Devastator Squads

Glitch85

I think it's a combination of several things. ML PA models are a LOT more common. They're cheaper. They're fairly versatile. Other chapters/players use them too (I'm just as good as you, I'll make mine work!)

I prefer 2ML, 1PC, 1LC. I know one is shorter range, but I like AP2 and an LC is around twice as good versus the hard to kill armour pieces and insta-glance or better on AV 10 on at least one shot makes me feel better.

It depends on many things.. I feel the 4xML option is the best if you don't have the points to run 2 combat squads.

But if you do, I usually prefer the more expensive 2xLC/2xPC option with a Sang Priest nearby. But that makes the Dev squad a hefty point sink and isn't really an option below 2k points in a balanced list I feel.

4 MLs would be the most flexible composition IMHO. As others already said, if you can spare more points, you may swap 1-2 MLs with 1-2 LCs.

I also think that dev squad is not the best investment, as they theoretically would require additional bolter-marines to help you allocate wounds without losing heavy weapons. But on average I would say the 5-man squad with 4 MLs is the most flexible and the most optimized composition.

Just my 2 cents.

4x ML is the way to go. 130 points for 4 ST8 shots is golden since every other player is MEQ. Bring the Attack Bikes and melta guns for your armor 13+. DoW deployment sucks a bit for Devs... but turn one is night fight anyway and hopefully you placed a bit of terrain close to your table edge with a good line of sight to the rest of the field. My army has so many other major threats that my Devs have never been shot at. I just re-implemented them into my army a month and a half ago and they have not taken one save!

Time to add my 2 cents too.

I would tend to agree with what others have said, a devastator squad with 4x Missile Launchers gives you a reasonable punch and more options for dealing with fluid battlefield conditions. Missile Launchers have the ability to attack in a anti-infantry role as well as anti-tank capacity. And if your under the gun for points, there also a major bonus.

Also a good formation for touranment play, as you can react more effectively against the ever changing battlefield conditions and enemies. A more weapons specific group of devastators could find themselves with the wrong weapon for the job at hand. Never a good thing, when it happens ;) .

Codex astartes: the tactical squad shall draw the enemy's fire so the devestator squad may attack from a position of strength. Ideally that solves your not enough bodies problem.

I don't run my devs as 4 of any weapon for the reasons specfied here. Of my 2 dev squads I have 2 missile launchers total.

Archived