gunner in the (pic) RHS turret pit. I know it'll restrict fire-arc, but who points their LR away from the enemy?

END EDIT

Finished 2 more Termies (not GS'd yet though), the one that has been de-nancy-ied and the AOBR Termie Sgt model. Hopefully pics this arvo, til then, game on.

So I found a couple of mins to grab those pics

gallery_48988_5384_851997.jpg

So this is an Idea I've been leaning towards (btw I've decided to go with Blades of blah blah) is modelling EVERYONE in the army with a sword. I've come up with this for the Terminators, in-game it will count as a chainfist.

gallery_48988_5384_279298.jpg

Sorry for the bluriness, I dont own a camera, just the good 'ol phone camera.

Looks like a lot of very fiddly work to get to that stage -- and then plenty more fiddly remedial work to make them 'work' as finished models. I take my beakie helm off to you sir for even attempting it.

Cheers

I

So rumageing through my cupboard I found my 2x copies of the new Space Hulk. So the question is, should I hack up my second set of these excellent models in an attempt to Art Scale them?

Some of them will be VERY difficult to get right, but will the result be worth the risk?

I'm tempted to start with this model as it has the easiest access without loss of detail to the points I will be cutting.

gallery_48988_5384_60189.jpg

In other news I've decided to go for the hat-trick. Since I'm working on a Baneraider, then a Land-rhino I've purchased a Venerable Dread off ebay with the intention of Art Scaling it with a similar method I'm using for the terminators.

P.S. if anyone wants to know the specs for the method I'm using for the Terminators, ask and I'll post them.

Peace out

UPDATE !!!

2 things, the Space Hulk mini Art Scaled,

gallery_48988_5384_870470.jpg

and some further WIP's of the...... BANERAIDER !!!

1. The stupid fiddly hole for the stupid fiddly Assault Hatch mechanism that I totally forgot about and had to pull apart the finished track assembly to fix,

gallery_48988_5384_553077.jpg

2. RHS Interior Wall,

gallery_48988_5384_614420.jpg

3. Interior Floor,

gallery_48988_5384_391961.jpg

4. Exterior Hull Top,

gallery_48988_5384_677627.jpg

5. Exterior Side

gallery_48988_5384_626545.jpg

As I've decided to do a fully modelled/painted Interior I have designed the Top to be completely removeable. I'm mostly happy with how the Baneraider is coming along, but I have placed the LR chassis too far to the rear, but only noticed waaaay after the glue had set.

If I ever make another I'll know for that one.

P.S. If you don't own one of GW's (or another brand I guess) Razor Saw, it is one of the best investments I've ever made for my Hobby.

Thats' my bit said, have fun !!!

++ Edited excessesive font size. I ++

EDIT: Sorry about the font size, i was having trouble reading it...

Time again for another update.

Firstly, the 5th and final member of the Terminator Squad,

gallery_48988_5384_58469.jpg

A group photo,

gallery_48988_5384_189707.jpg

and the next mini to suffer the wrath of the Razor Saw!!

gallery_48988_5384_259318.jpg

EDIT: He will be re-gaining his Claw Blades, unsure of why I cut them off in the first place, it was...years ago :END EDIT

It is my intention to GS the 5 termis and get some paint on them this week, we'll see how that goes.

Isiah: Cheers! I've always thought they looked dis-proportional, but now, scaling him up they wont look so out of place.

ALMOST FORGOT !!!

the second of my PA Marines, an Assault Marine, with my take on an Art/True Scale Jump Pack,

gallery_48988_5384_730982.jpg

gallery_48988_5384_95297.jpg

I know the Jump Pack isn't level, or quite symetrical, damn my impatience !!!

P.S. for Shoulder pads, I'm going to be using the Company Champion guards with the lower, recessed part filled in with GS level to the upper, raised bit.

Sorry for the lack of update, this has been a hectic week for me.

SO..... It was my intention to GS and paint some termies, that didn't happen, but what did happen was........ this !!!

gallery_48988_5384_727721.jpg

...an in-progress 'bigger' AOBR SM Captain (I have 15-20 of these converted with all kinds of weapons just sitting there collecting dust).

and THIS !!!!!!!

gallery_48988_5384_433210.jpg

As you can see I've now swung in the complete opposite direction and have over-corrected the rear of the Baneraider :blush:

So what do you guys think? Should I, 1) buy new 'blade tracks and start again, 2) hack and slash to shorten it again or 3) leave it beause bigger is better?

P.S. paint work has begun on the interior of the BR so that I can get it assembled sooner

Cheers,

Jono signing out.

Just a quickie,

having seen the lion helms and shoulder pads from Scibor (thanks to another B&C DA post), I'm considering going with " The Lions Vengeance" as a Chapter Name, which means I'll be painting the LHS arms Gold/Yellow instead of Bone through Red.

Hi Grotsmasha,

I'm really liking this TS style you have going on here. I'll be taking a page from you on my own TS Terminators. I was at a loss as to how I wanted to do them. I also like the proportions you've got for them. Cutting the torso down the middle fixes helps balance out the enlaged legs, most people just glue card to the sides of the torso. The only thing I would change is that the in the side view the mini doesn't have enough depth. You should add a spacers to increase the depth.

Also how did you make the jump pack? I like the look but would just use 2 of the larger thrusters.

Sersi: Thankyou for the kind words, I'm glad to have helped out (inspirtion-wise at least!). I reccomend working in squads. Cut one, glue plasticard, cut the second and so on, by the time you've plasticarded the 5th, the glued plasticard will be set enough for assembly. I've been using 0.5mm plasticard:

Height:

1mm under the feet

1.5mm in the shins

1.5mm in the thighs

1mm on the hips

2mm under the torso

Width:

1mm lower leg

0mm upper thigh

1mm groin

1.5mm upper torso centre

1mm upper torso both sides.

Concerning the depth, yeh, I know, but for me the little extra accuracy vs,. the extra time (imo) isn't worth it.

Also something I've learned from my termies, when glueing the plasticard onto the termie DO NOT LEAVE OVERHANG (I was doing this, then trimming the whole model once the glue had set, but this leaves no-where for the GS to go), instead glue with a small recess as this allows for a significantly better GS finish. Also I've found it better to trim off the vertical "braces" on the legs and add them back with GS.

For the jump pack it is a normal pack with just the jets and tubing cut off with a Sanguinary Gaurd jet stuck in the middle.

Hopefully thats everything you need to know, if not juust ask.

Sooooooo, new stuff

Becoming increasingly frusterated at the Baneraider, I've decided to put in a box for a week to prevent it's enraged destruction under my temper tantrum throwing feet!!!

This left me with the time to attack the Land-rhino (another tank, I hear you gasp), it seems i had a clearer picture of what I wanted as I whipped this up in 3hrs this morning, start to finish

Front View

gallery_48988_5384_451435.jpg

Side View

gallery_48988_5384_102944.jpg

Rear View

gallery_48988_5384_691810.jpg

Scale vs my TS marines

gallery_48988_5384_90955.jpg

As always c&c is most welcome

'til next time,

Jono out.

The "Land-Rhino"... how in the Emperor's name... ...yes yes I can see how you've done that. Brilliant!

Loving the termy – the three-jet assault marine is outrageous. Can't wait to see 'em painted.

Cheers

I

Hey, thanks for the dimensions on the card. That will help a great deal. I love the TS marine in the last picture. Dang, I wish I had tapered the thighs on mine like that, it looks so more dynamic.

Thanks again!

Just a quick update, I have purchased the following 3 weapon turrets from eBay for my Land-Rhino as the standard ones are way too small

Assault Cannon

gallery_48988_5384_60430.jpg

Heavy Bolter

gallery_48988_5384_8714.jpg

Lascannon

gallery_48988_5384_18607.jpg

I think the size is much more appropriate

til next time, cheers,

Jono

Archived