Space Marines? .. Iron Hands!

Brother Argos

In the words of that Craig Revell Hall bloke on Strictly come dancing:

Ah-Maze-ING!

That is great work on the conversion, the attention to detail is great this will be one hell of a squad

Personally i dont like the head you have chosen, but I know you will make it look great!

@ Zynk Kaladin : That is actually quite good ... "Death from above" ... although I still haven't decided on descending or ascending!

Probably makes more sense ascending. In the heat of battle, I picture marines just jumping off the upper floor as their method of descent :)

Oh, and beautiful models. Ferrus Mannus would be proud.

Well its been a good week at home and I am back to work tomorrow .. however not much modelling work done but lots of relaxation and good family times.

First up are a couple of models I have been preparing for painting. Nothing special, just a running special weapons marines and a normal firing marine with a FW special hand: -

ihsm40.jpg

Here you can see the Special weapon marine with the hand magnetised to take Flamer, plasma or melta: -

ihsm42.jpg

This is using the FW heresy style melta weapon .. which I like a lot!

ihsm44.jpg

Next is the Plasma gun and finally the Flamer.

They are stuck onto their "painting" base where they get undercoated and then painted and finally decalled.

They then get transferred over to their final bases shown below, the first one is a half water with a grill over it kind of thing. I used a hollowed out 25mm base with a bottom on it, I got them from Australia at Back2Basix however they did not appear as deeply "hollowed out" as I would have liked and I had to work at it to get what I wanted.

ihbase5a.jpg

I then poured and use GW water effects and placed the grill on top as seen below, however I still think it needs at least another layer which will be another 24hrs to dry.

ihbase5b.jpg

There are small silver seed beeds (0.5mm) in the water mix which when the other layer is poured will look like rising bubbles under the water. Oh I also mixed green ink with the water effects (which I am fairly certain is just pva glue) to give a dark green murky feel.

The other base is a drain cover from a WWII resin pack embedded into some tread plate with edging surrounding it. I made the rivets out of thin plasticard using my "punch and die" kit and then just stuck them on. I also did a little corner work with 45degree cuts to make it look slightly more realistic (basic rule of modelling, small detail can really help).

Finally I am working on a left handed set for firing marines as I am getting tired of using the same damn sets of arms everytime.

Here is the initial work, in comparison mode for me while I am finishing off with green stuff etc. it feels fairly similar to the other arm in size and orientation and just needs some work done on the joints with green stuff and some smoothing on the top of the hand.

ihsm39.jpg

I keep seeing these grid-shaped plastic thingies that people use for grilled plating, like the one you used above, and I have absolutely no idea what it is... fancy helping us out?

On the models themselves, they look good, can't wait to see them painted as usual, and the base you've made looks great. As always, keep it up ;)

@ Dark Link : Its a Needlework mesh ... hard to work with as almost no glue sticks to the damn thing.

Well its been a pretty poor week since I last posted (6 days), I have been working on the B&C Upgrade and dealing with a the kitchen roof having rotted and getting it repaired/rebuilt. All of which meant no time for painting or modelling which SUCKED.

Finally today I got to do some painting and decided to work on the special weapons marine I showed pictures of last time. I was thinking about the base I wanted to use for him and my time spent up on the roof had brought home to me that you have to move carefully in a dangerous environment. Well that was all I required to put together a very amusing base: -

ihbase6.jpg

The top right portion of the image shows a mine hidden under a loose floor plate, the other two pictures show the floor plate gently resting on top of the mine. With this arrangement I would use my running special weapons marine and position him rather unwisely about to run over the loose plate!

Here you can see him with FW old style multimelta in hand ... running forward over the now painted base: -

ihsm45.jpg

As you can see from the picture its likely he will catch the plate in passing, however lets not forget this is a Space Marine we are talking about and he may notice and evade at the last minute. I used the rust pigments extensively on the soles of his feet to make the figure feel "attached" to the base. In addition the end of the melta has "soot" residue around the end of the barrel, this was done with black MiG pigment and the MiG fixative to keep it in place (although I did wipe a little off to show a hint of metal).

I went for a two-tone metal solution for the gun as there was not enough visible casing to paint white, I then used badab black wash to add depth and shading and finally used Tamiya clear paint to "gloss" some parts of the gun and not others. All of this added enough variation to the weapon to stop it looking "bland" metallic. The Bronze used draws the eye to the Melta when your looking at the figure, which was what I was looking to achieve.

ihsm46.jpg

In the last picture you can see the mine under the plate waiting for the left foot to swing onto it. Also the rust weathering is staining the white tactical arrow on the leg, the large expanse of white leads me to do something to it on every figure I paint.

It was good today to get back into painting my Iron hands and as I am home tomorrow I will be doing another figure!

Really love your bases. The use of pigments and weathering is great.

Is it intentional that the shoulder pads don't have any chipping? I think it looks great when the decals are weathered a bit so they blend in a bit more. I know you wash them with black, but I would like to see some more serious wear and tear :P.

I tend to do my Shoulder pads separately from the rest of the figure (adding decals etc) and then glue them on. However that does tend to mean they lack some of the more aggressive weathering the other parts of the armour get. On a couple of the previous shoulder pads I have added wear and tear ... and I had considered adding some battle damage (cracks / holes) at some point. I will definately bear it in mind for the rest of the squad.

Damnit David, you're making my already flimsy excuses for not touching my RG for two weeks even flimsier. If you've got time to do this kind of work and work on the board upgrade and have a job and a family and all I've got as an excuse is Civilization V then I feel even guiltier than before :lol:

On topic, the Greif lens and base add tremendous character as usual and the paint scheme is still making me envious in its simplicity and effect. The decals are also excellent, though I'm still not 100% sold on the large tac arrow on the leg. I think at this point the only thing that stands out for me, both for the mini and the squad, is that the armour has a lovely battered look and their weapons are nigh pristine. I understand taking good care of a weapon and all but I think if the armour is as scuffed as it is for this fellow then perhaps their weapons might've taken a knock somewhere along the line or picked up some of that dust/rust too.

I grant the melta has scorch marks but the bolters are just too pretty I think. It's not a major issue but it's what's been nagging me for a little while without me being able to pick up exactly what it was.

<Lies down>

Well Dr. Dave, it all begins with this repeating nightmare of being part of an army that never gets finished. I march to war accompanied by phantoms and ghosts but never any real Battle Brothers...do you ever get that feeling?

OK, OK, I'll quit whining and start painting again, happy now? :)

<Lies down>

Well Dr. Dave, it all begins with this repeating nightmare of being part of an army that never gets finished. I march to war accompanied by phantoms and ghosts but never any real Battle Brothers...do you ever get that feeling?

i always have this feeling.... it sucks - but i don't play the game, so its not that bad, it's only me who tends to know i have an innability to finish a thing... i just have too short an attention span. ^_^

these models are inspirational, and the work going into them is phenominal, which would generally be a good thing, but you make me wanna make something new.... dammit!

With the completion of two more marines (to be shown later) I once again returned to base making, so far the base making is giving me a chance to tell some stories and another outlet for my urge to create. I am happy with the "Rusty" hulk/spaceship feeling so far but decided to look into a more realistic looking rust theme last week. Rust to me always has "volume" and texture as well as colour, I wanted to try and capture the almost flaky/layered quality it seems to have.

Here are the two bases I did this week seeking that effect: -

ihbase5c.jpg

The "Ducting Cover" base above is the one I think I am happiest with overall ... it captures for me the texture and "volume" I am looking for. Every time I look at it I can see layer upon layer of rust with parts chipped away and revealing metal underneath where the duct has been used. This "recent" usage feeling is something I try to put in most of the base work as an overarching theme, the bases are meant to look rusty and old, but at the same time with little clues that hint that someone or something has been here recently. Like leaving grate covers open, small scuff marks showing metal under rust, removed floor plates and mines placed under tiles. These should all combine to aid the story we are trying to tell for the squad, advancing into what they believe is an occupied space hulk and once again small details aid believability and help to support the background we wish to convey to the observer at a sub-concious level.

ihbase7.jpg

For the second base I aimed at slightly less rust, attempting to practice and gain control of the new technique I was using. As I had mentioned in an earlier post (the Sgt. post) we are often helped in many ways by what we see others do and this is a good thing, but unless we try and build upon what we see and develop our own techniques we can end up stifling our own creativity. Accepting someone else's "solutions" is a good way to learn new things, but it should not stop us trying to do better on our own, standing on the shoulders of giants so to speak. That was the reason for this new rust technique, seeing if I could find a way to get what I wanted in my minds eye.

When I made the bases, I was visually more pleased with the second base, I quite liked the small floor based "control panel" next to the conduits/cables, while the first base was quite simple in design and was sufficient for the task (having depth under the grate etc), it also felt a bit boring in some ways. However for me that turned around after painting and rusting, the complexity of the layers of rust brought the first base to life for me in a way which the second base didn't have (with its less rusty approach).

So .. before I post the new Space Marines on the bases, which base do you prefer ? ... and does the rust look more realistic than my previous work ?

I actually think both bases are fine, but on an army-wide scale I'd rather see more of the "plain" bases.

Also, both sets of rusting again look fine; the first - in my mind - should look that way because of whatever substance might be passing through the grill could be causing corrosion, whereas the second looks like general "rust wear and tear".

Archived