Death Company

Gv0zD

Hi, everybody!

So, I've started BA army with 5th ed C:BA (at last!), and I'm triyng to define which units should I include in my list (and to buy them :lol: ).

I plan to start with 1000 - 1250 pts list and expand to 1500-1850. I think of making mostly mech list with maybe 2 or 3 JP units. Well, the exact list is being developed, but what concerns me is whether I should take DC in 1000-1250 list or not. With 4th ed C:BA the answer was obvious - DC was free (except for JPs), but now it has its cost and with no rending weapons I have my doubts on having it.

So here is the question: do you think it is viable to include DC in 1250 list? If it is, what equipment should I take (bolters or CCW)?

Thanks in advance!

I think the death company is a good unit. How you equip them is up to you. If you play against a horde army I like to use bolters and no JPs. This way they are cheaper and because of their "Relentless" they can soften the enemy up before they reach you. When playing an ranged army (in my case Tau) I give them JPs and CCW's and let them Deep Strike right on top of them.

My personal fave unit is the Sanguinary Guard though :lol: they slew 40 Tau and 2 Battlesuits without taking a single casualty :)

For the Emperor Brother

Death Company come with CCW regardless. The choice is between bolters and bolt pistols. Would arming them with bolters, and jump packs, be a silly option? They would lose the extra attack from the bolt pistol, but would be able to assault after moving 12" and rapid-firing. In the end they would be able to potentially do the same amount of damage (10 shots + 10 attacks, as opposed to 5 shots + 15 attacks), but would have the bonus of being able to shoot stuff that's too far away to assault.

I run a 575pt Death Company unit with Dante (Ie: 800pts in a 12 model unit) I find it works very well if limited in its real competitive uses its very fun to play and watch them run about all silly and baitable. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Agree with this point. Whilst no longer as competitive as before they are sure fun and add a real fluff element. Personally I think the DC is a little too random for tournaments etc and since the new codex I have been fading them out of my regular army lists.

Basically I believe you should ask yourself whether you want an army thats perhaps more fluffy and fun or a more comp. styled army...

I absolutely LOVE Death Company, but it does seem that compared to the PDF codex GW tried really hard to make them less desirable to use. Despite the codex gushing over them in several spots.

They took away the ability for a chaplain to control them and their rending rules which are pretty big losses in my book. I'm fine with their price considering what they are capable of, I'd even be ok with their JP price if they still had rending and a chaplain was capable of controling their Rage.

I still use them and enjoy them (plus the new models are amazing) but they aren't an auto include unit by any means.

I don't have my codex or my army list on me up here at school but I believe my 6 DC (One with a powersword) and a reclusiarch come out at around 450-500 points, not exactly sure. However, for this squad you're almost guaranteed to win an Assault on the charge. Requires some good control of your movement up the board because the first sight of an enemy they get they go crazy and can run out into site of big guns. Best bet is to keep em locked up in a rhino or land raider and then let them go when you're close enough. But for 500ish points they're only 7 models that will pretty much toast anything they come into contact with, short of higher initiative named heroes.

I'm thinking of including a 5 man DC squad (boltpistol, chainsword) with jump packs with a reclusiarch and dropping them in my opponents face. would it be wise to get some powerweapons in there? or even a fist or hammer? I was thinking of this:

5 death company with JP's, 1 power weapon and a fist/hammer

or

5 death company with JP's and 2 power weapons

or do they perform better without extra goodies?

I don't have my codex or my army list on me up here at school but I believe my 6 DC (One with a powersword) and a reclusiarch come out at around 450-500 points, not exactly sure. However, for this squad you're almost guaranteed to win an Assault on the charge. Requires some good control of your movement up the board because the first sight of an enemy they get they go crazy and can run out into site of big guns. Best bet is to keep em locked up in a rhino or land raider and then let them go when you're close enough. But for 500ish points they're only 7 models that will pretty much toast anything they come into contact with, short of higher initiative named heroes.

Not sure how you're reaching 450-500 points. The unit described only comes to about 265 points unless you give them JP's, but you're talking about putting them in a rhino or land raider so that won't be an option.

If you decide to include Death Company in your list or not, the box is still a must buy. There are too many Blood Angel "Bits" to use not to consider the box. They can be used as RAS, or even Tactical Marines, or the bits can be mixed with other boxed sets to spruce up your entire army. Same (to a slightly lesser degree) with the Sang Guard box.

I haven't thought much of them in this 'dex. The Priest reduces their usefulness by granting FC and FNP to everyone, Vanguard get the same weapon options and are cheaper with packs, and (the biggest problem) there's no way to control them any more. In my opinion, they're just not worth taking unless you want a DC dread.

Sad, because since their introduction in the Angels of Death 'dex way back in 2nd they'd been hell on jump packs. Until now.

Used them in 1k lists to give my Reclusiarch a transport. 5-6 DC, 1 PW, 1 PF, 1 Hand flamer. It works. They have taken down your typical mixed upgrade retarded-combo Nob squads with warboss. Unfortunately the squad tends to be a 1-hit kill. And by that I mean both my squad and the enemy's squad is destroyed. Though I have had the fortune of 1 DC marine remaining after almost every combat.

Not required. Fun sometimes. James says it all.

I've always felt that you have some choices in this list and there's never really a "must have" especially when it comes to your best assault troops. You've got SG, VV, DC, and HG, all of which have drawbacks and benefits, some of which depend more on your playstyle, overall army build, and slots available than anything else.

As Wildfire mentioned, a DC dread is a good reason to take DC. It's not as if it's that big of a loss, either.

DC on foot are actually more cost effective than any other of the above units I mentioned due to built in FNP, FC, relentless, and WS 5 (A lot of people ignore their WS 5 when addressing DC compared to the above units but really shouldn't). It just depends on how well you can handle the rage at that point and whether or not it is worth the points you save going with them over the others. Having said that, jump packs make them far less cost effective than the other units, imo, but as you can see, some people make it work.

I normally run DC in a smaller unit of 6 in a razorback with a PW and PF, and I think that runs me around 265. Pretty easy to fit into a 1k or 1250 game.

Thank you for all your replies, fellas!

@MadGreek

The decision to buy DC box has been already made :) But at first I thought of including their in my list, however closer examination of their abilities made me think again, so now I tend to use the box's contents to 'decorate' my assault marines (and Hand Flamer and Infernus Pistols will be put to good use :tu: )

@Wildfire

My thoughts as well. And this is what made wonder whether people use DC or not, and if they do, then how.

A Glass Hammer? Do you know what that means? Eldar Banshees are a glass hammer. A unit with T4, 3+ saves and Feel No Pain are in NO WAY WHATSOEVER a glass hammer.

DC are a terror unit. You use them to distract your enemy from the scoring troops and other goodies by dangling a DC unit which is suitably armed under his nose.

They're really unreliable and pricey, but they've always done something useful for me in the games so far. They took an entire Noise Marine's army worth of shooting, then two rounds of combat from them before dying in a game last week, which bought me time to move my other units up and pummel his traitorous +(censorum)+!!

I run mine on foot with bolters, a few special combat weapons, or in a drop pod if I want an early start. If nothing else they are a distraction for my opponents, because Raged or not, you cannot ignore their Furious Charge, WS 5 charge from even a few. A must have unit? I think not, but as my brother's have stated already, they're fluffy and a flavorful unit to take.

I don't know what thought went into making them triple the cost of a pack from our PDF.. that made my entire 10-man fully-painted squad worthless. They haven't touched table since the codex was released.

DC are a nice unit, but as they're unreliable due to the complete lack of control (once they're out of a transport and it can be difficult to block sight) I don't take more than 5 or 6 of them in a game, and they're fielded rather infrequently.

Not sure how you're reaching 450-500 points. The unit described only comes to about 265 points unless you give them JP's, but you're talking about putting them in a rhino or land raider so that won't be an option.

Sorry! Yes I was factoring in the Land Raider they're almost always in. Without the Land Raider they're about 250-270ish, together, I believe. I remember that the DC are exactly 135 points with 6 guys and one with a powersword, but I don't remember the Reclusiarch's points for himself or the infernus pistol I gave him for any quick armor popping if he needs to break off.

Be very careful with any power weapon load-outs. You want to slaughter, but not be left in the open to get shot to ribbons on your turn. I find that one powersword usually nets me 4-6 no save wounds, and then the chainswords get about 13-16 wounds usually with about 11-13 of those being saved against MEQ. I used to have 2 powerswords... I scrapped that after my DC were going through units like a hot knife through butter and then getting shot to hell the next enemy turn. ALSO! Don't forget the Reclusiarch has a power weapon too so make sure to watch out for him back-handing some baddies with his crozius!

As for a Must have? They're not really at all. I've played plenty successful games without them. I just love them because I have the old school metal paper weight DC and I love to wip them out. Plus they're a great deterrent to melta-gun squads hitting your Raider when you can hide just out of range in his turn, then roll up, disgorge the DC and eat a squad alive almost guaranteed!

They can be hit or miss, but if you keep them blinded and focused like carriage horses, they can do a mean job against enemies with all those re-rolls!

Archived