rifleman dreads

techmarine Azuris

what are rifleen dreads, i know its a noob question, but idk alot about SM still a new boy :D

Are you sure you are a techmarine? or you want to be one one day? ;)

/jk

As norngahl said, it is the two twin linked auto cannons. I think the name comes from robotech or the like.

It is very good at taking out AV 10-12 and can kill men quite well too. What helps it over the AutoLas pred is that it can move 6" per turn. Helpful in keeping your target in sight, getting a shot onto weaker side AV or keeping your dread out of sight.

It is very good at taking out AV 10-12 and can kill men quite well too. What helps it over the AutoLas pred is that it can move 6" per turn. Helpful in keeping your target in sight, getting a shot onto weaker side AV or keeping your dread out of sight.

Also not that you want to be in this situation but... if things come down to it... predators can't kick you in CC.

what are rifleen dreads, i know its a noob question, but idk alot about SM still a new boy :wacko:

Are you sure you are a techmarine? or you want to be one one day? :lol:

/jk

As norngahl said, it is the two twin linked auto cannons. I think the name comes from robotech or the like.

The name is from BattleTech, actually; they cribbed the design from RoboTech, but it had a different name. Here's the resemblance, Azuris:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h96/DTRI/RifleMech.gif

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h96/DTRI/RifleDread.jpg

And they do make for extremely good light tank hunters; things like Rhinos and Chimaeras and Valkyries don't tend to survive very long against it. However, it suffers the same problems that all shooty Dreadnoughts do -- if its Stunned/Shaken, its level on threat-o-meter drops drastically and it is still just AV12.

And they do make for extremely good light tank hunters; things like Rhinos and Chimaeras and Valkyries don't tend to survive very long against it. However, it suffers the same problems that all shooty Dreadnoughts do -- if its Stunned/Shaken, its level on threat-o-meter drops drastically and it is still just AV12.

Just AV12? That's not too bad IMO. Our other main light vehicle/ transport hunter are Land Speeder Typhoons, which are AV10 all round. All right they have better mobility and better anti-infantry, plus better S vs vehicles, but singularly they have less shots which are less accurate, and so in this manner the Dreadnought wins, with its better rate of fire and accuracy. The AV12 also makes it sturdier than the Typhoon, as it's immune to all small arms firepower (such as pesky Tau Firewarrior pulse rifles), and also it's harder to cut down on its firepower, as one weapon destroyed result will only kill one autocannon, as opposed to the Typhoon where the weapon destroyed takes out its one way of hurting tanks. And finally a stunned/shaken result will stop a Typhoon too, but they can't run into combat if they're shaken (not that you want the rifleman to do that unless absolutely necessary).

Just AV12? That's not too bad IMO. Our other main light vehicle/ transport hunter are Land Speeder Typhoons, which are AV10 all round. All right they have better mobility and better anti-infantry, plus better S vs vehicles, but singularly they have less shots which are less accurate, and so in this manner the Dreadnought wins, with its better rate of fire and accuracy. The AV12 also makes it sturdier than the Typhoon, as it's immune to all small arms firepower (such as pesky Tau Firewarrior pulse rifles), and also it's harder to cut down on its firepower, as one weapon destroyed result will only kill one autocannon, as opposed to the Typhoon where the weapon destroyed takes out its one way of hurting tanks. And finally a stunned/shaken result will stop a Typhoon too, but they can't run into combat if they're shaken (not that you want the rifleman to do that unless absolutely necessary).

You can't stun a Typhoon if it is in a squadron. :D Just thought I would throw that out there. Also helps with the multiple weapon destroyed results because sometimes you'll get to throw that second weapon destroyed onto the same one. Oh yeah, and the typhoon has a little more anti-infantry firepower due to the heavy bolter and option to fire defensive frag missiles.

Still, for just 125 points it is hard to argue with a rifleman. AV12 is good, can move and shoot, gets cover from rhinos, and has lots of long-range accurate fire. I suppose the only real problem I have with rifleman dred is the Force Org slot. Elites are a little crowded with dreds, termies, and sternguard.

-Myst

Aegis defense line .... supposed to be an easy conversion.

-Myst

This, though I did mess up my most recent one, cut the links between the guns and body too short, so looks a little silly and squat. The other looks fantastic though, really love the model.

And Deus Ex Ferrum speaks the truth also, look to Forge World if you don't want to convert and have to pin, magnetise or not be able to change weapon options.

Aegis defense line .... supposed to be an easy conversion.

-Myst

This, though I did mess up my most recent one, cut the links between the guns and body too short, so looks a little silly and squat. The other looks fantastic though, really love the model.

And Deus Ex Ferrum speaks the truth also, look to Forge World if you don't want to convert and have to pin, magnetise or not be able to change weapon options.

I used the AEGIS Defense Line for all three of mine. The conversion was pretty simple (but would've been even easier if I'd had a dremel). I chose to magnetize to make storage and transportation easier. Heck, I even wound up magnetizing the Dreads to their bases to make it real easy to move 'em. Best thing I'd done in a long time.

I used the IG Heavy Weapons team autocannons. However if I build another one Im just buying it all from Forge world, Ive got the bulk of my models now and everything else is just icing on the cake so I dont mind paying the premium.

Dont forget their competancy in putting wounds onto high toughness models, ok so they dont negate armour but as we can all attest to having a decent armour save doesnt make one immune to harm if you have to rely on it a lot.

Archived