Glory and Hate! A Marines Malevolent Project

Hyaenidae

As I came to the end(?) of my 5 year CSM build, I decided to crack into my bitz box to find something else to do. As I tallied parts, I realized I could probably build a loyalist army just out of the parts in my box, with a few small purchases. I wanted to do a Canon Chapter that was battered and bruised (I'd had enough of DIY for a while, my CSM were all DIY). For those of you guys who helped me out in the On the edge of extinction... thread, I thank you for helping me decide on the Marines Malevolent finally. Here's the test mini...

gallery_37532_5274_459020.jpg

gallery_37532_5274_495251.jpg

gallery_37532_5274_403763.jpg

Alot of my inspiration for these guys comes from three places...Mr. Kyme's Salamander book, the War for Armageddon website (RIP), and finally, the greatest inspiration for my army comes from the picture of the battered Marine fighting for his life in the Palace of Thorns section of the Cities of Death book. That, in my personal opinion, is the best damn pic of a marine ever. I know he's an Astral Claw, but the rough armour, battered paint and scarred, rage filled face...It feels like the ol' Rouge Trader art, but updated. I'll be putting up more as I go...although I must warn you all, my real life is hectic, and new stuff may be slow at times. I apoligize ahead of time. Any and all comments and critisisms are welcome, of course. Now, if you'll excuse me, I gotta go raid my kids candy haul from trick or treating. I hear a bag of Swedish Fish calling my name. Happy Halloween! ;)

Here's the second, in progress. I gave him a swagger, as if he couldn't care less about the foes he faces, he knows he's gonna kill 'em all. Darksun is working a lot better as a base, the yellow is coming out much warmer than with a white basecoat. You can see the new basing on the first marine, an urban/rubble to bring out the yellow a little.

gallery_37532_5274_2931700.png

Thoughts and opinions?

Nice work!!

Think the "rust/dirt" effect on the first one...for me...is a bit much,again me...I would tone that down a bit!

Other than that very good work!!!

Good to see more of the Emperors finest Loyalist Marines on the B&C.

:tu:

Really like the depth of color you are able to get in the yellow on the second marine, and it really shows. Too much battle damage can hide how well you can paint, and there are few enough people who have the guts, or the ability to pull that much yellow off.

Excellent Marines Malevolent and keep up the great work!

Glad to hear that pic helped mate :tu:. Both mini's are looking great. I quite like the slightly OTT damage on the first one, it gives him a battle worn look that fits with how the marine in the artwork looks.

Nice work on the yellow too!

James

looking real nice mate, loving the battle damage and the urban bases make the yellow really pop. Very impressive!

The urban base was your idea, after all, lol. Thanks, brother.

Oh, meant to say before but forgot, that conversion you've done of the limited edition Veteran Sergeant (in the background of these pics) looks great too. I really wanted to do something special like that with mine but lacked the guts to chop him up...

James

looking real nice mate, loving the battle damage and the urban bases make the yellow really pop. Very impressive!

The urban base was your idea, after all, lol. Thanks, brother.

haha yeah, but youve executed it really nicely, sometimes urban bases can look unfinished, but not these, i can imagine an army of these guys looking really striking on the battlefield!

Alright, next set. This is gonna be a long one, I apoligize ahead of time, brothers and sisters.

gallery_37532_5399_103953.png

After the basic coats of paint (Iydien[?] Darksun, then 3 thin coats of sunburst yellow, followed by a wash of Ogryn Flesh, and carefully putting another layer of yellow on the raised areas) and highlights, I headed to the next step, the chipped armour. Doing the chipping was a lot easier than I thought it was gonna be, lol.

gallery_37532_5399_1028586.png

Next was the rust stain, a special blend I made, heavily watered down. I took an empty jar, and filled it to quarter way with 1/3 blazing orange, 1/3 scab red, and 1/4 dark flesh; then filled the 3/4 left in the jar with good ol' tap water. It'll look a little bright at first, and it takes about 5 layers to get it right, but it's soooo worth it.

gallery_37532_5399_113279.png

Next is...well, I call it dusting. The rust stain sometimes leaves a very sharp edge when it dries, so I gently 'dust" the edges with some yellow to soften the edges, and shape the stain to make it look realistic. Finally, I use some straight Dark Flesh with a very fine brush, and paint thin lines down the stains to add depth. finally, a decent dusting of tamiya weathering powder (rust) over the entire model, and a little metal stippling with a fine brush to the bare metal of the chipped area, aaaaand......

gallery_37532_5399_2135102.png

gallery_37532_5399_1184351.png

gallery_37532_5399_378349.png

Taa Daa! Marine numero dos! The beginnings of the 3rd is in the background, but I haven't shaved the mold lines or drilled barrels yet. Baby steps, though, right? lol. I really am shocked how much attention these guys are getting, and I thank you all for your comments and critiques.

@ Capt. Mick, Emp. Axe, Firestorm 40k, DOOM: Thanks very much, guys. Your comments kept motivating my lazy butt to go paint more, lol.

@ zxyogi, candleshoes and Chaplian Belisarius: Thanks for the comments! But, the whole reason I chose the MM was because their fluff seems very desperate and battered. I wanted these guys to look like hell intentionally. I promise though, now that I got the yellow down, I will do some Dorninan Heresy Imp. Fists for you guys sometime, lol.

@Pig of Sparta: The pic helped like no other, man. You have no idea how much, thank you from both of my hearts inside of my fused ribcage. And I'll post pics of the LE Marine guy when he's done. Yeah, I came damn close to shedding tears as I sawed him in half, but I did save the PF; hoping to use it on one of these guys.

@Replica: Hope you enjoy the addition of the skull, lol. Thanks again for the idea on the urban bases. lol, the 'stones' are made of chopped up leftover greenstuff, believe it or not.

@RT Voril: Wondered what happened to you, man! Thanks for your help in the old thread, man...these guys are partially your fault, lol.

And now I leave you, and this long post, with this teaser of some future MM vehicles...JACKPOT!!! Got these off a guy leaving the hobby for dirt cheap!

gallery_37532_5399_845475.jpg

They need a lot of plasticard repair, a healthy scrub of simple green, but they're gonna be awesome. Take care, guys and gals; Talk to ya soon.

I,v been thinking long and hard about starting these guys myself.Your boys are looking good ,the only question I have is the rust affect,sure there armour is old and beat up but would space marines let there armour go rusty?Just a thought, Im not sure of the correct answer with these guys.

I'd like to think so. They're described in Salamander with armour that is so badly chipped, little of the color can be seen. And that was on a spacecraft. Put them in a heavily industrialized city throughout a long campain, and I imagine some serious rust. These guys just couldn't give a crap less, as long as the job gets done. Anyone out there that started the hobby with Rouge Trader, such as this guy, will tell you, this is pretty much how all marines were back then. I'm just bringin' the old skool back and updating it a bit, man.

I'd like to think so. They're described in Salamander with armour that is so badly chipped, little of the color can be seen. And that was on a spacecraft. Put them in a heavily industrialized city throughout a long campain, and I imagine some serious rust. These guys just couldn't give a crap less, as long as the job gets done. Anyone out there that started the hobby with Rouge Trader, such as this guy, will tell you, this is pretty much how all marines were back then. I'm just bringin' the old skool back and updating it a bit, man.

Just a thought,PA is not made from metal.....its ceramite,its not metal!!

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ceramite

@zxyogi: I'll point partly to noctus cornix's post, and also the issue with the MM's supply problems. Inferior parts would be a part of daily life for these guys, and metal parts could be all throughout their armour and it's moving parts. Hell, when it comes down to it, I just like the rust, lol.

@Noctus Cornix: Thanks for the assist, brother.

@The Son Of Dorn: Or...the color of the U.S. Cavalry, a branch of service I hold very dear to my heart and soul. Speak cautiously... ;) Thanks for the comments, man.

Archived