Starting a DIY Chapter

19jw89

Okay, just to make something clear right from the start - I'm a longtime wargamer, with a particular love of WH40K, and of the Space Marines in particular. However, I've been out of the loop for some years now due to other commitments, and I'm starting to think about making a fresh start. With that said, I present the baseline colour scheme for my new Chapter:

sm.php?b62c=@haLvy_hXbsb.hFZ83@@@@@@@_@.@@iaj2Fiaj2F@_@@_@@@_@@_@_@@@@_@@@@_@..@@@@@@_@@@@@@.iakk7&

The armour itself is Chaos Black, with the soft areas and piping in Astronomican Grey. Blood Red shoulder trims, kneepads, belts, eyes and wrist gauntlets. The chestpiece (be it the Imperial Eagle or, as the image shows, skull and wings) will be in Bleached Bone.

It's only a start, but having read around, I find myself drawn to the Raven Guard. They serve as a Codex chapter insofar as they following the teachings, but their interpretations, thanks to Corax's history of guerilla warfare, are somewhat different. With that in mind, I designed the colour scheme to reflect this as-of-yet unnamed Chapter's history, and intend to identify them as a Later Founding Chapter.

Now, having (very very briefly) covered my starting points, I must address names. This has been a sticking point, and is something I would love feedback on - I'm in the course of writing up my IA for this Chapter, and names are very easy to change. The list I've come up with so far is:

Black Angels - Seems too easy, too derivative

Phantom Ravens - Links the new Chapter to their Founding, and reinforces the notion that they continue to follow the guerilla warfare methodology of Corax

Knights of Corvus - Again, links the Chapter to their Founding, utilising the genus 'Corvus', to which ravens belong.

Obsidian Falcons - I just quite like this. Obsidian reflects the colour of their armour, and falcons continue the bird theme.

EDIT:

sm.php?b62c=@hFZ83_hXbsb.haLvy@@@@@@@_@.@@iaj2Fiaj2F@_@@_@@@_@@_@_@@@@_@@@@_@..@@@@@@_@@@@@@.iakk7&

POssible alternative - reversal of main armour and soft colours, no other changes.

Knights of Corvus

Obsidian Falcons

Either of those too work for me. As for the 'black and red' issue, I'm not online with that whole thing ... but the second scheme really does look better.

Knights of Corvus

Obsidian Falcons

Either of those too work for me. As for the 'black and red' issue, I'm not online with that whole thing ... but the second scheme really does look better.

Thanks for the input, I'm leaning more towards to the former name rather than the latter. As for the colour schemes, I'm creating a range of alternatives within - taking into account that the Raven Guard change their shoulder trims depending on what type of squad they are, mine will have entirely different shoulder pads on the right arm. Least, that's the plan for now

We need to seriously make an IA that covers these chapters. Have the Purifiers be all normal and high purity and strong. Have the Planet Rapers be the Traitors that follow them around just ravaging everything they do. They would run every time the Purifiers came after them. Then turn around and follow them around some more. That would be AWESOME.

Curse you Shinzaren, you and your despicable Planet Rapers! Although, if you need help with that IA, tell me, it sounds fun. You and Chapter Master Ignis Domus have really got that thing going on (I wish my Sword Angels could have gotten in on it, but eh).

Original topic:

While I have no trouble with the Black/Red scheme (I use one myself), our beloved Octavulg is right in that it is a rather bland and uninspiring heraldry, despite its inherent awesomeness. I like your second scheme, I've always felt that soft armor should be black.

As far as names go, it really is up to what your Chapter's theme is. What do they do, how do they do it? What makes them special?

If you haven't already, I highly recommend you read The Guide to DIYing and the Octaguide 2.0. Invaluable resources that will help you construct your Index Astartes. It sure helped me.

I'm going to ask that this thread isn't hijacked to discuss other ideas - if you want to discuss them, please do so elsewhere.

]Origins:

TO COME

Homeworld:

TO COME

Organization:

TO COME

Combat Doctrine:

The influence of the Raven Guard on their Successor Chapter is plain to see – emphasis is often placed on stealth and guile rather than full-frontal assaults or siege warfare. However, the Knights of Corvus have taken this a step further in emphasising individual ingenuity and flexibility within their squads and allowing all brethren the freedom to express their concerns.

By preference, and where time allows them the luxury, Knights of Corvus commanders prefer to thoroughly recon potential targets, identifying which are key to the enemies’ battle plan. When they deem that an assault is necessary, it is rigorously planned down to the last detail, with explicit and highly detailed timings. Once again, it is here that the emphasis on individual thinking is brought to the fore – all brethren involved in the operation are consulted, all opinions heard; if a Marine has an issue or suggestion, he must bring it forward or hold his peace and thus forfeit the right to question later decisions based on that issue. That which is not necessary to achieve victory is avoided; enemy strongpoints will be bypassed if doing so will achieve a faster victory and thus reduce the numbers of unnecessary deaths of Imperial citizens.

Drop Ships and Thunderhawks are used to rapidly deploy the assault force to the surface, acting like scalpels to remove the target as ruthlessly and efficiently as possible. In most formations Tactical Squads, along with command elements, are frequently mounted in Razorbacks, granting a balance of firepower and speed that allows them to redeploy rapidly, pinning the enemy down under a large weight of fire, allowing the Dreadnoughts and Assault Squads to rapidly close with and destroy the enemey. Heavier vehicles such as Whirlwind’s, Vindicator’s and Predator’s are an extremely rare sight in any Knights of Corvus force, as whilst they grant firepower, they can be too ponderous and risk slowing an assault down to such a point that it becomes a quagmire.

The 10th Company, in accordance to the Codex Astartes, is dedicated to the training of Neophytes. However, with the high frequency of utilising these junior members of the chapter straining limited resources, the decision was taken to expand the company to fully double that laid down in the Codex, resulting in up to 200 Neophytes serving as Scouts in the service of the Emperor. The Chapter also places great emphasis on self-reliance within these units, allowing them broad tactical freedoms on the battlefield to engage and report targets of opportunity, operating for long periods with very little in the way of support beyond what they can carry on their person.

Despite numerous successes, this methodology has brought some unwanted attention to thechapter. There are those who see the thorough nature of the Knights of Corvus as at best a pointless delay and at worst an active attempt to sacrifice other servants of the Emperor before risking themselves.

(OPEN FOR EDITS)

Beliefs:

TO COME

Gene Seed:

Being derived of Raven Guard stock, the Knights of Corvus suffer from a complete lack of the Mucranoid and Betcher's Gland. Additionally, they share the mutation of the Raven Guard gene-seed of gradually renders their hair and eyes black, whilst draining their skin of all natural colour and rendering them unnaturally pale. Beyond these inherent defects in the gene-seed, they have been left broadly untouched by natural mutation. This has helped to keep them out of the eyes of the Inquisition. (MORE TO COME, VERY BASIC)

Battle Cry:

The very nature of the Knights of Corvus means that they eschew shouting loud cries - stealth, subtlety and silence are their nature, and their 'Battle Cry' instead takes the form of a quiet prayer uttered to oneself before battle, 'Manui dat cognitio vires' - 'Knowledge gives strength to the arm'

Apologies for the thread jacking. I think Knights of Corvus is a good name, doesn't POP! to me haha, but what do I know? :P I second the suggestion made to check out the guides. They are both very solid resources :tu:

So far, seems good, but don't worry about there not being too much int eh gene-seed and battle-cry sections. I find that unless you're going to make gene-seed the focus of your Chapter in some way, it should remains short, and the Battle-Cry section is supposed to be the shortest one (your length id fine, actually).

I look forward to hearing more about these guys.

Apologies for the thread jacking. I think Knights of Corvus is a good name, doesn't POP! to me haha, but what do I know? :P I second the suggestion made to check out the guides. They are both very solid resources :tu:

It's not a drama - and thanks to yourself (and the others) for recommending those guides, been glancing through them in order to gather pointers and hints.

Edit - Combat Doctrine Updated

I've gone with a system known as a 'Chinese Parliament' for the command structure of operations - that is to say, it is only on tactical matters that all Marines are to be heard. On further-reaching strategic matters, the higher command elements (e.g. the Chapter Master, Company Commander, etc) will follow a similar system. In gameplay terms, it won't impact them at all - they are, after all, Space Marines first and foremost, trained to follow orders of their superiors. I don't think any Chapter follows a similar system? Or can someone correct me?

However, the Knights of Corvus have taken this a step further in emphasising individual ingenuity and flexibility within their squads and allowing all brethren the freedom to express their concerns.

By preference, and where time allows them the luxury, Knights of Corvus commanders prefer to thoroughly recon potential targets, identifying which are key to the enemies’ battle plan. When they deem that an assault is necessary, it is rigorously planned down to the last detail, with explicit and highly detailed timings. Once again, it is here that the emphasis on individual thinking is brought to the fore – all brethren involved in the operation are consulted, all opinions heard; if a Marine has an issue or suggestion, he must bring it forward or hold his peace and thus forfeit the right to question later decisions based on that issue.

That's fine and dandy, except it doesn't work.

Really.

Democracy is organized chaos.

Heavier vehicles such as Whirlwind’s, Vindicator’s and Predator’s are an extremely rare sight in any Knights of Corvus force, as whilst they grant firepower, they can be too ponderous and risk slowing an assault down to such a point that it becomes a quagmire.

Bar the Vindicator, all other vehicles are fast enought to catch with Razor's or Rhinos. And you forget Land Raiders. :lol:

That's fine and dandy, except it doesn't work.

Really.

Agreed. In a military context you are asking for failure.

So brother A can disagree with force commander B, even though commander B has had a thousand years experience in warfare, (successful obviously given his rank) and has created the plan through knowledge of his enemy only to have the inexperienced but opinionated brother A disagree just because he doesn't 'get it'? This sounds horrific.

Yes my example is over simplified to the point of ridiculousness but I can't really imagine this being an efficient way to prosecute a war.

However as a fire fighter we are actively encouraged to question a superiors decision if we feel it isn't the best course of action (puts lives /property at risk). It is the responsibility of the OIC to take the others view into consideration and then, in most cases, promptly ignore it. Once you have had your say, however, thats it. the OIC's call is final and if the situation goes pear shaped, they are the one to blame. Thus I think it can work, but only to a degree. For example I don't see a scout telling the First Company Commander that he thinks his decision is wrong.

Hey fella,

Good to read someone else doing a falcon-inspired chapter, feel free to peruse my IA (see sig) for ideas, though of course it is far from the finished article!

I'm currently also struggling with explaining a lack of heavy armour for my chapter, so I feel your pain! :P

I'm interested by the political workings of your Chapter and what the operational impacts would be of the 'Democracy' of the military organisation.

Stick at it!

Archived